August 2018 Winner - Self Portrait/Selfies

spannersatcx

Prominent Member
Reaction score
So, gave it a go not really a selfie type but heyho.

A long time ago after leaving school and waiting to serve Her majesty, I did a YTS scheme at Didcot Steam Centre, so at the weekend, whilst visiting friends who still live there I took the opportunity to revisit a part of my youth! I was hoping to sit in the cab of a train and do some sort of selfie, but they no longer allow that (which was probably lucky for you guys!).

Anyway saw this opportunity to stand by the level crossing when the train came past, I was hoping for so good motion blur but it hurtled past at about 1MPH! So used a tripod and a wifi remote release from my phone, which I'd never really tried before, first attempt I tried using the internal time lapse function, but that didn't really work too well.

As the weather/light wasn't great converted to Black and White, plus I think it adds to the shot. Did some messing about in LR a few tweaks here and there, tried to add some more motion blur in PS but gave up!

I'm sure there's some hidden meaning standing at the crossroads looking back at the past, whatever it is, this is to my Dad who left yesterday.

I'm not sure I understand your last sentence correctly about your dad?

I like the idea/story/meaning behind the image, and it conveys it pretty well, agree the b+w works well with the contrast of the white barrier. Bit of a cheat's selfie tho! :devil:

I'm not sure I understand your last sentence correctly about your dad?

I like the idea/story/meaning behind the image, and it conveys it pretty well, agree the b+w works well with the contrast of the white barrier. Bit of a cheat's selfie tho! :devil:
Thanks, not sure how it's a cheat selfie though? I was on my own and set up and took it myself!
Sorry was a bit emotional as my Dad passed away at the weekend and he started his working life on the steam trains, I'll probably edit it out .

Thanks, not sure how it's a cheat selfie though? I was on my own and set up and took it myself!
Sorry was a bit emotional as my Dad passed away at the weekend and he started his working life on the steam trains, I'll probably edit it out .

My sympathies and condolences for your loss. I did think that's what you meant but thought best to check first. No need to edit, or apologise at all.

Just kidding about the "cheat" - only cos you are quite small and facing away - rather than a criticism.

My sincere condolences Mark, I think the image makes a great tribute to your father.

My sympathies and condolences for your loss. I did think that's what you meant but thought best to check first. No need to edit, or apologise at all.

Just kidding about the "cheat" - only cos you are quite small and facing away - rather than a criticism.
Tried it facing the camera, but didn't like it with the phone in my hand!

Nice way to pay respects to your dad, my condolences. Fits the selfie theme perfectly for me.

Really sorry to hear about your Dad Mark, sincere condolences.

As for the image I love it. OK there's loads of technical things I could pick up on, but it's an image that makes me think, poses questions such as why is he standing there, what's he thinking etc. With the positioning and pose he (yes I know it's you ;)) doesn't look like he's a train spotter so makes me question it.

I like it - I can imagine with a faster train it would have been more dynamic but there's movement there so it's working as well as it could with a slow train.
As an "Environmental Selfie" I think it works. It would have been a better portrait if you were facing the camera but then there would be no "story" of you waiting at the crossing for the train so I don't think that would have worked either on that side of the crossing.
If you've shot yourself from the other side that might have been effective but it would be a brave person to set up the tripod on one side of an active railway from themselves.

Finally my condolences on your loss.

So sorry about your loss :( I miss my dad every day, he's been gone 6 years now. Good memories will come on top at some point, give it time.
I like your picture, and you're right, black and white looks good.

If you've shot yourself from the other side that might have been effective but it would be a brave person to set up the tripod on one side of an active railway from themselves
Thanks, you couldn't actually get the other side, that's where the 'modern' line is!

Very sorry to hear of your loss. Lovely and fitting image.

Sorry for your loss Mark - my thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family and it's a lovely shot taken in context and extra Kudos to you for entering at all

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom