AVForums IFA 2016 Show Roundup Report

Thanks for the write up!

All a bit dull really looking around the various media outlets, but i guess all the latest TVs will be at CES.

Was hoping Sony would announce Android 6.0 for their TVs but i guess they are still struggling with 5.1 bugs.

Was there any clarification on whether existing HDMI2.0a ports can be upgraded to 2.1?

Was there any clarification on whether existing HDMI2.0a ports can be upgraded to 2.1?
I got the impression from Samsung that it wasn't possible. They said their proprietary cable that connects the one connect box to the TV could handle things like dynamic metadata but they weren't sure they would be able to upgrade the HDMI 2.0a inputs on the box itself. They said it may require a new one connect box but that is the advantage of Samsung's approach, so at least they have a potential upgrade path.

Thanks Steve. According to a news report, Sony is launching 2 UHD players this month.

So I've heard but there was only one stand-alone player at IFA, the other might be the upgraded PS4.

I've always thought it was a sensible approach, all you need to do is swap out the box and your TV has the latest connections. Even if there is a cost attached it's still cheaper than buying a new TV.

Thanks Steve.

I always thought that the One Connect Box is an ideal solution. However, Samsung TVs' Owners in the forum are pretty angry at Samsung because they drop support of the box pretty quickly.

It seems that even the box is not a very reliable upgrade path.

Well in the past Samsung over-complicated matters by including the processing in the box as well and trying to use it as away of upgrading the connections and the smart platform. Now that the box is just for connections it should be easier.

Steve....if you have a chance can you ask LG about Florian at SpectraCal white paper on their OLED'S Not being True 4k 3840 across the whole of the screen. As reiterated by Stacey Spears on Home Theatre Geeks video post compliments Spike_UK.

Well in the past Samsung over-complicated matters by including the processing in the box as well and trying to use it as away of upgrading the connections and the smart platform. Now that the box is just for connections it should be easier.
Thanks Steve - You have saved a lot of members from wasting their money at the moment. Are you working for our " significant other halfs " by putting us off upgrading at the moment? Can I ask that you discuss the current situation on the podcast to save you a lot of typing. If one used a traffic light system for upgrading at the moment, it would be well and truly stuck on red :(.

I've always thought it was a sensible approach, all you need to do is swap out the box and your TV has the latest connections. Even if there is a cost attached it's still cheaper than buying a new TV.

That's funny, I also though the sensible approach would be to actually finalise the format first before bringing it to market and maybe even think about those with legacy equipment too. If only someone could do that ... they could call it something like Dolby Vision, maybe.

Shambolic from a Consumers stand point. 4k or not 4k, different flavours of HDR, UHD Bluray Discs with differing nit levels (Paramount & Fox), HLG, HFR TV's in the offing, formats and versions constantly updating, possibility of redundant tech that has just been purchased in such a short period of time (If HDMI 2.1 is required for HDR Dynamic Metadata). But if none of this is a concern to you and you are happy with what you've got or are about to purchase then 'Fill your Boots'....

Shame for those who have already spent thousands...:(

That's funny, I also though the sensible approach would be to actually finalise the format first before bringing it to market and maybe even think about those with legacy equipment too. If only someone could do that ... they could call it something like Dolby Vision, maybe.

Finalised is only finalised at that specific point in time though. There will always be new formats in the works that will require different hardware. Blame the intelligent human race for being innovative and driving forward technology at a rate not seen in previous decades

Finalised is only finalised at that specific point in time though. There will always be new formats in the works that will require different hardware. Blame the intelligent human race for being innovative and driving forward technology at a rate not seen in previous decades

Except we're specifically talking about the mess that is HDR. Dolby Vision didn't hit the consumer market until it was the finished article (after 10 years of design and development) and it was designed so it could be delivered over HDMI 1.4. Now that's an example of human intelligence driving technology forward and first-rate engineering. You can believe the 'manufacturers' don't want to relinquish control of their TV's' (to Dolby Vision), but it's a financial decision (ok, fair enough, they are a business after all) and it would also deny them the opportunity to 'tweak' their TV's to look better than the competition, to the average personal who doesn't know any better that is.

Now that may be the way of the consumer world, but it doesn't mean we can't draw attention to yet another example of the consumer getting a raw deal.

There's nothing to stop manufactures having base tier models with HDR only and premium models with both HDR and Dolby Vision to cover the cost of licensing fees.

I am sorry but the development and potential release of these technologies should ideally come together in a relative short space of time resulting in preferably just one major upgrade. My personal ( and cynical ) view is that manufacturers are spinning it all out so that consumers are forced to replace their screens far quicker than planned and thus increase their profits in this competitive market.

Last edited:
So I've heard but there was only one stand-alone player at IFA, the other might be the upgraded PS4.
So the second UHD player isn't the PS4 after all! What was Sony thinking??

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom