AVF Netflix Recommended

Please tell me I’m not the only one who didn’t read previous comments and just searched Netflix for Certain Things :facepalm:

Last edited:
Stumbled upon Ragnarok last night. Finished it 30 mins ago.

Really, really good. S2 is a go too:clap:

thought i'd check outs some documentarys for a change

after finishing the last narcos i finally got round to watching cartel land which i thought was very good.....did'nt realise the main focus was on the 'vigilante' groups popping up.

also just started watching the tiger thingy..thats on the top lists..the guy 'joe exotic' and the likes

...would'nt normally be my sort of thing...but been very good so far....and a real eye opener on the amount of big cats privately owned in the usa.....more than any other place in the world.

...and the types of people who own them :eek:

definitely worth a watch

We're watching the film 'the platform'. Despite a 60 Meg connection the macroblocking and artifacts are dreadful. Its easily the lowest quality I've yet seen on Netflix. This must be the result of the reduction in bitrates.

The platform is very uncomfortable viewing. I've managed half an hour so far. I'll maybe finish it this evening.

The platform is very uncomfortable viewing. I've managed half an hour so far. I'll maybe finish it this evening.

I watched this last night after seeing some people mention it being decent on another forum, it was different that's for sure, like you say it does make for some uncomfortable viewing, the ending was disappointing as well.

Oh yeah and as you stated the picture is horrendous in places, worse that VHS is some instances. Likely not the best picture to start with, and just made worse by the bandwidth limiting.

I took this photo whilst watching as I was so shocked at the awful PQ of The Platform:
IMG_20200330_233036.jpg

I'd installed a new netgear switch under the TV and had to do a speed test to make sure something wasn't wrong!

‘A quiet place‘ is pretty good but I wished it’d been another 5 or 10 mins longer.
7.5/10

Now I think I might watch a bit of Lord of The Rings. Seen them appear on Netflix Recently.

Do a search and Fellowship not there. Only Two Towers and ROTK. Fellowship was the one I wanted to watch.:rolleyes:

Not the first time i've seen an imcomplete trilogy (or movie/sequel) appear on Netflix. Why do they do that for fudge sake.

Now I think I might watch a bit of Lord of The Rings. Seen them appear on Netflix Recently.

Do a search and Fellowship not there. Only Two Towers and ROTK. Fellowship was the one I wanted to watch.:rolleyes:

Not the first time i've seen an imcomplete trilogy (or movie/sequel) appear on Netflix. Why do they do that for fudge sake.
I wanted to watch John Wick but only 2 and 3 were there.

The Keepers is a few years old now but still probably the best thing I've watched on Netflix. 7 episodes, 436 minutes.

I might give it another viewing.

Yep it’s very odd, I noticed this when I saw two towers show up, so did a search for fellowship and nothing. Perhaps there is some stupid clause that some movie studios stop Netflix showing a complete trilogy.

The Keepers is a few years old now but still probably the best thing I've watched on Netflix. 7 episodes, 436 minutes.

I might give it another viewing.
Not heard of that one? What's it about?

Not heard of that one? What's it about?

"A seven-part docuseries about the unsolved murder of a nun and the horrific secrets and pain that linger nearly five decades after her death."

It's short on laughs but it'll stick in your memory for a while. Some might find it a bit dragged out though.

I've just finished The Innocence Files.

"The hour-long episodes detail the personal stories behind eight cases of wrongful conviction that the Innocence Project and organizations within the Innocence Network have worked to highlight and overturn."

Some episodes were a bit 'samey' but it was really well made. Some of the characters involved are almost as unlikeable as some of those in Tiger King!

Last edited:
Another series ticked off my list - The Pharmacist.

'After his son's tragic death, a Louisiana pharmacist goes to extremes to expose the rampant corruption behind the opioid addiction crisis.'

Solid enough viewing 7.5/10.

Any other recommendations for documentaries on Netflix? I've pretty much seen them all at this stage.

"A seven-part docuseries about the unsolved murder of a nun and the horrific secrets and pain that linger nearly five decades after her death."

It's short on laughs but it'll stick in your memory for a while. Some might find it a bit dragged out though.

I've just finished The Innocence Files.

"The hour-long episodes detail the personal stories behind eight cases of wrongful conviction that the Innocence Project and organizations within the Innocence Network have worked to highlight and overturn."

Some episodes were a bit 'samey' but it was really well made. Some of the characters involved are almost as unlikeable as some of those in Tiger King!
I watched the first 2 episodes and must say very good

Another series ticked off my list - The Pharmacist.

'After his son's tragic death, a Louisiana pharmacist goes to extremes to expose the rampant corruption behind the opioid addiction crisis.'

Solid enough viewing 7.5/10.

Any other recommendations for documentaries on Netflix? I've pretty much seen them all at this stage.
If you like fishing then try' chasing monsters ' or battle fish.
There's also one about an old guy who spear fishes and free dives, it's called jaaku - secrets of the deep or something. Sorry I can't remember.

You must've seen the staircase too?

regarding PQ it seems the newer "Netflix Original" stuff is being streamed at a lower mbps than the older content so it looks even worse!

for example,
Ozark series 1 is running at 1.31Mbps @ 1080
Ozark series 3 is running at 0.94Mbps @ 1080

So even without this temporary reduction we are getting Netflix has reduced the Mbps it streams its own shows at anyway.

I do wonder if they will actually put things back to what they were when things go back to normal or if they will try and shave some off the top to save more bandwidth and hope none notices.

I definitely am concerned by this exact situation. It's very much visible on larger screens especially. I shall adjust my subs accordingly and write emails or even cancel as a last resort if they don't rectify it once this is done.

I only bought a new TV last week and hadn't used Netflix for over a year.

I decided to get the top package so I could try some DV titles. Not impressed. Most are too dark/over contrasty and I've also had some pausing of the streams before it fast forwards to catch up with itself. That shouldn't happen especially as they've lowered the bitrate.

Doubt I'll be subscribing again in the current climate.

I only bought a new TV last week and hadn't used Netflix for over a year.

I decided to get the top package so I could try some DV titles. Not impressed. Most are too dark/over contrasty and I've also had some pausing of the streams before it fast forwards to catch up with itself. That shouldn't happen especially as they've lowered the bitrate.

Doubt I'll be subscribing again in the current climate.

You must have poor internet speeds to be suffering from buffering ?

Yes the bitrates have been reduced due to COVID19 but IMHO are still loads better than Sky

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom