AVForums Podcast: Episode 203 - 4th December 2017

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
This week:

00:01:00 – ’Tis the season to be jolly...
00:08:10 – Current competitions
00:09:57 – Editor’s Choice Awards – Best AV Products of 2017
00:24:26 – Editor’s Choice Awards – Best HiFi Products of 2017
00:40:56 – A load of aimless film, tech and Christmas related chat
01:01:15 – What are our favourite non-Bond spy films?
01:03:30 – Goodbyes

Presented by Phil Hinton with Steve Withers, Mark Hodgkinson, Ed Selley and Mark Botwright

Note:
If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Time: 01:04:23 | File Size: 82mb | Direct Link

Last edited:
Good podcast this week guys and here's the first vote for the re-boxing videos, I would definitely be interested in watching you struggle to get a TV back in it's box...

Fingers crossed you make it to the Dolby Cinema in Vegas. Would be great to hear your thoughts on that in the new year. Thanks for another great podcast.

Given that this poddy was an awful lot about items non related to AV I thought I would extrapolate about a situation that I experienced a few weeks ago which has the same connection with AV.... absolutely nothing.

On the last half term (wifey is a school teacher for "special needs") we drove up to Leeds to stay with my mum & dad-in-laws for a few days. I suggested to wifey on one of the evenings that it would be nice if we went out and bought us all some fish & chips for supper.
When we arrived at the appointed plaice :facepalm: I noticed a brown "pile" esconded and residing in approximation with the fish and other odd northern items. I asked "what's that"? :confused: the reply that was proffered was.... "scraps" :confused::confused: I thought she was being personal. Anyway I inquired as to what these "scraps" were with the response.... "oh that's the leftovers of the batter". Hmm I thought i've never seen these in London before (although there are those who know of such things down here in the metropolis... apparently). How much are these "scraps" I asked, "they're free" came the reply. "Ok i'll 'ave some then I retorted (well it's free) I took these "scraps" back to my erstwhile parents-in-law and upon entering them into my orifice I decided that drinking a small glass of cooking oil would be preferable. The offending masticated mush was then expelled at a race of knots where upon the rest was deposited at "grease" :rolleyes: lightening into the bin never to be seen again.... I hope. It was ***kin' 'orrible.... never again.
Well that's my contribution to this weeks AV ramblings.:offtopic: I thank yaw.

Last edited:
Given that this poddy was an awful lot about items non related to AV I thought I would extrapolate about a situation that I experienced a few weeks ago which has the same connection with AV.

On the last half term (wifey is a school teacher for "special needs") we drove up to Leeds to stay with my mum & dad-in-laws for a few days. I suggested to wifey on one of the evenings that it would be nice if we went out and bought us all some fish & chips for supper.
When we arrived at the appointed plaice :facepalm: I noticed a brown "pile" esconded and residing in approximation with the fish and other odd northern items. I asked "what's that"? :confused: the reply that was proffered was.... "scraps" :confused::confused: I thought she was being personal. Anyway I inquired as to what these "scraps" were with the response.... "oh that's the leftovers of the batter". Hmm I thought i've never seen these in London before (although there are those who know of such things down here in the metropolis... apparently). How much are these "scraps" I asked, "they're free" came the reply. "Ok i'll 'ave some then I retorted (well it's free) I took these "scraps" back to my erstwhile parents-in-law and upon entering them into my orifice I decided that drinking a small glass of cooking oil would be preferable. The offending masticated mush was then expelled at a race of knots where upon the rest was deposited at "grease" :rolleyes: lightening into the bin never to be seen again.... I hope. It was ***kin' 'orrible.... never again.
Well that's my contribution to this weeks AV rumblings.:offtopic: I thank yaw.

Free?! I've had to pay 10p for scraps (aka crispy bits). And only at the end of the night.

Feeling robbed now.

Free?! I've had to pay 10p for scraps (aka crispy bits). And only at the end of the night.

Feeling robbed now.

heavybreathing.gif
You were robbed, they should have paid me for that semi crispy aberration.
sick0020.gif

As someone who grew up near Leeds but now live darn sarf, I would say that fish and chips are better oop north....and that's including scraps :lesson:

Most of the best chips I have eaten have been in the North of England (although the Cornish have good chip game). The caveat to this is that you have to get to the chips before the barbarians let gravy near them.

Actually the fish & chip shop near to us here in sunny Barnet is fantastic. Apart from the take away section they have also got a restaurant which is usually full and it's always best to book especially on a saturday evening otherwise you have no chance. Even my parents-in-law have said they're exceptional. But unfortunately the fish (and to some extent the chips) have been pretty much grotty whenever we have bought them up in the Leeds area very close to Allwoodley where my parents-in-law live. The first chippy was just simply awful with the second one (where I got the scraps from) needed a really good squeeze in kitchen paper to get rid of all the superfluous oil.

There is another fish & chippy a little further away which we will try the next time when we are both up there (probably the next half term at February) as I work through Christmas. Wifey goes up to them at Xmas usually with our daughters who are both at their respective universities at the moment. If that chippy turns out to be as
sick0020.gif
as the previous two then I give up. Anyway back to AV... I think. :p

Last edited:
Under-utilised electronics? I hand-built a gaming PC with a not-cheap graphics card and serious amounts of RAM a few years ago. Partnered it with a lovely 22 inch gaming monitor. Now used for online banking and occasionally printing out Ryanair boarding passes for my mother-in-law.

Gaming shifted to the PS4 which in turn is now almost exclusively used for my wife to watch Outlander.

It’s got to the point now where if I can’t do something on my phone, it’s a real inconvenience.

Most of the best chips I have eaten have been in the North of England (although the Cornish have good chip game). The caveat to this is that you have to get to the chips before the barbarians let gravy near them.

Thanks gents for this week's edition, you remain my go to podcast for lifestyle tips.

Ed - You have clearly not tried chips with curry sauce along with a greasy chinese spring roll after 10 pints of Newcastle Exhibition. These were key elements of a night out in my student days in the North East.

Ed - You have clearly not tried chips with curry sauce along with a greasy chinese spring roll after 10 pints of Newcastle Exhibition. These were key elements of a night out in my student days in the North East.

Odd to relate, my local Chinese takeaway isn't terribly good except that they do chips fried in sesame oil that you can have dusted in szechuan pepper. They're really very moreish indeed.

Thanks for the AV and cooked chicken update chaps.

Unless I missed it, I didn’t catch what the best digital products (under / over 1,000GBP) actually are? I was just left thinking that they are digital. Maybe they are watches?

Apologies if I simply missed this.

All the best

MB

As someone who grew up near Leeds but now live darn sarf, I would say that fish and chips are better oop north....and that's including scraps :lesson:
As someone who has lived down south all my life but holidayed in Mablethorpe last year, I can confirm fish and chips are better in the north. I also remember scraps and a pickled onion fondly from my childhood!

Great podcast again, it was good to get some weird looks as I walked up to the gym. On the birthday front, I can confirm that a New Years Eve birthday is generally a total anti climax, determined by what other people want to do, sob sob!

Wolverhampton. The home of yellow chips and curry sauce.
Yow cor beat that aah kid s' be shooa ta visit them places araand abaat the wyrley and essington cut between Bentley bridge and bluxwich and dunt yow faget the dandeloian and berduck pop neither.

Yow cor beat that aah kid s' be shooa ta visit them places araand abaat the wyrley and essington cut between Bentley bridge and bluxwich and dunt yow faget the dandeloian and berduck pop neither.
arr bostin arr kid.

Chips fried in beef dripping (or lard at a pinch) are the food of gods.

Scraps and tar-like consistency gravy are mere garnish.

Blue Submarine in Dudley is our favourite when passing by.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom