Question Audyssey Room EQ and Speaker Level Settings

digitaldave

Established Member
Reaction score
If I run the Audyssey room EQ on my amp (Denon AAVR-X3500H), does this set the correct volume levels for each speaker? Are manual level settings and Audyssey setup mutually exclusive? The reason I'm asking is because when I got my system, I ran the Audyssey setup, but I feel that the surround channels may be a bit low.

Thanks.

If I run the Audyssey room EQ on my amp (Denon AAVR-X3500H), does this set the correct volume levels for each speaker? Are manual level settings and Audyssey setup mutually exclusive? The reason I'm asking is because when I got my system, I ran the Audyssey setup, but I feel that the surround channels may be a bit low.

Thanks.
audyssey normally gets the levels spot on,i always checked with a spl meter to get them spot on,and 0db on the volume scale to measure 75db.

Just be aware that running the amp's internal test tones will probably bypass Audyssey. This is frustrating because it means you can't check directly with an SPL meter.

However if you have a test disc with pink noise on (such as the Atmos test disc I use), then you can play the disc with Audyssey/Dirac/Whatever engaged and get a true reading: Typically I find it's pretty much spot on though on the various amps I've had over the years.

[I only tend to do this now because my particular amp (Arcam AVR390) doesn't set a proper reference level so I check with the disc and move all the speaker levels up or down by the same amount so that I can know what true reference level is for my set up. Previous Marantz/Denon amps seemed to set the levels spot on, though there is no harm in turning them up a bit if you prefer it: Sometimes a lower overall listening level can do with the surrounds boosting a dB or two.]

Nothing to stop you adjusting the levels after calibrating as it will not affect anything with regard to room EQ.

Hanks for the replies everyone. I’m going to have a play around with things later, maybe even re-run the Audyssey setup with the mic on a proper tripod, not that cardboard thing it came with.

@KelvinS1965 I do tend to listen at lower levels, so that might be what is going on here. Also, the surrounds are further away from the main listening position due to the room layout, that might be a factor as well.

I re ran the calibration this morning, using my camera tripod, it all seemed to work ok. I’ll keep an ear on how it sounds over the next few weeks...

Hi guys, just reading this thread with interest. I have the Denon X3400 and Kef 2005.2 sub sat speaker package but just can’t seem to get the sound right, I use Audssey to set levels etc but not sure wether it’s ok to adjust level trims after calibration, if so do I adjust to 75db or 80db. Also do I trust the volume on the amp (ref pink noise) or use calibration disc for this...?

Hi guys, just reading this thread with interest. I have the Denon X3400 and Kef 2005.2 sub sat speaker package but just can’t seem to get the sound right, I use Audssey to set levels etc but not sure wether it’s ok to adjust level trims after calibration, if so do I adjust to 75db or 80db. Also do I trust the volume on the amp (ref pink noise) or use calibration disc for this...?
Audyssey is pretty accurate and calibrates to 75dB. You have to make sure your speakers are all set to small with a crossover no lower than that calibrated by Audyssey. A lot also depends on your speaker location and the room itself. The sub is the weak link with Denon and you may benefit from getting a different make.

A photograph of your room would help a lot.

Audyssey is pretty accurate and calibrates to 75dB. You have to make sure your speakers are all set to small with a crossover no lower than that calibrated by Audyssey. A lot also depends on your speaker location and the room itself. The sub is the weak link with Denon and you may benefit from getting a different make.

A photograph of your room would help a lot

I’ll take some pics and send on. My rooms fairly small around 15x12, what sub would you suggest - given the satellite speakers being used?

I'd recommend BK subs but it seems Covid is playing merry hell with their production. The Gemini 2 if you don't want to break the bank. My other recommendation for a small room would be the REL T5i, a sub that I've been using for over eight years now.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom