AVForums Podcast - BenQ W5700, Polk Signature E and Naim Mu-So QB Gen 2 Reviews and more... 03/02/20

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
00:00:00 - Start
00:00:27 - What have we done this week?
00:15:04 - Current Competitions
00:17:12 - Phil reviews the BenQ W5700 4K DLP Projector
00:22:01 - Steve reviews the Polk Signature E Speakers
00:30:30 - Ed reviews the Naim Mu-So QB Gen 2
00:37:30 - Album, Playlist and Vinyl of the month
00:47:57 - Movie reviews - Richard Jewell, The Lighthouse, Queen & Slim and Netflix's Uncut Gems
00:56:40 - Cinema Releases, Best Film of the Month
01:01:42 - 4K & Blu-ray disc releases and Best Disc for the month
01:11:24 - What films are we looking forward to in 2020?
01:36:02 - Goodbyes

Presented by Phil Hinton with Steve Withers, Ed Selley and Cas Harlow

Note: If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Time: 01:37:04 | File Size: 151mb | Direct Link

That felt like the quickest SuperBowl for a while....yeah, yeah, I know, thats not hard. But hey, there was always last year to really test a newbies patience. Thank God for the BBC as the NFL GamePass suffered. The GamePass is an ace way of consuming the NFL. Every game in full, 40min and 10 min highlights. Dumping Sky Sports anyway, but once the game they show is done, that's it, you rarely get the chance to see anything from the past week. But love BBC's presenters.

Anyway, great podcast as usual.

Thanks for the pod :) .

I know proper rockers may scoff, but I love Biffy Clyro, so I'll definitely check out Twin Atlantic, even if they are only comparable on a superficial level. Thanks.

For modern day X-files vibes, I massively recommend HBO's "The Outsider". It's been excellent so far.

Last edited:
4E9E334B-BB92-4371-9656-594EF94741B3.jpeg

As I understand in addition to obviously requiring a HDR TV in order to watch Dracula in HDR on BBC iPlayer you have to be signed into Beta version. In BBC iPlayer go to settings and choose Beta. This works on both LG WEB OS and Android native TV BBC iPlayer.

Agree with the Ben Watt recommendation. weirdly it has some similar sentiments and references to growing older, managing long term relationships and death to the new James Blunt album. I only know this because my wife is constantly listening to Blunty which may lead me to writing a song about the death of a long term relationship due to musical differences. As an x Hull resident who worked in Ferensway and only go back very infrequently the evocation of somewhere that had a huge impact in the your life is very powerful.

Thanks for yet another great podcast.

Phil, whats the bbc4 programme called? Re films. Can’t find it at all.

Thanks for yet another great podcast.

Phil, whats the bbc4 programme called? Re films. Can’t find it at all.
[/QUOTE

Sorry, ignore that. 15 minutes searching via sky tv iPlayer = nothing. IPlayer app, first thing on the bloody list. Life cinematic

Last edited:
Have you guys thought of doing a small section on YouTube vids ?
Two suggestions: A brilliant all-girl group who can ALL sing solo or 4 part harmonies, play guitars, drums, banjos, ukes, keyboards, balalaika, etc, etc. More than 20 in all ! They swap instruments at each song - ( name another group who can do this ? ) They have a cult following, but are now going solo. Four Norwegian beauties going under the name of Katzenjammer. Many of their concerts are on YT. Two: an American group playing old time music - brilliant musicians who play in the streets of New Orleans, with a cult following to match KJ. Just watch Shaye as she almost invisibly conducts each musician to solo. It's a treat to see. They are filmed for YT almost everyday by enthusiasts. Their name: Tuba Skinny. If your feet are not tapping to this - your dead.. !

Thanks for a great podcast everyone.
Really looking forward to your thoughts @Steve Withers on the SVS 2000 pro and the 77” C9. Could you comment (in the review) on how much more (hopefully) immersive it is compared to the 65”. I’m thinking if budget can stretch going up to this size next year, just wondering if HD content will look poor if sitting close (the way SD did back when going up to the big 65”)
I’d imagine UHD/Gaming will look awesome!

Great podcast thanks chaps. I will never be able to look a Cornish pastie without seeing the chewiest monster, so funny!.

Thanks for a great podcast everyone.
Really looking forward to your thoughts @Steve Withers on the SVS 2000 pro and the 77” C9. Could you comment (in the review) on how much more (hopefully) immersive it is compared to the 65”. I’m thinking if budget can stretch going up to this size next year, just wondering if HD content will look poor if sitting close (the way SD did back when going up to the big 65”)
I’d imagine UHD/Gaming will look awesome!
Well I sit just over two meters from the screen, so it seems very immersive to me. Although you do get used to the size of the screen very quickly, and thus lose any sense of perspective (65-inch TVs start to look small). High def looks great, especially Blu-rays, so don't worry about that.

Excellent podcast once again.

On the Superbowl. @Phil Hinton It looks like Mahomes is going to be one of the great quarterbacks. At 24 already a league MVP (most valuable player) and now Superbowl champ and MVP.

I am going to watch Parasite on Monday. Can't wait as it's meant to be one of the best films of 2019. Second favourite after 1917 for Best Picture and Director at the Oscars. One of the director's (Bong Joon-ho) previous films "Snowpiercer" is available on All 4 for the next couple of days after airing on Film 4 last week: Snowpiercer

For 2020 the films I am most looking forward to are:
1. Tenet (Original Christopher Nolan - I'm already sold).
2. Dune (Star Wars for adults as the director Denis Villeneuve calls it: ‘Dune’ Adaptation Will Be ‘Star Wars for Adults’ Says Director).
3. Mank (David Fincher's next film which is being made by Netflix: Mank - Wikipedia).

Last edited:
Excellent podcast once again.

On the Superbowl. @Phil Hinton It looks like Mahomes is going to be one of the great quarterbacks. At 24 already a league MVP (most valuable player) and now Superbowl champ and MVP.

Hopefully. Thought he was a little off on the Superbowl, but you can thank the 49'ers for that. But he can always pull off the throws needed, just like Brady and unlike Rodgers. I'm sure being the highest paid QB (assuming) next season will help.

I am most looking forward to the 2020 Nolan Movie as discussed. Although I am a fan of the Marvel Movies, a little tired or jaded with it all. Having said that I wouldn’t under estimate the creative masters at Marvel based on recent brilliant releases. End game.

How do you get a nun pregnant?
Dress her up like an altar boy

Hey @Ed Selley : Man the "Audio Gold Expanding Jukebox" playlist is one of the Finest recommendations you ever gave (and god knows, i check every single Album/Vinyl/playlist..of the month you mention)

To everyone, the playlist is well curated, will take you on a jounrey to 60/70s mutli-cultural aspects (soul to jazz to blues ...).

Kudos Ed !! keep em coming.

Excellent as always

I had no interest but upon Cas's mention I've viewed the trailer for WW84, that trailer remix of Blue Monday I defo am going to get hold of

Shame no mention of Fantasy Island

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 133
To Ed and Co. was wondering if you could let us know the title of your created playlist and which music service it is available on - Tidal, Spotify, etc.

To Ed and Co. was wondering if you could let us know the title of your created playlist and which music service it is available on - Tidal, Spotify, etc.
Here's Ed's profile on Spotify : Ed Selley

You will find all playlists (and more)

I know you are mostly talking about interested new 2020 Movies in this Podcast, but I am also looking forward to this controversial show. Anyway I think it is a TV show - not clear.

2C5FD7B5-18DE-4E6A-B9D3-5630ECA589E0.jpeg

The Superbowl always better the next day on the highlights shows
Well not always. Last year yes, but take say Patriots Vs Falcons was one you wanted to watch every second. An absolute pasting then later an er, absolute pasting.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom