AudioQuest DragonFly Black/Red

buddhabing

Novice Member
Hi,

I own a pair of Beyerdynamic DT990's (250ohm) and am looking for a portable dac/amp. Would an AudioQuest DragonFly Black be enough to drive them or should I be looking at a Red?

An aside to that, I have a Roland FP-10 digital piano with a 3.5mm jack for headphones. Would plugging the DragonFly in via a 3.5 to USB-A cable work?

Many Thanks

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Can't answer your first query but as to the second, that 3.5mm output on your piano will be an analogue output so there's nothing to be gained sound quality wise by plugging in the dragonfly.

buddhabing

Novice Member
Can't answer your first query but as to the second, that 3.5mm output on your piano will be an analogue output so there's nothing to be gained sound quality wise by plugging in the dragonfly.
Thanks for the reply. I realise it wouldn't be an ideal solution, but I am wondering if it will still make use of the amp to increase the volume?

Going Grey Now

Hi,

I own a pair of Beyerdynamic DT990's (250ohm) and am looking for a portable dac/amp. Would an AudioQuest DragonFly Black be enough to drive them or should I be looking at a Red?
Although I don’t have your specific headphones, I went through a similar process earlier this year.
My cans are Sennheiser HD650 which are 300 ohm. I initially purchased a DF Black and although I was more than happy with overall SQ, I found it a bit lacking (volume wise) when listening through the 650s. I’m sure that some would find the volume perfectly OK though.
I then moved on, sold the DF Black and bought a DF Red. Although I accept that the Red has a “better” Sabre DAC chip, etc, I have to say that in pure SQ terms, I couldn’t hear much of a difference - probably down to me/my equipment - who knows? Anyway, the biggest benefit for me was that the Red drove the 650s with more volume & authority. not surprising when looking at the output (2.1v compared to the 1.2v of the DF black).
I would be keeping the DF Red long term were it not for the fact that I have recently purchased a new amp with excellent headphone stage and also just embarked on a journey with a Raspberry Pi 4 streamer where I’ve decided to go with the option of a DAC HAT.
Hope some of this might help with your decision.

buddhabing

Novice Member
Although I don’t have your specific headphones, I went through a similar process earlier this year.
My cans are Sennheiser HD650 which are 300 ohm. I initially purchased a DF Black and although I was more than happy with overall SQ, I found it a bit lacking (volume wise) when listening through the 650s. I’m sure that some would find the volume perfectly OK though.
I then moved on, sold the DF Black and bought a DF Red. Although I accept that the Red has a “better” Sabre DAC chip, etc, I have to say that in pure SQ terms, I couldn’t hear much of a difference - probably down to me/my equipment - who knows? Anyway, the biggest benefit for me was that the Red drove the 650s with more volume & authority. not surprising when looking at the output (2.1v compared to the 1.2v of the DF black).
I would be keeping the DF Red long term were it not for the fact that I have recently purchased a new amp with excellent headphone stage and also just embarked on a journey with a Raspberry Pi 4 streamer where I’ve decided to go with the option of a DAC HAT.
Hope some of this might help with your decision.
Thanks, really good info. I am making do without atm, but your experience makes me think I would be better off with the DF Red when I get one.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 4K OLED TV Review | The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom