AVForums Podcast 06/04/20: Samsung stops LCD production, LG OLED prices, Lyngdorf MP60 Review & More

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
00:00:00 - Start
00:00:45 - Thank you, front-line workers - what have we done this week?
00:17:58 - Current Competitions
00:18:43 - LG OLED prices and launch dates
00:30:58 - Samsung halts LCD production
00:41:35 - Steve reviews the Lyngdorf MP60 AV Processor
00:50:31 - Ed reviews the Pro-Ject T1 Turntable
00:56:26 - Film News
01:02:06 - 4K and Blu-ray releases this week
01:05:33 - TV and Streaming releases this week
01:07:16 - Our favourite feel-good musicals and music-based movies
01:25:58 - Goodbyes
01:27:39 - Ends

Presented by Phil Hinton with Steve Withers and Ed Selley

Note: If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Time: 01:27:35 | File Size: 168mb | Direct Link

Could you clarify - if Samsung are not going to make LCD TV's, surely the new Q950TS 8K is an LCD TV, or am I missing something, here. My vote for a musical is "Chess" (not a dud song in the whole film ) and Roger Water's concert BD of "The Wall". Just sensational.

Thanks guys.

Ive currently got it playing in the background while working from home which isn’t as straight forward as I thought it would b.
So it’s helping to distract me in a good way and keep my sanity.!

Could you clarify - if Samsung are not going to make LCD TV's, surely the new Q950TS 8K is an LCD TV, or am I missing something, here. My vote for a musical is "Chess" (not a dud song in the whole film ) and Roger Water's concert BD of "The Wall". Just sensational.
It's Samsung Display who are stopping the manufacture of LCD panels. Samsung Electronics, who make the consumer TVs will be buying their panels from third-party suppliers.

Stop putting delicious food pictures on the front!!! :) Good podcast as usual..

Stop putting delicious food pictures on the front!!! :) Good podcast as usual..
I know, I'm starting to regret using the double-double image as it gets me hungry every time I look at the home page.

On the note of QD-OLED the prototype at ces will don't what version was shown. The two main issues we're the black level barrier and over heating. By the pictures samsung looks like it's fixed the blacks. Overheating is a problem with prototypes. Samsung Display is hoping to start production in the first part of next year so we could see a QD-OLED in the second half.

@Phil Hinton In last weeks episode you mentioned about seeing all The Marvel movies in order of release on Disney+, where abouts is this option? Was it in search / through the decades? as that just shows everything in order of release. I'm trying to find just the Marvel movies..

@Phil Hinton In last weeks episode you mentioned about seeing all The Marvel movies in order of release on Disney+, where abouts is this option? Was it in search / through the decades? as that just shows everything in order of release. I'm trying to find just the Marvel movies..
Go to the Marvel menu and the first row will have Endgame as the first movie, scroll right to the end and they are all in order if you work through them right to left. Obviously there are a few missing (Hulk and Spider-man) but the rest are in order working backwards in that list. Hope that helps.

Go to the Marvel menu and the first row will have Endgame as the first movie, scroll right to the end and they are all in order if you work through them right to left. Obviously there are a few missing (Hulk and Spider-man) but the rest are in order working backwards in that list. Hope that helps.
Ah yes, thanks. I see there's 2 or 3 I've never seen. Be nice to go through them in order :)

I really like their through the decades sections in the search area.. I've added all the Disney classics in order to the watchlist :D Plus a few sequels/remakes I haven't seen..

ezik4cS.jpg

uN8N2bu.jpg

imho Disney plus looks rubbish on sky and ps4

I doubt various versions of QLED will be off the product list for Samsung for at least another three to four years, or not until their new generation QNED TV's become more available at a reasonable price. Until then Samsung will have its long awaited QD-OLED as a probable 8K flagship TV, that not everyone will be able to afford, released perhaps at the end of this year but more likely sometime in 2021.
Samsung still love playing games with their prospective buyers as their current product line up for 2020 reveals, I suspect that Samsung has followed suit with numerous other brand name manufacturers and sourced cheaper Chinese panel suppliers to help fill retail shelves in these competitive and challenging times.
That is why production of the popular 2019 series of QLED's was not carried on into 2020, they were the best in their class but too expensive to make.

Go to the Marvel menu and the first row will have Endgame as the first movie, scroll right to the end and they are all in order if you work through them right to left.
I know that some people consider the Marvel Movies a Religion, but using Hebrew as the listing order base seems a bit excessive. :D

I found the PS4 app doesn't support 4K or HDR, so that's not going to help.
Same as sky Ed, and it has horrible jerking motion on panning shots...the apps on my TV are useless, and Disney + isn't even supported on the panny's ( although I have heard rumours of it coming to some models down the line, won't come to the 902 though, so really in my situation it will likely have to invest in topnotch the line roku or firestick...although the roku appeals to me more but going to have to shell out £50 quid ( hoping I can get it cheaper in easter sales ) I know the firestick is currently £30 on amazon...and YouTube also, so as we have discussed, the implementation on both sticks is far superior than the stock apps the pannys have which can't even be upgraded or added too

You guys are doing great. There's lots of interesting reviews at the moment and also coming up soon, between the Q950TS, the MP60, and the mentioned (alluded to?) Dragonfly Cobalt, thanks for keeping up the good work.

Just to add to good movies with a great music based track, Grosse Point Blanc is one of my favs.

I'd like to suggest Spinal Tap as a superb music based film. I also have a soft spot for Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

I'm just catching up and was delighted to hear they had Battle Beyond The Stars was on Disney+ however I can't find it anywhere :( and I've had a major crush on Sybil Danning since I first watched it

Has anyone else found it and if so can point me in the right direction

Thanks

I'm just catching up and was delighted to hear they had Battle Beyond The Stars was on Disney+ however I can't find it anywhere :( and I've had a major crush on Sybil Danning since I first watched it

Thanks
It's on Amazon

Thanks
As I pointed out at length on the previous podcast, it's not on Disney+, it's on Amazon. I'm with you on Sybil Danning. That's one Valkyrie that I'd love to see go down!

With Samsung stopping all LCD production internally you could guess in reality we will see business as usual with regards to QLED for the next few years until the new tech takes over.

I would also hazard a guess that joint venture mini companies have been set up with the panel producer(s) they select. Protecting Samsung within China (intellectual property etc), ensures the spec will be to their requirements while reducing possible economic impacts.

As partially eluded to in the podcast a cynic may well say they have timed this perfectly with the current climate - jobs losses are everywhere and bad PR is minimised in SK.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom