AV Credenza build with cooling

BigA1

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just wanted to post some pics of my almost finished AV cabinet.

I used 3 IKEA BESTA TV units to form a credenza to house the AV equipment and for the 75" Q90R to sit on.

The units fit almost made to measure in my alcove and eventually will be adorned with a 15mm x 4m x .70M oak worktop so that the entire depth of the alcove is sealed hiding all the wires and dust that usually settles behind AV equipment/cabinets.

I've installed a 6 Gang Horizontal 13amp Switched Power Distribution Unit inside the left cabinet and Black Brush Cable Management bar for the power and other cables.

In the right cabinet I have 2 more Black Brush Cable Management bars for 2 levels of equipment.

I have installed an ARCTIC P12 PWM PST 120 mm Case Fan in each side to vent out any hot air.

The fans are connected to a DC 12V 24V 48V 2 Way Cooling PWM 4 Wire Fan Temperature Controller with thermostats which is powered using a DC 5v To DC 9v or 12v Adjustable Step-up Voltage Regulator Converter with Switch DC Connector that is plugged into the One Connect Box USB port.

And it all seems to be working swimmingly...

20200702_224238_resized.jpg

20200702_224749.jpg

20200702_224749_resized.jpg

20200702_224749_resized(1).jpg

Happy to answer any questions or recieve any comments etc.

Al.

Ha, no questions then...

Lol just incase anyone is reading orders the 20mm worktop to finish the unit today. £280 cut to size and delivered.

I will need to fabricate some kind of opening for the OCB cable to go through and I'm thinking of installing some safety straps as it's a bloody big unit and might kill a litlun in they pull it off... they'd wana hope they were dead if they do pull it off though...!!!

I need a brushed cable management option but not like the 19 inch bars inside just something small and discrete. I'd also like to install a similar brushed option in the corners, say for maybe some lamps or something but I can't find anything in a quadrant, just the desk gaskets you find on office desks.

Any help finding the right bits of furniture to finish it off would be great.

have you any links to the cooling devices ?

You may not have had any comments but it does look great.

I'd be interested in links to the 6 way gang you used and the brush panel?

You may not have had any comments but it does look great.

I'd be interested in links to the 6 way gang you used and the brush panel?
If you are planning something similar i would 100% suggest cutting the holes in the cupboard backing before fitting. It was an absolute massive pain in the arse and I could have done a much better job if I pre cut the holes.

This one lol

Hey man, this looks great! I stumbled on here because I'm replacing my old cabinet which I added an exhaust to and generally open the doors a bit when my consoles are on. The plan is the new cabinet stays shut for a majority of the time...I've been looking at this which fits nicely into the current location - it's almost the perfect fit with just a couple inches to spare.

I've decided to get get a couple of intake fans with temp controls at each end so the doors can stay shut - one end will have the PC and the other end my PS5 and XSX. These will be new holes (probably from the side so I can clean the filters, and the 3 the cabinet have will be used for exhausts. I'll use a cabinet 'brush plates' for cables and minimising dust getting inside.

Just wanted to say how good this looks and how it helped me decide what I'm doing.

This one lol

Hey man, this looks great! I stumbled on here because I'm replacing my old cabinet which I added an exhaust to and generally open the doors a bit when my consoles are on. The plan is the new cabinet stays shut for a majority of the time...I've been looking at this which fits nicely into the current location - it's almost the perfect fit with just a couple inches to spare.

I've decided to get get a couple of intake fans with temp controls at each end so the doors can stay shut - one end will have the PC and the other end my PS5 and XSX. These will be new holes (probably from the side so I can clean the filters, and the 3 the cabinet have will be used for exhausts. I'll use a cabinet 'brush plates' for cables and minimising dust getting inside.

Just wanted to say how good this looks and how it helped me decide what I'm doing.
Thanks bro, I'm still made up with it... not sure if by design or not but my fans continue to vent for about 5 mins after everything else shuts down. I think thats the time the OCB takes to go to sleep so it works well to keep everything cool and groovy, even after heavy gaming sessions.

My doors are shut and the speed controll does its job upping the fan speeds if things start to get warmer in there.

If you can work on the pieces before you build the cabinet... you'll get better cuts and finishes that way...

Getting the worktop fitted this coming weekend and then i can forget about it all and move onto the next project.

Post up a build thread mate it might inspire someone to do their own.

Thanks bro, I'm still made up with it... not sure if by design or not but my fans continue to vent for about 5 mins after everything else shuts down. I think thats the time the OCB takes to go to sleep so it works well to keep everything cool and groovy, even after heavy gaming sessions.

My doors are shut and the speed controll does its job upping the fan speeds if things start to get warmer in there.

If you can work on the pieces before you build the cabinet... you'll get better cuts and finishes that way...

Getting the worktop fitted this coming weekend and then i can forget about it all and move onto the next project.

Post up a build thread mate it might inspire someone to do their own.
Well I did a bit of digging and they had an ex demo in my local store for £200! So I went to have a look and it was good condition (one ding inside the cab) and the price had dropped to just £130! A Steal! :D

It's built already (pros and cons) but it's mostly done anyway, I just need to drill 2 holes for the intakes...will take some pics.

Well I did a bit of digging and they had an ex demo in my local store for £200! So I went to have a look and it was good condition (one ding inside the cab) and the price had dropped to just £130! A Steal! :D

It's built already (pros and cons) but it's mostly done anyway, I just need to drill 2 holes for the intakes...will take some pics.

Thats a touch, doesn't matter if you screw it up at that money...! 😉

These enabled me to get the holes exactly the right size...

If you're looking to cut out for the brush bar... get a good quality very sharp Stanley blade, a metal ruler and if you can clamp it to get straight lines do it.

Be patient and make more light passes if you can. I used a saw and my finishes although hidden are not the best... a fine tooth blade may be best I used one of these and in truth the teeth were too large for a clean finish..

Amazon product ASIN B0054ISG2C

Here it is completely finished.....

20mm solid oak kitchen worktop with an white oil/stain applied to better match the floor and cabinet colours.
20201016_184015.jpg

20201016_184025.jpg

20201016_184034.jpg

I brought it cut to size but it still needed fettling into place by a man with all the right tools to make it follow the bendy walls in my house.

2 small oak desk rounds for lamps or cables of some description and a 6x1/2" cutting out for the OCB cable.

Happy.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom