AVForums Podcast 18th April 2016

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
This week we discuss:

00:01:00 - RIP Gareth Thomas - Does anyone remember Blakes 7?
00:06:47 - Current Competitions
00:07:45 - What did Hodge think of the Samsung UBD-K8500 Ultra HD Blu-ray player?
00:12:31 - Steve reviews the Panasonic DMP-UB900 Ultra HD Blu-ray player
00:20:14 - Netflix have started to stream HDR content with Season 1 of Marco Polo
00:22:43 - Do we think the rumours of a PS4K are true?
00:32:00 - Why is music streaming boosting the sale of vinyl?
00:43:34 - What’s at the cinema this Friday? - Bastille Day and Jane got a Gun
00:44:53 - Blu-rays released this Monday - Star Wars: The Force Awakens
00:45:20 - The team talk Star Wars, supermarkets and trousers
00:57:03 - Goodbyes

Presented by Phil Hinton with Steve Withers, Mark Hodgkinson, Ed Selley and Mark Botwright

Note: If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Time: 00:58:15|File Size: 72mb | Direct Link

@Phil Hinton @Steve Withers With regard to Netflix and HDR, are Netflix allowed to stream a film in Dolby Vision only? Is it only films from disc that must also have HDR10 available as well, under the UHD Alliance mandate?

As far as I know Netflix will be offering HDR using HDR 10 and the option of Dolby Vision, they'd be crazy to do anything else. I was watching Marco Polo in HDR on a Samsung KS9000 last night and that only supports HDR 10. It looked annoyingly good, wish I had a faster internet connection.

As far as I know Netflix will be offering HDR using HDR 10 and the option of Dolby Vision, they'd be crazy to do anything else. I was watching Marco Polo in HDR on a Samsung KS9000 last night and that only supports HDR 10. It looked annoyingly good, wish I had a faster internet connection.
Thanks Steve. I just wondered if Dolby might have done a deal with Netflix to just show in Dolby Vision as a way of promoting DV but like you say Netflix would be crazy to do that.

Cheers.

The finest naan bread in the universe comes from co-op, I know that much...

Hopefully I'll pick up a DMP-UB900 in a week or so. Happy days - the disc format that might never have happened, managed to become a thing :thumbsup:.

The finest naan bread in the universe comes from co-op, I know that much...

Hopefully I'll pick up a DMP-UB900 in a week or so. Happy days - the disc format that might never have happened, managed to become a thing :thumbsup:.
I'll be interested to hear if the UB900 plays well with the LS10000 Jon.

Sony incorporating a 4K player into a newer Playstation - surely this is a good way to resell to the same people who already own one - surely their sales must naturally saturate at some point so this can be a big boost maybe?
Also a good way to sway new customers in a do I choose Playstation or Xbox - I get a free UHD player with the Sony.

guessing this is why the comments were as they were in the pod

Very amusing episode this week.

The Blake's 7 effects weren't all 2D though. In fact the original model of the Liberator sold recently on ebay for £33k! Link

Waitrose also often have samphire on their fresh fish counter, but not always.

Last edited:
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Always look forward to listening to the podcasts(sad but true)I think it's inevitable that there will be a ps4k. Would like to say more but must dash out to Tesco.

Great podcast guys!
Nice review on the UB900, I've got one coming this week to go with my new panny 65DX902 which I got on the strength of your review & have been loving it so far,
my last TV was a 9yr old 7th Gen 50" pioneer plasma, so quite the upgrade for me :)
...Also I just wanted to point out that I am one the Luddites who will be using the 7.1 analogue outs of the ub900 to connect to my Arcam AV9 pre/pro :laugh:
I have been doing the same thing with my Sony 5000es for about 6 years with great results, I'm hoping the UB900 will also give as good results :confused:
I just wish the reviews went more in depth on that side of the (D to A) performance, but I realise that I'm in the minority for that.
Keep up the good work guys, looking forward to next weeks.
PS. Was good to have Mark B's Dulcet tones back on :thumbsup:

I too was a big fan of Blakes Seven and Steve how could you forget Avon the biggest scheming back stabbing character of the seventies.

Great to hear Mark again I have really missed the games section and the games podcast.

I am a mix of you guys I love my home cinema both hardware and media. I am a lover of vinyl records. I am a big gamer so the Podcast is a great way to pass an hour.
Thanks again

A PS4K would be a good way to appeal to those undecided on either UHD or a games console to take the plunge as with a £300 console that also plays UHD blu-ray you're effectively getting one or the other for free. Sony can also use it to push their streaming service.

If they do upgrade the performance though, they would have to be careful to ensure developers can cater to both the older and newer consoles, which leads me to think a simple video output/UHD upgrade with the same level of gaming performance is more likely. I do like the suggestion of HDR being enabled though - and that shouldn't require extra processing power.

Bring the games podcast back! Or I will settle for a game segment each week.

Always great to have Mark Botwright and the gaming section on the podcast!

Top listen as always gents; make my train journey somewhat bearable.

Oh my, what a podcast. Brilliant guys and great hear Mark B will be a regular.

Ironically since you guys have moved the recording to Friday, today there was more news/rumours about the PS4K codenamed Neo. A nice twist on the Morpheus VR goggles.

Apparently, there will be a jump in quality for games, however there MUST be a regular PS4 version on the same disc and it will also be forbidden to make a PS4 Neo only game either disc based or PSN.

Games can be 4K, but I rather doubt they will. I think developers will concentrate on better textures and/or keep a rock solid frame rate

The jump in power however will also be a big help with the VR module as the power requirements to make a decent VR will be high. Given Oculus Rift needs a pretty heavy duty PC rig, this makes sense as PS4 would struggle I'm sure for a really good looking game.

So as for dates, the VR will be out for October and maybe it might be out for then, but equally PS4 Neo games could be made for then ready for a consoles release nearer the holiday season.

Once again, loved the podcast guys. Nice bit of tech and geek talk and some great way off topic chats and laughs. Brilliant.

@Steve Withers in regards to your internet connection (outside shot) I also live in a village with a very poor internet connection of only 2mb but strangley enough I can get 4G mobile speeds which is faster then most fibre speeds. Worth a look if you want a good speed but the only issue is usage limits. I can get upto about 56mb/s.

Bring the games podcast back! Or I will settle for a game segment each week.
Not to recommend other podcasts but videogamer uk weekly is a good gaming podcast. Similar MO interms of 4/5 people round a mic for banter. A lot more profanity which may put some people off.

Not to recommend other podcasts but videogamer uk weekly is a good gaming podcast. Similar MO interms of 4/5 people round a mic for banter. A lot more profanity which may put some people off.

Thanks for the tip - I will have a look.

p.s. I just realised I joined the community on 19th April 2006 - I'm ten today!!

Blakes 7 was my favourite sci-fi from that era, pity there was no 5th series.

The ps4k makes perfect sense. The hardware requirements for 4k and VR are similar, 4k requires ~4x the pixels, vr requires ~2x the pixels and 2x the framerate. In most cases it should be relatively straighforward for developers to update their existing titles to output at 4k. I'm not sure they will be improving textures though as that is more dependent on the amount of memory. Whether they will achieve 4x gpu performance remains to be seen but perhaps it will be possible with HBM (or HBM2?), since HBM offers ~4x the memory bandwidth of GDDR5.

What is HBM mate?

Rest in Peace Gareth Thomas, and respect to you guys for mentioning him and Blake's 7 in your podcast. I'm a HUGE fan of B7. I first watched it as a sci-fi mad 8 year old... a lot of the story was beyond me then, but it had spaceships, computers and teleport bracelets, and that was enough! I re-discovered it on UK Gold in the 90's and I've probably watched the entire thing 10 times since then! I've been checking out the Panasonic DX902B in local showrooms recently, and in the bag of 2D and 3D Blu Rays I took with me to test the TV was also one of the Blake's 7 series on DVD, along with the BBC's Hitchhiker's Guide and Red Dwarf... it's essential that this stuff is still watchable on a big 4K TV!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom