AVForums Podcast: CES 2020 Special - news discussion

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
Phil and Steve wrap-up the CES coverage with discussions on the latest TV announcements from this year's show and what to look forward to in 2020.

Presented by Phil Hinton with Steve Withers

Note: If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Time: 01:46:41 | File Size: 204mb | Direct Link

Last edited:
Agree with @Jokerr , great coverage this year, appreciate all the work and look forward to your findings over the year.

Micro led is exciting, it will be a ridiculous price, but not so long ago LG’s 65” oleds cost £7K for 65”, now 8 months after each annual release you are getting a 65” for £1800 (although we will need micro led competition). In the meantime oled / mini led /dual lcd/ QDoled will keep many of us happy.

Very disappointed on the Atmos music front, but assuming it will come to those who have a proper Atmos setup. Don’t know if it’s an age thing or ease of streaming but I’m definitely listening to more music these days on my surround system, it’s an easy sell ...

I’ve seen a few leaked shots of Yamahas new AV receiver range (full hdmi 2.1 etc), I take it the AVR side was only for the suppliers in closed rooms (you mentioned) and not open to the journalists?

Looks like 2020 will be as LG once said “a tick tock” tock year, although all the increments are great. Panasonic and Sony missed a trick on the hdmi front (especially Sony as they are releasing their next gen console in November), I hear what you are saying with regard to most 2.1 features are available with 2.0b. I’m just not sure what the limit of 2.1 features on 2.0b is. I’d like to have all on offer from 2.1 including the not often discussed QFT, QMS never mind VRR/eArc/Allm (Good to see in the leaked Yamaha shot they all get a mention).

Thanks again!

Great pod cast. looks like Samsung really took marketing control of CES' with huge range of tv's; so much so that they didn't even talk about their 4K range. then there was the small stuff like their 30TB SSD drives.

It was a smart move by Samsung not to have new conference and show of their stuff at the beginning as wasn't sure LG was present initially. But LG with an 8 am news conference in Las Vegas says it all! Burn in is an LG issue that is not going away, this forum here keeps on bring it up with numerous examples, so no extended warranty program was mentioned? Then did I hear right that the roll up 65 inch was $65K! If so LG's continued production problems are really having a price impact, but "with round about 50% yield" is worse than bad and not sustainable business model; nor is good for the environment.

The TCL and Hisense discussion was good, especially hearing that Hisense 100 inch laser 4k tv at 4k or 4,5K in the UK is really impressive. I expect that these two companies will begin to squeeze LG out of the TV market over the next few years. Even in this pod cast the time devoted to these two companies innovations seem to be much longer than than the time to spent on LG.

Panasonic and Sony don't have HDMI 2.1! It would be useful to have a summary feature chart /table that highlight who has what as it seems that some are saying 2.1 HDMI and "fudging" 2.0b as 2.1. the same for which TV's have or don't have DV or HDR10+, Film maker Mode etc.

again thanks for the CES 2020 coverage.

Last edited:
When is the price of 77’’ oled starting to come down?

Phil and Steve wrap-up the CES coverage with discussions on the latest TV announcements from this year's show and what to look forward to in 2020.

Presented by Phil Hinton with Steve Withers

Note: If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Time: 01:46:41 | File Size: 204mb | Direct Link

Hi I think the direct link is for the previous podcast and not this one? I just downloaded it and it played the pod from Dec 16th. Cheers.

haven't had the chance to listen this podcast yet, but thanks for the coverage of CES and this is probably not the place to ask this but i'll ask anyway @Phil Hinton . there was an article that appeared yesterday or the day before on the front page of the forums, regarding this years Yamaha receivers and hdmi 2.1 but has disappeared, any reason why Phil? and will it return!

there was an article that appeared yesterday or the day before on the front page of the forums, regarding this years Yamaha receivers and hdmi 2.1 but has disappeared, any reason why Phil? and will it return!
It was removed as the original source could not be corroborated and it was unclear if the information was correct. We have asked Yamaha to send us the correct details and images when they can and that will appear on the site.

Great podcast, as usual guys. Would love to hear more about the Next GenTV standard using the ATSC 3.0 tuner, and if / when it will come to the UK. ( I did read the topic on your site, btw. ) Will the UK version of the Samsung 8K Qled have that tuner, I wonder ?

Great coverage of CES. Well done guys.

Panasonic and Sony don't have HDMI 2.1! It would be useful to have a summary feature chart /table that highlight who has what as it seems that some are saying 2.1 HDMI and "fudging" 2.0b as 2.1. the same for which TV's have or don't have DV or HDR10+, Film maker Mode etc.

Can I second this suggestion. This would be very useful for reviews. The table (or a separate one) could also list which streaming services were supported by each TV.

I noticed that streaming service support was not really discussed in the podcast. Any updates that you could provide on this front? Who will be supporting Apple TV+and Disney+? This would be a good question to ask Panasonic and Philips et al. at their own events in the near future.

The fudge surrounding HDMI 2.1 seems to be very confusing, maybe worthy of an article discussing its features, purpose and implementation to clear up the confusion? Is it due to lack of chipsets or cost issues or complacency? Will it be implemented in other devices apart from TV's soon? e.g. AV receivers, Games Consoles?

An article covering the Dolby Vision v HDR10+ "format war" would also be interesting to read. Why manufactures chose certain formats and why some support both. Which one looks better in practice. Why distributors (streaming services and 4k blu-ray) and production studios choose one or the other and a final summary of who uses which format?

Last edited:
Great stuff, imagine trying to fit all that into 30 minutes!

The Dolby Vision IQ was interesting, first step towards visual room calibration?

Awesome coverage Phil. I know it's not the most fun to do and to be on your own must come with mixed blessings.

Flabergasted about Dolby Atmos music that is only available via a bluetooth speaker LOL. I mean that's the kind thing you'd expect from Sony. Very odd how they demo a song with a full blown Atmos set-up, then add a footnote of "your not going to be to hear it like this outside of this room."

I'm sure/hope things will change, but that's laughable.

Flabergasted about Dolby Atmos music that is only available via a bluetooth speaker LOL. I mean that's the kind thing you'd expect from Sony. Very odd how they demo a song with a full blown Atmos set-up, then add a footnote of "your not going to be to hear it like this outside of this room."

I'm sure/hope things will change, but that's laughable.

I cant wait to see this on AV receivers. I bet it will be 2021 when we see it though.

I bet this time next year we will see many HIFI products supporting Dolby Atmos Music.

The high end consumer headphone community is going to be all over this.

what is not clear is the resolution/bit rate of it via TIDAL HIFI / AMAZON MUSIC. If it is not atleast 96Khz and 24bit, then i am not interested.

Great podcast guys but I must go back to the image retention . I have a 65ef950 4 years old bought from new and I have image retention from gaming and I actually turn off all HUD on all game mine is from FIFA menus that I just skip through to get to games . It only shows on a red screen but it does exist even if you are careful . Mine is calibrated as well .

it doesn’t deter me from OLED is just a sham when it comes to repair as LG know this as does Domestic and General so you are stuck with something that can’t be unseen and they will not honor their policies.

newer OLED have more precautions in the tech but still it’s pretty shit that the manufacturer does not support repair as they say it’s mis used for turning on a tv and using it .
With next gen consoles very close and searing colorful images at higher resolution they better make that 48 inch bang on or gamers will just stick with LED eventually

Down to what price?? Currently Richer Sounds have the Sony Bravia 77AG9 for £5899 and the LG 77C9 for £5999, (two months ago it was reduced from its initial seven grand) which seems a decent price for OLED technology at 77 inches.
When you can buy the 65" C9 for £1,800, £6,000 for the 77" seems relatively expensive. I'd rather three 65" tvs around the house and £600 in my pocket than just one 77". That or get the 65" now and wait for the 77" to drop. Which is basically what I did when I bought a 65" C8 Mid 2018.

I always look forward to your “summing up CES” podcast and you didn’t disappoint. Thanks for this and all the coverage on the site. The CES 2020 tab at the top made it much quicker to find.

I’m looking forward to your views on the 48” OLED in due course, as that floats my boat. My Panasonic plasma just needs to hang on a few weeks more after 15 years (didn’t they say plasma screens wouldn’t last 10y?)

All the best

MB

PS don’t forget to review Star Wars !

When you can buy the 65" C9 for £1,800, £6,000 for the 77" seems relatively expensive. I'd rather three 65" tvs around the house and £600 in my pocket than just one 77". That or get the 65" now and wait for the 77" to drop. Which is basically what I did when I bought a 65" C8 Mid 2018.
Across all manufacturers, and for both OLED and LCD technologies, there has always been a big jump in price in going from 65" to 75"/77"/78", relatively much more than the increase in screen area. For instance, when I bought my 75ZD9 in January 2018 at a discounted price of £5,100 compared to its initial price of £7000, if I remember rightly the cost of the 65" ZD9 was about £2,500, So the price increase in going from 65" to 75" was 100%, much more than the 33% increase in screen area.

And that effect is exaggerated even further in going from a 75" to an 85", the increase in price is an even bigger jump than the increase in area.

@Phil Hinton and @Steve Withers I'm not sure if I could have a conversation with only one other person for as long as one and three-quarter hours and still be coherent, so thank you muchly.

Just two points about the podcast. One, at 33 minutes and 48 seconds, it is said that the stand of the Sony ZH8 is wider than the screen, so that light from the feet don't reflect towards the screen. That would necessitate a very wide stand. However, it was mentioned on the-website-that-we-aren't-allowed to-link-to that the legs are dual position, and that is confirmed from Sony UK's own website, under the sub-heading "Discrete stand, dual position". So you can move the feet closer to the centre if your stand or shelf is not so wide. The second point, in the discussion about Filmmaker mode, at 82 minutes and 20 seconds, "your aunty or your granny" are mentioned. I'm sure that Filmmaker Mode will be equally useful for your uncle or your grandad.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom