AVForums Editor's Choice Awards – Best Hi-Fi 2018

Really glad to see Dynaudio take the prize. Years of their products have never let me down.

Impressed to see the Mission QX-2 rated so highly. I think Mission are speakers that get overlooked too often.

Steve/bluewizard

Got to mention an alternative to the Naim one-box: the Quad Artera Solus.

It's been very well reviewed and warmly received across the board, it's built like a tank and sounds utterly fantastic and, best of all, it's only £1500 as opposed to the Naim's eye-watering price of £3500.

The only thing against it is that it currently doesn't offer streaming, though I understand an update is due that will fill in this gap but cost an additional £500.

I've partnered mine with a pair of PMC Twenty5 21's and it's a brilliant combination, really capturing the emotion and feel of music. It's refined but rhythmic, great at digging out detail and has bags of energy. It makes poor recordings sound good and good recordings sensational. It has scale, weight and authority. It really is proper Hi-Fi in one box and shockingly good as a consequence.

I haven't heard the Naim but can confidently vouch for the Quad. It is ridiculously accomplished for the money and is a bit of a bargain, even at that price.

Last edited:
Being an old "fart" my kids terminology not mine I have a soft spot for Quad equipment. Had various bits over the years, all that remains now are a pair of 11L speakers, which suit me fine.Coupled with my Rega RP3 I am in vinyl heaven, well in my opinion.

quad.jpg

State of the art at one time!

Being an old "fart" my kids terminology not mine I have a soft spot for Quad equipment. Had various bits over the years, all that remains now are a pair of 11L speakers, which suit me fine.Coupled with my Rega RP3 I am in vinyl heaven, well in my opinion.

View attachment 1096806

Don't tell the hipsters!

One of the best lists so far. Special Forty, Qutest and Mission. Very nice. My best of the year. Ps audio stellar, Totem signature one and Arcam Sa10. And the little NAD316bee.

blimey the Chord Qutest beat the Dave.... wow

View attachment 1096806

Hello,

You should check out the french dyptique, greatt stuff and affordable

Really glad to see Dynaudio take the prize. Years of their products have never let me down.
Hi Gorman, I'm currently setting up my first system and am considering NAD masters series, have you ever used NAD with Dynaudio? In you opinion would they be a good sonic match? I only ask as my local dealer does not stock Dynaudio so I can't demo them together with the NADS.

Hi Gorman, I'm currently setting up my first system and am considering NAD masters series, have you ever used NAD with Dynaudio? In you opinion would they be a good sonic match? I only ask as my local dealer does not stock Dynaudio so I can't demo them together with the NADS.
Unfortunately I've never had the pleasure. I've paired them with Denon, Onkyo and currently Yamaha. I'm currently considering Arcam, in order to update to 4K/Atmos and to test Dirac that I've wanted to try for the longest time. Sorry for not being helpful. :)

Everyone absolutely gushes about the special forty's, I am interested in the Dynaudio Contour 20's but now I'm thinking I had better listen to them, could possibly save myself £1250 into the bargain!

Those Dynaudios are one of the few speakers that could tempt me away from my Genelecs. Albeit for much more money, and harder to fit in my room...

Perhaps just get bigger Gennie’s!!! x

Attachments

• 64C1DD2A-7859-4BCE-82D3-2C4A507FCF6D.jpeg
    64C1DD2A-7859-4BCE-82D3-2C4A507FCF6D.jpeg
    866.8 KB · Views: 202
Sub £1000 HiFi speakers (active) for me are KEF LSX at £999. I bought them and love them. Waiting to see what AVF's review makes of them. Most others giving them max or near max scores.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom