AVForums Podcast: 77-inch LG C9 OLED TV & Acoustic Energy AE500 Speaker Reviews & More...

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
On this week's podcast...
00:00:00 - Start
00:00:22 - Tribute to Kirk Douglas
00:03:24 - What have we done this week?
00:17:41 - Current Competitions
00:18:44 - Steve reviews the 77-inch LG C9 OLED TV
00:31:26 - Ed reviews the Acoustic Energy AE500 speakers
00:41:07 - Cinema releases this week
00:42:53 - 4K and Blu-ray releases and streaming shows
00:53:33 - The AVForums Oscars 2020
01:17:26 - Goodbyes

Presented by Phil Hinton with Steve Withers, Ed Selley and Mark Botwright

Note: If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Time: 01:37:04 | File Size: 144mb | Direct Link

I can confirm that a 77 inch OLED looks incredible. I have the Sony AG9. It was £6k but the price has actually gone up since. I recommend going for the biggest screen you can.

@11minutes and 47 seconds in, there was a bit of confusion, shared by the man himself (and by me when I checked!) about when we last heard Mr Botwright's genial tones. To my surprise he was last on as far back as the Christmas podcast on 16th December, when we had a full house of contributors.

Big respect to Kirk Douglas for standing up against the vile 1950s anti-"communist" witchhunt, which I didn't know until he died. And for having a hand in One flew over the Cuckoo's Nest.

The 77C9 OLED sounds great. I think of Mr Withers's discussion thread Has OLED reached its peak? If it has reached its peak, that's still quite a high peak, how much better should OLED become? I feel that most people, including on this forum, are very happy with OLED as it currently is.

The 77C9 OLED sounds great. I think of Mr Withers's discussion thread Has OLED reached its peak? If it has reached its peak, that's still quite a high peak, how much better should OLED become? I feel that most people, including on this forum, are very happy with OLED as it currently is.
Interesting comments, seeing as, according to your signature, you do not own an OLED TV yourself!

Here is one for cats - orange they hate the citric smell. Bit of orange peel in your hand and let the cat come over. One sniff and it runs away with a look of disgust.
Catnip in reverse.

Top Gear first time in weeks you guys have not mentioned it and yet I really laughed this time.
This weeks episode had perhaps the single funniest ever event happened in Top Gear involving a Pontiac Firebird. From what I can tell it wasn't planned either. I will not go further than that but you will know when it happens.

Oh Parasite good guess there. Someone on the podcast will feel smug next week :D

Interesting comments, seeing as, according to your signature, you do not own an OLED TV yourself!
Indeed I do not, Sir, but I'm more than happy to accept the word of reviewers like Messrs Hinton and Withers, or indeed of OLED owners. I do aspire, perhaps at the end of next year, 2021, to find a second-hand or heavily discounted 88" OLED television .......

Top pod, guys. Have to say Steve that I stuck with Homeland and it actually got really good after Damien Lewis left (at least IMO), great show but glad they're bringing it to a conclusion.

@Phil Hinton
Phil are Panasonic going to be showing the rest of their 2020 OLED range in Frankfurt this month around the 18th, like last year? I have been searching the web but can find no mention of it anywhere. Thanks 😊

@Phil Hinton
Phil are Panasonic going to be showing the rest of their OLED range in Frankfurt this month around the 18th, like last year? I have been searching the web but can find no mention of it anywhere. Thanks 😊
They are holding a UK event at Pinewood next week where we should get details of the rest of the range.

Really enjoyed that podcast, thanks gents. I think my next tv may be a 77" if it can creep down to the £3k-4k mark? Maybe asking a lot there... Happy with my 65" E8 for now. But I agree Steve - that's a lot of tv for your money. Do you still have the 65" C8 or did you sell that?

I think that this may be the first oscars in a long time whereby the public opinion largely agrees with the results. Parasite has had enormous mainstream success. Reading the reaction on the avforums oscars thread, it seems that most are delighted for Bong Joon-ho and his team. Personally, one of my favourite titles of last year. It was criminal that UK and Ireland were the last countries to screen Parasite - three weeks after Saudi Arabia (which only lifted the ban on cinemas two years ago).

Regarding film editing, Phil got it spot on. There is a great article here about Martin Scorcese's editor, Thelma Schoonmaker, on the work she did for the Irishman.

She clearly adores her work, but says the role of film editor is a "mysterious one", and not many people outside the industry know what she actually does.

"You would have to sit in the room with me to find out. I make 100 decisions a day with Marty - basically what we do is we get raw footage from the set [and] our job is to figure out how all the shots will work best. Is the scene flowing, is it too long, too short, are we building up one character too much instead of another? It's hard to explain beyond that.

"It's just the most wonderfully creative job. It's as if you're sculpting a raw clump of clay. You're gradually forming it into a shape."

[\QUOTE]

Really enjoyed that podcast, thanks gents. I think my next tv may be a 77" if it can creep down to the £3k-4k mark? Maybe asking a lot there... Happy with my 65" E8 for now. But I agree Steve - that's a lot of tv for your money. Do you still have the 65" C8 or did you sell that?

I think that this may be the first oscars in a long time whereby the public opinion largely agrees with the results. Parasite has had enormous mainstream success. Reading the reaction on the avforums oscars thread, it seems that most are delighted for Bong Joon-ho and his team. Personally, one of my favourite titles of last year. It was criminal that UK and Ireland were the last countries to screen Parasite - three weeks after Saudi Arabia (which only lifted the ban on cinemas two years ago).

Regarding film editing, Phil got it spot on. There is a great article here about Martin Scorcese's editor, Thelma Schoonmaker, on the work she did for the Irishman.

I'm pretty sure that some members managed to pick up 77" versions of the C8 for around £4,000 so it's not too outlandish a proposition.

Another enjoyable listen gentlemen.

77" screens! I only just managed to get the other half to agree to a 49" screen in the lounge last time. I think I will be able to get her approval for a 55" OLED next year, but not an extra 2.5 feet!

Hi Steve, have you tried NowTV Boost on LG OLED WebOS. I understand it is supported?

NowTV Boost subscription delivers 1080p/5.1 audio for only additional £3 a month.

Top Gear first time in weeks you guys have not mentioned it and yet I really laughed this time.
This weeks episode had perhaps the single funniest ever event happened in Top Gear involving a Pontiac Firebird. From what I can tell it wasn't planned either. I will not go further than that but you will know when it happens.

I'm not at all convinced it wasn't planned. If only for the convenient muscle car gathering later. Nah not buying it, well they did TBF. However, apart from that it was the best episode so far, though convertible car golf ball collecting runs a close second.

PLEASE BBC don't force the comedy. With this lot you don't need try and create funny events. They'll happen all by themselves.

Definitely going to check out Parasite. Seems the Oscars are not totally up their own arses after all.

Top pod, guys. Have to say Steve that I stuck with Homeland and it actually got really good after Damien Lewis left (at least IMO), great show but glad they're bringing it to a conclusion.

Best thing they did and got a lot better after that. The best seasons have been the most recent ones. Looking forward to the final season.

Great podcast again folks :)

I'm not at all convinced it wasn't planned. If only for the convenient muscle car gathering later. Nah not buying it, well they did TBF. However, apart from that it was the best episode so far, though convertible car golf ball collecting runs a close second.

PLEASE BBC don't force the comedy. With this lot you don't need try and create funny events. They'll happen all by themselves.

Definitely going to check out Parasite. Seems the Oscars are not totally up their own arses after all.

They had terrible footage of the 'incident' and I really am not sure they would risk it for the safety of the occupant - it is a pretty dangerous thing to happen.

Re the Super Bowl chat - I have a different approach, since i tend to be in bed by 10/1030...

I record the coverage and get up at 5am, making an effort to not look at any screen. I then watch the game forwarding all the breaks and half time show (watch that later). it's over by 7am and i've seen every play without knowing the result. Granted, it means i drink coffee rather than beer though.

MB

Indeed I do not, Sir, but I'm more than happy to accept the word of reviewers like Messrs Hinton and Withers, or indeed of OLED owners. I do aspire, perhaps at the end of next year, 2021, to find a second-hand or heavily discounted 88" OLED television .......

I think you’d have to be looking at an 8K OLED at that kind of size?

Regarding suv’s...as someone who drives a transporter van for work almost daily and suffers from lower back problems the driving position offered by an suv is far more comfortable for me and the reason I will never own a normal car again. The suv concept all in all is a better way to travel.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom