Audyssey App discussion - chat about midrange compensation and post your graphs here!

Agree with Jontell. Your sub rolls off where much of the deep bass is - namely 20hz to 50hz. You may want read around this and other threads on the forum to establish how to negate that. I also agree that you may want to turn off mid range compensation (MRC) and see whether you prefer it that way.

Thank you both for your replies.
I have no idea how to adjust the roll off, I will read some more and hopefully get that sorted.

It’s not something you adjust as such. It’s down to your sub capabilities, position etc. Maybe post the model up so we check the specs. Like said above your missing out on a chunk of bass.

It’s not something you adjust as such. It’s down to your sub capabilities, position etc. Maybe post the model up so we check the specs. Like said above your missing out on a chunk of bass.

The sub is Monitor Audio Bronze W10.
The speakers are Monitor audio Bronze 2
AVR is a Denon 4300

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the detailed response. I may look to move the sub slightly as i’m stuck for where it can go, but am greatly reassured that the dip may not be noticeable.

In relation to setting the crossover on the sub and the AVR for the LFE channel at 80hz - I thought i’d give a couple of theories a go. In particular- section 111: setting crossovers is worth a read.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-...e-subwoofer-calibration-bass-preferences.html
Thanks for that link as i hadn't come across that guide before. I've only had a quick read of the section you mentioned and it's the first time I've come across cascading crossovers. Seems to be worth experimenting with if you like to run your sub quite hot :thumbsup:

The sub is Monitor Audio Bronze W10.
The speakers are Monitor audio Bronze 2
Abrar is a Denon 4300
Can you upload some pics of your setup?

I'd personally avoid disabling MRC until you find out whats causing your issues at 2.5khz as those main channel graphs are not what i would have expected given your equipment unless its been heavily compromised by positioning.

Same for the sub, however there's some scope for a settings change here by using the bass switch. Looking at the W10 manual would suggest that Music mode should give the best response, however my own Monitor Audio sub behaves in the reverse so I'm not sure if the manual is incorrect or they've reversed how that switch operates. You can only really experiment with both modes and see which gives the best results, but even on the worst setting (Impact mode) I'd expect more extension than your getting.

For reference - I have set the crossover point for the front 3 speakers at 80hz and have also set the LPF of the LFE channel at 80hz in an attempt to cascade the crossovers.

Setting the LPF to 80Hz means that the sub will not play any frequencies above 80Hz. Your subwoofer chart shows that no frequencies above 80Hz are being EQ'd.

Setting the LPF to 80Hz means that the sub will not play any frequencies above 80Hz. Your subwoofer chart shows that no frequencies above 80Hz are being EQ'd.

Yes I made a mistake before I calibrated my system. I was supposed to allow the frequency range to go to its highest setting on the Sub itself and not adjust the LPF setting on AVR before calibration. Although I bypassed the frequency range control on the sub, therefore not restricting it to 120hz, I forgot that the LPF was set to 80hz on the AVR from a prevous calibration. I dont know if that made a difference, but it could explain why no frequences above 80hz have are being EQ'd. I just dont know whether i can face calibrating the whole set up again :(

Last edited:
I re did this today and I’m disappointed with the results, here’s the sub graph. The second graph was the one I did months ago.

7DCAA664-91E9-49FB-8715-B8636CF82143.png
27778AB5-B548-4D6B-8E3B-C71C94AEA291.png

I re did this today and I’m disappointed with the results, here’s the sub graph. The second graph was the one I did months ago.

View attachment 1190940 View attachment 1190941
Strange, has anything in the environment changed? Looks like a re-cal is required to see what results you get on another run.
My results which I'm happy with and get consistently when doing a calibration.
Sub.png Sub Curve Editor .png

Can you upload some pics of your setup?

I'd personally avoid disabling MRC until you find out whats causing your issues at 2.5khz as those main channel graphs are not what i would have expected given your equipment unless its been heavily compromised by positioning.

Same for the sub, however there's some scope for a settings change here by using the bass switch. Looking at the W10 manual would suggest that Music mode should give the best response, however my own Monitor Audio sub behaves in the reverse so I'm not sure if the manual is incorrect or they've reversed how that switch operates. You can only really experiment with both modes and see which gives the best results, but even on the worst setting (Impact mode) I'd expect more extension than your getting.

Hi,
Thank you for your reply.
Here are the pictures of the set up.
Silly question, should I factory reset the AVR prior to using the app?

Thank you again.
Alex.
thumbnail_20190903_175811.jpg
thumbnail_20190903_175838.jpg

Hi,

Thank you again.
Alex.
View attachment 1190960 View attachment 1190961
You certainly need to reposition your speakers. Just like you I have my speakers on a cabinet. Having them that far back is picking up reflections from the cabinet top. Bring them all forward to that they are sitting proud of the front of the shelf by around 25mm.

Hi,

Thank you again.
Alex.
No, no need to factory reset the AVR. Your beautiful wooden floor will also be a culprit of reflections. Nice bigger thick rug will sort that, if you can get away with it ;)

No, no need to factory reset the AVR. Your beautiful wooden floor will also be a culprit of reflections. Nice bigger thick rug will sort that, if you can get away with it ;)
Thank you both for the reply.
I will move the speakers to the front of the unit, wife will kill me if I put a rug in front of the unit but will definitely give it a try at the weekend when she is at work and see how it goes
Thank you both again.

Hi,

Thank you again.
Alex.
As above, you need to reposition those speakers (to the best of your ability given the rooms use). Ideally on dedicated stands, but if that's a no go then I'd also suggest pulling them to the front of the unit and preferably sitting on some sort of isolation platform (angled slightly upward to minimise your floor reflections). If threatened with castration then it may be necessary to live with the current comromised position with some isolation like these or similar with the wedge angling the speaker up.

Have you checked to see what mode setting the subwoofer is on? And is there any scope to move it to a corner as this should give you a bit of a boost?

View attachment 1190940 View attachment 1190941
Tbh they look similar enough to just be the difference in mic positions from last time to this. You'll never get the mic positions the same each time and a few inches in mic (or sub/speaker) position can have drastic effects on the frequency response. Did you have the curve editor set to roll off at the low end this time? Looks like your rolling off from 25hz where you were flat to 20 last time.

Tbh they look similar enough to just be the difference in mic positions from last time to this. You'll never get the mic positions the same each time and a few inches in mic (or sub/speaker) position can have drastic effects on the frequency response. Did you have the curve editor set to roll off at the low end this time? Looks like your rolling off from 25hz where you were flat to 20 last time.

Colin and tebbo,

It could be as I only moved the mic 8” around the 1st position and went 4” higher with position 7&8. Also I’m sure I normally calibrate with my sitting room door open as that’s how it is when we’re in there but this time I had it pulled to but not shut.
I didn’t touch the curve editor I’m not sure about those adjustments. Have you compared the app to the inbuilt at any point ?

Colin and tebbo,

It could be as I only moved the mic 8” around the 1st position and went 4” higher with position 7&8. Also I’m sure I normally calibrate with my sitting room door open as that’s how it is when we’re in there but this time I had it pulled to but not shut.
I didn’t touch the curve editor I’m not sure about those adjustments. Have you compared the app to the inbuilt at any point ?
Hi buddy,
Reckon that's the reason. Bite the bullet and have another bash with the door open (this acts as a natural absorber) and mic position more like previous time. Bet you a coffee you get different results.
Apparently the only difference between inbuilt v app was the enforced roll off at just above 20Hz via the app but that's been rectified.
I've not done a comparison BTW but would never go back to inbuilt due to not being able to tweak and see the results.
Go for it and let us know the results. Good luck.

Last edited:
Hi buddy,
Reckon that's the reason. Bite the bullet and have another bash with the door open (this acts as a natural absorber) and mic position more like previous time. Bet you a coffee you get different results.
Apparently the only difference between inbuilt v app was the enforced roll off at just above 20Hz via the app but that's been rectified.
I've not done a comparison BTW but would never go back to inbuilt due to not being able to tweak and see the results.

Thanks, I think I will have another go soon, trouble is getting it quiet enough, seagulls, pigeons, dogs barking, aeroplanes, cars passing outside!!.

Hi buddy,
I'm not sure about that, I got totally different results. From the app version compared to the avr, when icused the app it sucked all the bass out of the subs, I reran xt32 with the avr and everything was normal again

Colin and tebbo,

The door can have a pretty big effect on the bass frequencies so I'd re-calibrate with the door open if that's how you normally watch and see how you get on. Just double check the curve shape to make sure the roll off is disabled.

I cant have the app :( so I'm unable help you with specifics on how it operates. We're getting to that time of year, maybe Santa will sort me out :laugh:

I'm not sure about that, I got totally different results. From the app version compared to the avr, when icused the app it sucked all the bass out of the subs, I reran xt32 with the avr and everything was normal again

Was that after the latest app update ?, I remember using the inbuilt app when I first got the marantz, I wish I had saved that one as it was very good especially dialogue but after my 7012 was replaced it was suggested not to use the saved settings incase they were corrupt.

The door can have a pretty big effect on the bass frequencies so I'd re-calibrate with the door open if that's how you normally watch and see how you get on. Just double check the curve shape to make sure the roll off is disabled.

I cant have the app :( so I'm unable help you with specifics on how it operates. We're getting to that time of year, maybe Santa will sort me out :laugh:

I will check that but I don't think it's a straight line.
I was thinking of a Yamaha 3080 or similar but I don't think I will be any better off tbh. Well maybe less heat but it's autumn now!.
I was wondering whether to try just the 3 mic positions and see how that goes.

Was that after the latest app update ?, I remember using the inbuilt app when I first got the marantz, I wish I had saved that one as it was very good especially dialogue but after my 7012 was replaced it was suggested not to use the saved settings incase they were corrupt.
Yeah it was or is the latest version, I might have another go over the weekend.

I did find my speakers seemed clearer, but as I said hardly any bass

Hi all, sorry for the delay. The Sun & Beer is great here in Tenerife but the Internet is pants!!!
As promised see attached a copy of the official Audyssey MultEQ App guide. Also my guide to how I set up systems (lots) using the app.
However;
  • I have compiled it knowing what I know and appreciate parts of it may be gobbledegook to some. But please do ask stupid questions and I'll do my best to clarify.
  • Results will always vary on room acoustic environment,room treatment, speaker/sub capability/placement etc. Auto EQ will only do so much.
  • I'm mainly basing it on use with Audyssey XT32. Audyssey XT requires a bit of extra work.
  • Later Denon/Marantz models may vary slightly from my unit in how they function, Subwoofer level adjust for example. However ask and again I can clarify.
  • I am a big believer in limiting Audyssey Auto Correction to the bass frequencies (Schroeder). However you may prefer or your environment may require full range correction?
  • Mid Range Compensation is negated by my use of Schroeder but will be left for you to decide if it's on or off if employing full range correction. Do some research but my advice, switch it off. I know that where it is applied by Audyssey 2kHz isn't even the crossover point of my speakers!
  • You will notice I don't refer to or need to use the 'Curve Editor' at all.
Enjoy :thumbsup:

Hi @tebbo65, following your latest version of your instructions, I just wanted to check this with you...

Step 1. Run Audyssey MultEQ via app to the letter, especially sub/s level in the green box thing (XT32). XT version will require more work. Suggest doing a few 3 point only runs to get the sub/s trim level to -11dB ish.

To get the sub level coming back at -10.5dB it is well into the red in the "green box thing" so I'm basically ignoring it and moving on, is that right as to me "...to the letter, especially..." doesn't mean ignore?

Hi @tebbo65, following your latest version of your instructions, I just wanted to check this with you...

Step 1. Run Audyssey MultEQ via app to the letter, especially sub/s level in the green box thing (XT32). XT version will require more work. Suggest doing a few 3 point only runs to get the sub/s trim level to -11dB ish.

To get the sub level coming back at -10.5dB it is well into the red in the "green box thing" so I'm basically ignoring it and moving on, is that right as to me "...to the letter, especially..." doesn't mean ignore?
What AVR model have you got?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom