Audirvana 3.5 + Chromcast Audio

vitalion

Established Member
Reaction score
I am planning to get the new Audirvana 3.5 app for Mac to use for my FLAC library, as well as the remote app for iOS in order to control my playbacks.
Before i proceed with my purchase i have some questions:

I have a chromecast audio connected to Rotel RA-12 via optical and i want to use it as a streamer for my music that it will be play via Audiorvana. Does audirvana supports streaming to chromecast audio on full resolution? no compression?

thanks a lot.

Regards
V.

Audirvana does not support the Google Cast network streaming technology, used by Chromecast devices. The only network audio streaming technologies that Audirvana supports are industry standard UPnP/DLNA and Apple's AirPlay.

Chromecast devices are not UPnP/DLNA streamers (just in case that was the reason why you thought you could use your Chromecast Audio with Audirvana) - it's a common misconception!

Having said that, you can use the BubbleUPnP Server helper application to create a DLNA renderer for your Chromecast Audio, to bridge the incompatible UPnP/DLNA and Google Cast streaming technologies:
Docs/Config Media Renderers.md | BubbleUPnP Server

You should then be able to select the Chromecast Audio created DLNA renderer as an Audio Device in Audirvana's Audio System tab, which will get Audirvana to stream its audio output over the network to the Chromecast Audio via the BubbleUPnP Server.

Audirvana sends its audio output from playing FLAC files in the playlist, to the selected UPnP/DLNA streamer, as losslessly uncompressed PCM streams (contained in WAV files).

However, to avoid any unwanted resampling by Audirvana's playback engine, you need to make sure that the streamer's correct supported maximum PCM resolution bit depth & sample rate is set correctly in the Audio System tab - that would be 24 bits and 96kHz for the Chromecast Audio.
Also, by default Audirvana is setup for bit-perfect playback, but you can configure any required DSP on the Audio Filters tab.

Bear in mind, Audirvana's gapless playback support for UPnP/DLNA streamers won't work with the BubbleUPnP created DLNA renderer, because Chromecast devices do not support gapless playback.

Last edited:
Audirvana does not support the Google Cast network streaming technology, used by Chromecast devices. The only network audio streaming technologies that Audirvana supports are industry standard UPnP/DLNA and Apple's AirPlay.

Chromecast devices are not UPnP/DLNA streamers (just in case that was the reason why you thought you could use your Chromecast Audio with Audirvana) - it's a common misconception!

Having said that, you can use the BubbleUPnP Server helper application to create a DLNA renderer for your Chromecast Audio, to bridge the incompatible UPnP/DLNA and Google Cast streaming technologies:

You should then be able to select the Chromecast Audio created DLNA renderer as an Audio Device in Audirvana's Audio System tab, which will get Audirvana to stream its audio output over the network to the Chromecast Audio via the BubbleUPnP Server.

Audirvana sends its audio output from playing FLAC files in the playlist, to the selected UPnP/DLNA streamer, as losslessly uncompressed PCM streams (contained in WAV files).

However, to avoid any unwanted resampling by Audirvana's playback engine, you need to make sure that the streamer's correct supported maximum PCM resolution bit depth & sample rate is set correctly in the Audio System tab - that would be 24 bits and 96kHz for the Chromecast Audio.
Also, by default Audirvana is setup for bit-perfect playback, but you can configure any required DSP on the Audio Filters tab.

Bear in mind, Audirvana's gapless playback support for UPnP/DLNA streamers won't work with the BubbleUPnP created DLNA renderer, because Chromecast devices do not support gapless playback.

Hello,

Thanks for the detailed reply and the configuration help. I will give it a try later today. By the way i have one more question. if i buy the iOS remote control app for audirvana i will able to use it with the chromecast audio and having my mac as the library? I am looking for a similar approach as the one with iTunes and iOS remote for iTunes that you can cast to apple TVs and Airplay devices.

thanks again

By the way i have one more question. if i buy the iOS remote control app for audirvana i will able to use it with the chromecast audio and having my mac as the library? I am looking for a similar approach as the one with iTunes and iOS remote for iTunes that you can cast to apple TVs and Airplay devices.
According to the Audirvana Remote iOS app's description on the Apple App store, you'll be able to remotely:
- Browse all music libraries accessible from Audirvana;
- Create, rename and reorganize your playlists on Audirvana;
- Precisely adjust the sound level with the Audirvana's internal digital volume control;
- Choose Audirvana's output audio device. So this would include selecting the BubbleUPnP Server's created DLNA renderer (that you've hopefully managed to create on the BubbleUPnP Server for the Chromecast Audio) as Audirvana's output audio device.

So, yes your experience with the Audirvana control app controlling Audirvana on the computer with the created DLNA renderer for the Chromecast Audio selected as Audirvana's output audio device, should be similar to the iTunes remote iOS app controlling iTunes on the computer to send its audio output to an AirPlay supporting device.

However, you need to first make sure that you have created the DLNA renderer for the Chromecast Audio in BubbleUPnP Server, that the created Chromecast Audio DLNA renderer is able to be selected as Audirvana's audio device and that you've properly tested, using Audirvana on the computer itself, that the combination works to your satisfaction.

Last edited:
According to the Audirvana Remote iOS app's description on the Apple App store, you'll be able to remotely:
- Browse all music libraries accessible from Audirvana;
- Create, rename and reorganize your playlists on Audirvana;
- Precisely adjust the sound level with the Audirvana's internal digital volume control;
- Choose Audirvana's output audio device. So this would include selecting the BubbleUPnP Server's created DLNA renderer (that you've hopefully managed to create on the BubbleUPnP Server for the Chromecast Audio) as Audirvana's output audio device.

So, yes your experience with the Audirvana control app controlling Audirvana on the computer with the created DLNA renderer for the Chromecast Audio selected as Audirvana's output audio device, should be similar to the iTunes remote iOS app controlling iTunes on the computer to send its audio output to an AirPlay supporting device.

However, you need to first make sure that you have created the DLNA renderer for the Chromecast Audio in BubbleUPnP Server, that the created Chromecast Audio DLNA renderer is able to be selected as Audirvana's audio device and that you've properly tested, using Audirvana on the computer itself, that the combination works to your satisfaction.

Hello again and thanks for reply.

I ve managed to setup DLNA render via BubbleUPnP for Audirvana and it works flawlessly :) i really appreciate the help and the guidance from you on archiving this! :smashin:

Since i was browsing to find any other suggestion i came across Roon (it looks awsome and packed with features but the subscription cost its kind of expensive) so i will pass

The other option that came up while i was browsing is Plex. I used to have Plex for movies and TV shows but i switched to Infuse which is really nice with Apple TV 4K.

Please correct me if i am wrong, but Plex offers almost the same functionality as Audirvana but for free. Plex server on iMac and Plex app on iPhone. From there you can directly stream to CCA all FLAC with no compressions or quality loss.

Based on your knowledge and experience which option is better in terms of audio quality and functionality.

of course i am open to any other suggestion for apps that offer similar characteristics and functionality.

thanks again.
V.

Hello again and thanks for reply.

I ve managed to setup DLNA render via BubbleUPnP for Audirvana and it works flawlessly :) i really appreciate the help and the guidance from you on archiving this! :smashin:

Since i was browsing to find any other suggestion i came across Roon (it looks awsome and packed with features but the subscription cost its kind of expensive) so i will pass

The other option that came up while i was browsing is Plex. I used to have Plex for movies and TV shows but i switched to Infuse which is really nice with Apple TV 4K.

Please correct me if i am wrong, but Plex offers almost the same functionality as Audirvana but for free. Plex server on iMac and Plex app on iPhone. From there you can directly stream to CCA all FLAC with no compressions or quality loss.

Based on your knowledge and experience which option is better in terms of audio quality and functionality.

of course i am open to any other suggestion for apps that offer similar characteristics and functionality.

thanks again.
V.
A low cost solution if upnp/dlna will work for you is MinimServer on your Mac and mConnectHD on iOS as a control point. MinimServer gives endless user configured tagging options. The mConnect HD interface may not be as whizzy as Audirvana but an awful lot cheaper.

A low cost solution if upnp/dlna will work for you is MinimServer on your Mac and mConnectHD on iOS as a control point. MinimServer gives endless user configured tagging options. The mConnect HD interface may not be as whizzy as Audirvana but an awful lot cheaper.

hello,

thanks i will check it out. :)

Another excellent low cost solution would be Logitech Media Server. It supports Chromecast using the Castbridge plugin and there's software players available for most devices.

I've tried most of the various options and LMS is by far my favourite solution.

It's likely that you'll have no issues streaming FLAC files from Plex, but it's unclear that it can do so bit pefectly in all situations with the Chromecast Audio. That's the problem with using software which is heavily biased towards providing video media - audio file serving can be inflexible and unlikely to have the same careful consideration provided by media server software designed to just handle audio files.

One such audio dedicated UPnP media server is the excellent, well supported, free (donations welcome) MinimServer, as mentioned by @Antiquarian. You'll not to get any nasty surprises with audio file streaming using MinimServer!

Audirvana's UPnP/DLNA support actually consists of a built-in UPnP/DLNA controller as well as a media server. So if you are going to use MinimServer instead of Audirvana with the Chromecast Audio (via the BubbleUPnP Server), you are also going to need a UPnP/DLNA controller, as MinimServer does not come with a UPnP/DLNA controller.

Another thing to consider is that there are some UPnP/DLNA controller apps that also support Chromecast devices, so they would allow you to stream from MinimServer without needing the BubbleUPnP Server's created DLNA renderer for Chromecast devices, eg, the mconnect Player iOS app, with the free mconnect Player Lite version available for testing. The mconnect Player HD version, as mentioned by @Antiquarian, has been designed to be used in landscape mode, so ideal for use with the iPad. The 'HD' in its name is about its fancy 'HD' landscape display & absolutely nothing to do with audio streaming quality.

An alternative type of app to use to stream from UPnP/DLNA media servers like MinimServer would be an OpenHome streamer controller, eg, the free Linn Kazoo app. This would require you to still use the BubbleUPnP Server, but you'd need to create an OpenHome renderer for the Chromecast Audio, instead of the DLNA renderer you created for it previously.

BTW, @Jamie 's suggestion of using the free Logitech Media Server with the Chromecast bridge / CastBridge 3rd party LMS plugin is definitely worth trying as an alternative. The bonus with the CastBridge plugin is that it has a Flow option, which gets Chromecast devices to play gaplessly.

LMS actually comes with a simple built-in controller accessed via any web browser. The Material Skin 3rd party LMS plugin provides very decent display pages for LMS's web browser controller.

Last edited:
It's likely that you'll have no issues streaming FLAC files from Plex, but it's unclear that it can do so bit pefectly in all situations with the Chromecast Audio. That's the problem with using software which is heavily biased towards providing video media - audio file serving can be inflexible and unlikely to have the same careful consideration provided by media server software designed to just handle audio files.

One such audio dedicated UPnP media server is the excellent, well supported, free (donations welcome) MinimServer, as mentioned by @Antiquarian. You'll not to get any nasty surprises with audio file streaming using MinimServer!

Audirvana's UPnP/DLNA support actually consists of a built-in UPnP/DLNA controller as well as a media server. So if you are going to use MinimServer instead of Audirvana with the Chromecast Audio (via the BubbleUPnP Server), you are also going to need a UPnP/DLNA controller, as MinimServer does not come with a UPnP/DLNA controller.

Another thing to consider is that there are some UPnP/DLNA controller apps that also support Chromecast devices, so they would allow you to stream from MinimServer without needing the BubbleUPnP Server's created DLNA renderer for Chromecast devices, eg, the mconnect Player iOS app, with the free mconnect Player Lite version available for testing. The mconnect Player HD version, as mentioned by @Antiquarian, has been designed to be used in landscape mode, so ideal for use with the iPad. The 'HD' in its name is about its fancy 'HD' landscape display & absolutely nothing to do with audio streaming quality.

An alternative type of app to use to stream from UPnP/DLNA media servers like MinimServer would be an OpenHome streamer controller, eg, the free Linn Kazoo app. This would require you to still use the BubbleUPnP Server, but you'd need to create an OpenHome renderer for the Chromecast Audio, instead of the DLNA renderer you created for it previously.

BTW, @Jamie 's suggestion of using the free Logitech Media Server with the Chromecast bridge / CastBridge 3rd party LMS plugin is definitely worth trying as an alternative. The bonus with the CastBridge plugin is that it has a Flow option, which gets Chromecast devices to play gaplessly.

LMS actually comes with a simple built-in controller accessed via any web browser. The Material Skin 3rd party LMS plugin provides very decent display pages for LMS's web browser controller.
Thank you @Cebolla for elaborating on my post re: MinimServer and mConnect. To @vitalion I have both Audirvana 3.5 and MinimServer, Audirvana is on my MacBook and I use this when away from home through a portable dac. My home system though is MinimServer as it is light years ahead of the competition for serving classical music the way I want it indexed, and having MinimServer also on the MacBook means that I can play some of my music on Brother-in-law’s system when we visit:D As with all things, horses for courses, try a couple of systems and stick with what you like the best.

Hello all.
Thanks for the extensive instructions and suggestions. MinimServer Looks powerfull and serves the purpose of a media server to a very high standard. I will spend some time with it to get more familiar. I have tried this app with kazoo Linn and it works very well - apart from the volume knob which is stacked at level 50 and i can not interact with it - increase or decrease the volume. i have tried the other options that you suggest for controlers as well but i was not very happy with the UI so I might skip them.

I will try the other option as well. The one with the Logitech Media Server and i will do some search around to find a good controller for iOS.

i will let you know in a few days on how i am planning to proceed. I was a huge fun of Glider app for iOS but is been a while since the last update and now is not very stable with mew iPhone and iOS 13. AFAK the developer of the app is not very active at the moment and i doubt that there will be any update anytime soon. Thats why i am on the search for a replacement.

thanks again for the responses and if you have any further suggestions or comments please throw them in here.

as a backup plan and (on the expensive side) i have Audirvana and JRiver.

Hi. Interesting thread. With some excellent advice. One thing which came to mind was to check out the gapless playback situation when checking out all the combinations. I use Audirvana on a Windows PC, connected to a Topping D10 DAC locally (cheap but decent and handles DSD). Also DLNA to a Yamaha WXC-50 (great unit for the price). Gapless is fine locally, and OK via DLNA. The biggest limitation is the A+ remote control app which has a number of frustrations. It often can't find the PC to connect to. It's also glacially slow browsing. And unresponsive when jumping around in the collection. Anyway, just some random thoughts. :)

Edit: By pure coincidence the A+ remote has been updated in the past few days. Initial impressions are it's a big improvement. Much more responsive. Jury out on connectivity but so far it's worked fine.

Last edited:
I will try the other option as well. The one with the Logitech Media Server and i will do some search around to find a good controller for iOS.
I'm not an iOS user but iPeng was the best a couple of years ago when I used to use an iPod touch. It looks like it's still supported and available so worth a look.
TBH I'm a recent returner to using LMS and the Material skin has been released in the meantime, I've been pretty impressed just using the web interface in a browser on my phone. The material skin fully supports mobile browsing which makes controller apps less necessary than it once was.

Hello again.
As I have said on a previous post [...]i will let you know in a few days on how i am planning to proceed.

Currently I am full on with Minimserver (very solid and fast) and Linn Kazoo and everything works great with chromecast audio.

2-3 days ago i found iPeng iOS app and it looks very solid with an awesome interface (to my eyes it looks way better than the one from linn) but unfortunately is only compatible with LMS. Additionally, the app has some cool features similar to the ones that are offered by roon (artist bio, album infomrmation etc) via various plugins available from LMS. Is not like roon but it has some cool info for the music that you have on the LMS. i belive that it retrives the info from sources like allMusic, lastFM etc.

I was wandering if anyone is using this combination of LMS and iPeng to give me some more info.

thanks a lot.

regards
V.

Just a quick thanks for this info. Got it working on my Mac Pro 5,1
Audirvana/Tidal/BubbleUPnP/Chromecast

One thing I noticed was that when in Bubble web UI when I click create DNLA Renderer for the Chromecast all options are Greyed out. Not sure it's a biggie as it sounds great anyway. There's also a tab in settings that lets you disable Chromecast decoding. Not sure if this has any bearing in this setup but I disabled it anyway.

Thanks again.

No worries!

BTW, the options are probably disabled because FFmpeg either is not installed on your Mac or the BubbleUPnP Server can't find it for some reason. It shouldn't matter for streaming from TIDAL via Audirvana, as the 24bit/96kHz max WAV file tracks supplied to the Chromecast are natively supported by it so don't require any intervention by FFmpeg.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom