AVForums Podcast 16/03/2020: MK LCR750 Speakers & Marantz Melody X Reviews. AV News and more

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
00:00:00 - Sponsor Message
00:00:43 - What is going on?
00:18:34 - Current Competitions
00:20:09 - Steve reviews the MK LCR750 speaker package
00:31:01 - Ed reviews the Marantz Melody X all-in-one Hi-Fi system
00:39:37 - Movie news
00:52:24 - Cinema, 4K, Blu-ray releases this week
01:05:03 - Feel good movies to self isolate to
01:21:22 - Goodbyes
01:25:10 - Ends

Presented by Phil Hinton with Ed Selley, Mark Botwright and Steve Withers

Note: If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Time: 01:25:10 | File Size: 143mb | Direct Link

I look forward to listening to this tonight, could do with cheering up amongst the doom 😁

With us entering the isolation stage now did you guys mention in the previous apocalypse podcast '10 Cloverfield Lane'.

Fear and loathing in Las Vegas. Probably the best depiction in films of drugs regarding the state of mind and perceived world around you. Don't know about it being a feel good movie though as one of you guys suggested.

I re-watched World War Z last night. It was terrifying in the current context, and a lot better than I remembered.

I re-watched World War Z last night. It was terrifying in the current context, and a lot better than I remembered.

I remember seeing this at the cinema and being underwhelmed, but I really enjoyed it on a second viewing at home.

We should probably do a playlist to reflect the current situation, I'll add 28 days later to the list.

I look forward to listening to this tonight, could do with cheering up amongst the doom 😁
Well that depends the podcast being entertaining and well.......:laugh::rotfl::p:D

Here's some:

The Hot Zone (miniseries)

Twelve Monkeys (film and series)

Outbreak

Contagion

Doomsday (2008 film)

Utopia (Channel 4 series)

The Andromeda Strain

The Stand (miniseries)

On Her Majesty's Secret Service

The Omega Man

The Crazies (1973 film)

Resident Evil (the film series)

Cabin Fever

Carriers (2009)

My GF got me (probably the last available) copy of "Contagion" for my birthday ! A great feel-good film, although maybe not a "film" as such : "The Last waltz" by The Band. Love it.. Skip straight to Dr. John's "Such a night", and you can't go wrong.

I'll add I am Legend to the virus films list
jkp5n6r93bm41.jpg

The news is scaring the other half enough at the moment so we will definitely not watch any of the aforementioned movies.

Talking of the Princess Bride - my brother and I were extras playing members of the Brute Squad. The village and castle scenes plus lots of interiors were filmed in and around Haddon Hall near Buxton. I have some very fond memories of Andre the Giant suffering from a crippling bad back but still being a really nice gentle man with absolutely no acting skill whatsoever. Mandy Patinkin seemed to be modelling himself on Brando with a huge ego and a "method" approach that seemed ridiculous at the time. When we saw the film I was amazed how great it was and still love it to this day. Best life lesson from some of the seasoned old hand members of the Brute squad was to pick "a small knife" from the props dept as for 4 weeks you had to carry and run with whatever you chose.

I naively choose the biggest broadsword I could find and still regret my decision to this day!
And by the way "you killed my Father, prepare to die!"

I had to check on wiki what the film was about, all I could remember was Pitt. I might check it out again, perhaps the current situation makes it better or rather more scary.

Anywho I have fixed the synopsis -

World War Z
Gerry, a former United Nations employee, unexpectedly finds himself in a race against time as he investigates a threatening virus that turns humans into panic ridden bog roll bandits

Talking of the Princess Bride - my brother and I were extras playing members of the Brute Squad. The village and castle scenes plus lots of interiors were filmed in and around Haddon Hall near Buxton. I have some very fond memories of Andre the Giant suffering from a crippling bad back but still being a really nice gentle man with absolutely no acting skill whatsoever. Mandy Patinkin seemed to be modelling himself on Brando with a huge ego and a "method" approach that seemed ridiculous at the time. When we saw the film I was amazed how great it was and still love it to this day. Best life lesson from some of the seasoned old hand members of the Brute squad was to pick "a small knife" from the props dept as for 4 weeks you had to carry and run with whatever you chose.

I naively choose the biggest broadsword I could find and still regret my decision to this day!
And by the way "you killed my Father, prepare to die!"
Best. Podcast. Post. Ever.

"I want my father back you son of a bitch!"

remember what Bill Burr says in the event of an Apocalyptic event, if you are stock piling and can not defend yourself you are just storing supplies for the guy with the gun!

My go happy film used to be back to the future.....but now i'd Say Some Like it Hot and A Fish called Wanda and Young Frankenstein...............all superb movies

My favourite part of the podcast was when Phil gave up bleeping Ed’s F-bombs :D:laugh:

FYI my comfort movie is Beetlejuice or Maverick (yes the Mel Gibson one)
I’ve watched both countless times and I still love them...oh and also ‘Coming to America’

“The Royal Penis is clean your highness”

Great podcast. I am enjoying War of the Worlds.
Currently also listening to the HG Wells audio book on BBC Sounds App.
Here is a link.

Also really enjoying the Twilight episodes on Sky/NowTV- SyFy Channel. Big stars.

my favourite feel good, funny 80’s movies:
Plains, Trains, Automobiles.
The Karate Kid.

Good to know the Podcast hosts are still comfortably able to take a shit with bog role at hand.

My favourite part of the podcast was when Phil gave up bleeping Ed’s F-bombs :D:laugh:

FYI my comfort movie is Beetlejuice or Maverick (yes the Mel Gibson one)
I’ve watched both countless times and I still love them...oh and also ‘Coming to America’

“The Royal Penis is clean your highness”
When that F-bomb slipped through the net lol.

Not too much of a fan of Beetlejuice, but yeah Maverick is a guilty pleasure.

Why is Superman Number 4?
I know Christopher Reeves is great in it but still.
Because it is on deal price £3.99 and in DOLBYVISION & DOLBY ATMOS.

Plus the World needs a real Old fashioned Super Hero in this current Global Crisis.

02B055B6-4AC4-435D-8C39-8F229BA846DB.jpeg

Because it is on deal price £3.99 and in DOLBYVISION & DOLBY ATMOS.

Plus the World needs a real Old fashioned Super Hero in this current Global Crisis.

View attachment 1270741
That’s a pretty good reason... just bought it myself, same Suoerman 2 is still full price (and not DV / Atmos) cos they make a great double feature.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom