AudioQuest Dragonfly Cobalt DAC Review & Comments

I didn’t try it, but expect the TA to sound incredibly dynamic using its Sony proprietary connection to a Sony Walkman. As other owners have confirmed.
I think you made a good decision to return the unit based on the above summary of the price versus performance

Does anybody use devices like these to improve the quality of sound from their mobile phones? (Streaming Tidal and listening via headphones)

Thanks

@indus yes devices such as this are for both portable and computer listening. People who own devices like this usually already own earphones or headphones that are an upgrade over manufacturer stock earphones. If you do not yet own upgraded earphones or headphones I would look there first.

@indus yes devices such as this are for both portable and computer listening. People who own devices like this usually already own earphones or headphones that are an upgrade over manufacturer stock earphones. If you do not yet own upgraded earphones or headphones I would look there first.

Thanks. I have Sony mx1000 mk3 which are very decent headphones.
Tbh I don't use headphones for serious listening but was just wondering whether devices like this would improve the sound quality.
Cheers

Thanks. I have Sony mx1000 mk3 which are very decent headphones.
Tbh I don't use headphones for serious listening but was just wondering whether devices like this would improve the sound quality.
Cheers

Aren't you using your MX1000Mk3 via BT? This will only have any effect on wired headphone connections and even then the wireless designed headphone may still use its own built-in DAC anyway to decode to the headphone speakers in the earcups (not sure if internal DAC bypassed in wired mode on the Sony's)

AudioQuest DragonFly Cobalt

USB DAC

Tec specs: DragonFly Cobalt · AudioQuest

Initial impressions.

There are many positive reviews of this third and top of the line incarnation of the DragonFly Cobalt USB DAC.

I used the DAC with all apple products including MacBook Pro, iPad and iPhone, listening to standard red book, and hi-res FLAC files. Headphones PSB over ear M4Us (which also get great reviews - and I can attest to their sound quality).

In short, I wasn’t expecting to hear a night and day difference when using the DAC, however I was expecting a change, subtle or otherwise. I tested and listed for a number of hours over a two-day period and have to report no discernible difference listening to tracks with/without the DragonFly in place. A change in logo lights indicated the unit was working and recognising file variations.

Testing was completed at the same volume levels, which is important as some DACs including the Cobalt lift the noise level. This is sometimes confused with a DAC creating an improved sound experience.

In fact, when using the DAC and watching Netflix it sounded worse.

I contacted Audioquest - They said that the unit was working correctly, and listening was a very subjective experience.

I’ve had familiarity with quite a number of DACs and have always noticed variations, sometimes subtle, sometimes quite significant (Chord products).

I would strongly recommend that you try before you buy with this product, using your own equipment when testing. This may avoid disappointment given the high accolades its received and associated cost. On the other hand, it could be more suitable to your kit? If not, save the money and spend it on a better pair of headphones or if it’s a desk top solution, a better DAC.

Cheers

In my experience the AQ Cobalt sounds outstanding when listening with Tidal Hifi and MQA music. When connected with a iPhone or IPad and Grado headphones this Cobalt demonstrates a huge amount of detail and clarity.
I was sceptical if this little DAC could perform well via my hi end audio set up.
I contacted AQ and they suggested a decent 3.5mm to rca cable from their range (Big Sur) I followed their advice. I used this cable from my Fujitsu ultrabook using Audirvana music software and connected to my Meridian AV.
The sound with this DAC was dynamic, authoritative and detailed (especially with MQA tracks) I am highly impressed with the Cobalt.For the money, it’s remarkable!

Last edited:
Well I've owned the original Dragonfly, the Red+Jitterbug and the Cobalt.

Like every other sort of equipment out there , I'd recommend an audition of some sort before you buy. But to me the Cobalt is OUTSTANDING. Clear detailed sound, a more lively and accurate presentation than the Red+Jitterbug. And it works brilliantly with my Samsung S20 Ultra and Tidal MQA via Grado PS500 headphones.

Just picked up a complete boxed Cobalt in excellent condition from Cash Convertors in Slough for £110.
I'll learn to like it at that price !!

I have had the DFRed for a few months now, and as I have new speakers (Amphion Argon 3LS) I "think" an upgrade to the DF Cobalt may be the thing to do....Tell me if I am wrong :) :) (PS, its just soley to go between PC and the Anthem amp, I do not use a phone)

I have had the DFRed for a few months now, and as I have new speakers (Amphion Argon 3LS) I "think" an upgrade to the DF Cobalt may be the thing to do....Tell me if I am wrong :) :) (PS, its just soley to go between PC and the Anthem amp, I do not use a phone)

If portability isn’t an issue, then Ed Selley did a favourable review of the iFi Audio Zen DAC (£130) recently.

Worth adding it to your list of DACs to audition.

Regards,
James.

Just picked up a Cobalt now. I am new to headphone DACs but I did try headphones throughout the time, ones I liked the most were a piece of Grado SR325is which I miss and feel sad for selling them.
Currently I own a pair of B&W P7 wireless which I use in wired mode at home office or rarely wireless.

As these headphones have a bit laid-back sound especially mid, it took me some time to move from Grado to them but now I like it more because it's more balanced for all genres of music.
Putting the Cobalt on made a difference, massive compared to laptop's audio jack and on my phone I can finally have cable music (S20+ has no audio jack). I am sure it sounds much more better overall than my previous S9+ audio jack, power, lively, accurate, pretty much everything.

One thing though makes me a bit unimpressed. I have an old Cowon Q5W and I am still willing to find the mobile DAC that can drive the headphones like this big old guy. The guitars in metal genre is just so awesomely in your face, a bit reaching Grado's signature....reaching. I am unimpressed that the Cobalt cannot do that, I guess is more a matter of signature than quality. The Cobalt definitely sounds cleaner.

Thinking of going down the external dac rather than bluetooth headphone route for my next phone (which probably won't have a 3.5mm socket). Just wondering if the audioqest passes through the microphone for calls and works with the inline remote for play / pause volume etc. Thanks!

Apologies for reviving an old thread, but I thought I would add my recent experience. I bought a dragonfly cobalt a few weeks ago, and was pleased with it at first, but it soon developed the wobbly headphone socket problem that others have mentioned. Judging by comments elsewhere online, this problem is common and ongoing. For such an expensive product this shoddy manufacture is unforgivable.
I have returned mine for a refund, and will avoid Audioquest products in future.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom