AVForums Podcast: Editor's Choice Awards 2019 - Best TVs, Hi-Fi and AV Products 25/11/19

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
00:00:00 - Sponsor message
00:00:58 - What have we done this week?
00:13:36 - Current Competitions
00:15:56 - Best Home AV Products of 2019
00:45:20 - Best Hi-Fi Products of 2019
01:03:29 - Best TVs of 2019
01:17:27 - First thoughts on Jedi: Fallen Order
01:23:52 - Cinema releases this week
01:25:42 - Disc releases this week
01:27:40 - Streaming releases this week
01:28:45 - Spoiler film review - Le Mans '66
01:38:55 - Goodbyes

Presented by Phil Hinton with Steve Withers, Ed Selley and Mark Botwright

Note: If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Time: 01:39:38 | File Size: 201mb | Direct Link

Great podcast.

Not surprised at the revaluation of going back to Sky, the pricing is very aggressive at the moment and fair play to Sky at taking the streaming services on.

The breath of fresh air with it is existing customers don't have to make those silly phone calls threatening to cancel to get the deal. You can even sign up on your Sky box to the new price/18 month contract. Add to that every single product/package is reduced what's not to like.

Just saw that this will be my 1,000th post here, so wanted to use it to say thank you for this Website. In the short time I've been a member I've learnt so much, read so many interesting articles, & followed and participated in so many discussions on a wide variety of topics. Plus I've met so many good people. A breath of fresh air in this Internet World of Toxicity.
Thank you again. :thumbsup:

Shout out to “The 24 Hour War” a good straight doc on Ford v Ferrari. I think it’s free on Prime Video.

The Jay & Silent Bob Reboot movie is getting a very limited UK theatrical release, but it opens this Friday (29 Nov 2019) in (most) Vue Cinemas.

Last edited:
I love how Steve always says samsung like he's saying Samson !

@Steve Withers.
About the Alexa ads on TV, if you listen carefully, the actors/actresses are actually saying Lexa. It's your human brain that inserts the 'A' at the beginning to make it A Lexa.

Great Podcast guys.

I was hoping to hear some pre CES rumours about Samsung and QD Oled, hearing Steve had a visit to Samsung (although NDA'd) has me excited.

Looking online for info, I came across Samsung QNED, not having a laugh, yes as in QNED flanders ....
Is this Samsung dropping QD OLED and going for QD LED (but smaller or nano LED, hence the N), so providing brighter images and more bloom control.

Interesting CES ahead with dual LCD, micro Led etc coming too...

Are you guys heading to CES as an AVF team this year?

We're not I'm afraid. From a two channel perspective, Munich is now my commitment.

We're not I'm afraid. From a two channel perspective, Munich is now my commitment.
I suppose with the current rates, Vegas must cost a fortune...
Will we get a wide vista shot, cracking open a can in Munich ;)

I suppose with the current rates, Vegas must cost a fortune...
Will we get a wide vista shot, cracking open a can in Munich ;)

It can probably be arranged. I can get industry luminaries together in the Munich Airport McDonalds on the Friday evening given they're all in there anyway.

Great Podcast guys.

I was hoping to hear some pre CES rumours about Samsung and QD Oled, hearing Steve had a visit to Samsung (although NDA'd) has me excited.

Looking online for info, I came across Samsung QNED, not having a laugh, yes as in QNED flanders ....
Is this Samsung dropping QD OLED and going for QD LED (but smaller or nano LED, hence the N), so providing brighter images and more bloom control.

Interesting CES ahead with dual LCD, micro Led etc coming too...

Never heard of QNED I'm afraid.

Thanks gents for this week's edition and further detail about your end of year awards. Your rationale appeared to be sound and I always seek out your reviews when considering a purchase. The independence element is also a key factor.

I have just listened to your December edition ten years ago and it's very interesting to recap on where the industry was back then. The issues debated included a potential 3D " format " war, OLED taking over from Plasma, Dolby True HD being the end of the road and a vinyl revival. The style of the podcast has also evolved considerably over the years.

Thanks for another highly entertaining podcast gents.

I too watched Le Mans '66 (or Ford vs Ferrari down here); my Dad and I thought it was solid with the usual Hollywood BS chucked in to flavour the story as discussed in the podcast.

During the end credits, my Dad turned to me and said "I feel more for Ken Miles and more respect for Ferrari than joy for Ford". I was more annoyed at Lola's efforts being largely glossed over.

Last edited:
Have to say Amazon Music HD is great so far.

However, it's let down 99.9% buy it's awful Android Auto App. Suer there are the usual playlists etc, but it doesn't show your music library!!! You can shuffle all your music but that's it. What the actual fluff?!!

Wins no awards from me.

I realise that this thread is now a month old, but I'm listening again to the more recent podcasts.

@Phil Hinton and @Steve Withers At 1 hr, 24 minutes and 57 seconds, just after the mercifully brief discussion about Charlie's Angels, Mr Hinton says "One film that I do want to see is ........" and then Mr Withers comes in with "Good luck in finding a cinema that's screening it" and the result is that I CAN'T MAKE OUT THE TITLE OF THE FILM, grrrr! I've replayed that segment - oh, only about fifteen times! If either of you were to replay that segment to someone who doesn't particularly follow films or AV stuff, I'm sure that they would also have trouble in deciphering the film in question. Come on please, gentlemen. It reminds me of the podcast about six months ago, in which you said something like "In view of what's coming next week" without actually mentioning that that film was Avengers Assemble.

In this particular case, I really can't hear the title of the film, which I'm sure is a shame, as it's obviously good enough for Mr Hinton to want to see it! :)

I realise that this thread is now a month old, but I'm listening again to the more recent podcasts.

@Phil Hinton and @Steve Withers At 1 hr, 24 minutes and 57 seconds, just after the mercifully brief discussion about Charlie's Angels, Mr Hinton says "One film that I do want to see is ........" and then Mr Withers comes in with "Good luck in finding a cinema that's screening it" and the result is that I CAN'T MAKE OUT THE TITLE OF THE FILM, grrrr! I've replayed that segment - oh, only about fifteen times! If either of you were to replay that segment to someone who doesn't particularly follow films or AV stuff, I'm sure that they would also have trouble in deciphering the film in question. Come on please, gentlemen. It reminds me of the podcast about six months ago, in which you said something like "In view of what's coming next week" without actually mentioning that that film was Avengers Assemble.

In this particular case, I really can't hear the title of the film, which I'm sure is a shame, as it's obviously good enough for Mr Hinton to want to see it! :)

Thanks very much richardsim7, but even now knowing what the title is, upon replaying the segment the best that I can make out is "Jay and Silent" before Mr Withers's voice overcomes Mr Hinton's. It just isn't clear with two voices at once. Perhaps it's appropriate that the title of a film containing the word "silent" was not distinctly rendered! :)

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom