Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
This week we discuss:

00:01:30 Onkyo and Denon announce Dolby Atmos capable AVRs
00:15:05 LG’s webOS/Smart+ System
00:18:15 LG 47LB730 Full HD LED LCD TV
00:19:21 PlayStation Now pricing announced
00:26:06 What’s on at the cinema Steve? - 3 Days to Kill/Belle/The Fault in our Stars/Jersey Boys - Four films in five minutes!
00:31:27 Blu-ray releases this week - Ride Along/Non-Stop
00:33:33 Rian Johnson announced as writer/director of Star Wars Episode VIII
00:39:54 Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End is the most expensive film of all time!
00:49:40 Jaws has just had its 39th birthday, is the modern bloated blockbuster a result of that film’s success?
00:55:39 How long since the team last bought a Blu-ray?
01:00:54 All killer and no filler!
01:02:27 Goodbyes

Presented by Phil Hinton with Steve Withers, Mark Botwright, Simon Crust and Ed Selley.

If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Time: 01:03:22 | File Size: 87mb | Direct Link

Totally agree on the movie budgets. They keep making the same film with bigger and bigger explosions, more cgi and less acting.

At some point there will be a very big explosion and it won't be an effect.
Then they'll start making movies that aren't kak.

I can't actually remember the last time I saw a movie that really moved me/blew me away.

Good stuff chaps, thank you.

The announcements on Dolby Atmos equipped AVR's was a pleasant surprise, but I'd sooner hear about Auro 3D making it into the more affordable consumer market, personally. Being in a similar position to Lord Withers, there's no significant other to deny me more channels in my lounge (and whilst small, it's nicely geared towards height / ceiling channels). As discussed though, ceiling speakers aren't of much benefit when the human brain & ears have a hard time hearing directly above them, and there'll be little use of them in most films (big dumb fun films being the likely exception - Transformers et al).

Auro appears to be easier to integrate - but being an Onkyo fan boy, it might well be a case of jumping ship since they appear to have jumped into bed with Dolby (unless it's just a case of Dolby getting out of the blocks sooner).

A possibly design feature for future Onkyo AVR's - a scrolling advertising display on the front panel, similar to the pitch side banners at football grounds...I might patent this one...

As a not avid Star Wars fan, I'm neither that excited or worried about the future plans, though the leaked photos from Episode 7's filming, look quite impressive - a lack of CGI, replaced by some real, authentic looking sets.

The amount of money thrown at some films, especially in recent years - somebody, somewhere, has made a killing. The bubble has to burst at some point though - anything North of the $200m mark before advertising, needs to start being profitable, I cant see the studios spending that much money every year being a sustainable option. There's a few big spenders that have been a success in recent years (Iron Man 3, Skyfall for example). The bigger is better mentality only goes so far though.

Disney seem to have a habit of it recently - Pirates, The Lone Ranger, John Carter - that's a lot of money being thrown around, creating nothing but very expensive turds, that look and sound fantastic on Blu-Ray. If you worked in the Disney marketing department, surely there is an opportunity to conduct a feasibility study into the benefits of advertising such films on a new Turd-Ray format.

p.s. I did post an ask the idiots question last week...:hiya: It went something like this...

Your absolute favourite AV experience, the sort that left you gobsmacked / amazed? Be it a demo, review sample, studio visit etc.

Link to starwars pics or it didnt happen?
Edit. Found them thanks..ps iron man 3 sucked harder than an alien face hugger :)

Last edited:
Link to starwars pics or it didnt happen?
The force is only a Google away...
article-2646455-1E69133C00000578-583_964x452.jpg

article-2646455-1E69111E00000578-215_964x533.jpg

Thanks team, I really enjoy the weekly podcasat on the commute and when travelling for work.

Regarding the purchase of Blu-ray's, I can concur I am super selective on what I purchase however your recent 'top 50/3D/etc' lists have made me create new amazon wishlists!

Until Sky OnDemand has 1080p then I will stick with Netflix for films.

Great podcast, all the better without the AV food supplement. Going to miss it in July!

Great listen as always guys :)

As for buying Blu-ray's. Who is paying £20 for for a single movie? That's madness. I've never paid £20+ for anything but Boxsets. I'm still buying discs every month, and always take advantage of multi-buy offers. Five to six quid is what I'm generally paying per disc.

I've only bought three new release discs this year, which were the new Hobbit and Hunger Games movies, and Metallica: Through The Never, but even those were only around £13 each. Aside from those three, I watch all new releases via Lovefilm By Post, and then just wait until they are on offer if I want to buy any of them. Between Zavvi, Amazon and Play.com, it never takes too long until you can pick things up for a great price.

So far this year, I've bought 21 discs and 1 Boxset for the grand total of £123, which I'd say is pretty good value for money :)

Hey Steve, Phil, did you know you've been mentioned on the AV Rant podcast after your discussion on subs!

Hey Steve, Phil, did you know you've been mentioned on the AV Rant podcast after your discussion on subs!
Yes, good to know they listen to the podcast, although I don't think they were listening very closely.

Oh and by the way, I have perfect teeth. I think that particular English stereotype is no longer true; a bit like the stereotype of Americans being over-bearing and opinionated.

after a phone reset ive lost my dogcatcher feed to the avforums podcast :( anyone know what the RSS is for it to work on android?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom