Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
This week:

00:00:32 – It’s the penultimate podcast of 2017
00:13:40 – Current competitions
00:14:50 – Editor’s Choice Awards – Best Tech and Mobile of 2017
00:22:58 – Editor’s Choice Awards – Best Projectors of 2017
00:31:36 – Editor’s Choice Awards – Best AV Streaming Devices and Services of 2017
00:49:10 – What are our personal favourite products of the year?
00:55:14 – Favourite films of the year
01:03:11 – Favourite discs of the year
01:05:32 – Discs out this week
01:07:12 – Album and vinyl release of the year
01:08:31 – Favourite TV shows of the year
01:15:01 – Goodbyes

Presented by Phil Hinton with Steve Withers, Mark Hodgkinson, Ed Selley and Mark Botwright

Note:
If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Time: 01:16:08 | File Size: 102mb | Direct Link

Last edited:
You ever thought of doing an AVforums Podcast uncut version, just be interested to khow how much is taken out.

Last edited:
So the Scotsman & Englishman went to the cheapest place to eat in Vegas...shocker :)

Thanks for all of this years podcasts chaps, has kept me both informed and amused.

Tough year to pick out best tv/film (disc), Mindhunter & Snowfall floated my tv boat and while BR looked beautiful, as its been selected by many I'll go for Close Encounters UHD.

Cant believe GoT has been put back to 2019, that was news to me, but if it helps with budget concerns, I'm all for it.

Mark, you will be glad to hear the LG oleds have gone back up in price, so at least for the next 2 weeks, you shouldn't feel as bad. Joking aside, have to agree, WebOs is a joy and has pushed me to view more streamed content.
I take it when WebOs4.0 comes out, LG don't upgrade the previous years models?

I must say great pod cast.

While I tend to see your winners as more 'money no object' than 'best value', but still a great source of information.

I think you missed something with Hamond crash, they said it took 5 days to put out. It seams the future of electric cars could be total killed if they become the norm after crashing a electric car.

5 hours on the M5 waiting on the "smart motor" ealier this year was bad enough, all because the fire engine no longer can get to accidents , but 5 days now that would be a hole another ball game!

yes agree, i now know more about the tech known as Chili's than ever before :)
Yes the guys alway like to keep us up to date on all the hot topics.

Great podcast

Best film for me in cinema...Bladerunner 2049...if only Jared Leto wasn't in it. I liked Dunkirk but I found it didn't linger long in the memory
Best TV stranger things 2

I haven't seen Paddington 2 yet so things may change !

Great podcast, loved the chilli segment! Can't agree on the best phone though, the Note 8 trounces the Iphone X at a much lower price (in my biased opinion)

Great podcast, loved the chilli segment! Can't agree on the best phone though, the Note 8 trounces the Iphone X at a much lower price (in my biased opinion)
Agree , apple drag their design kicking and screaming into the modern smart phone era and get all the praise . complete joke imo but hey ho each to their own. Im not saying its a bad phone just nothing new.

During CES we’re going to need a thread specifically for “Photos Of Phil & Ed Doing A Cheesy Thumbs-Up In Front Of Mustangs”

I see that the Carolina Reaper you bought Ed was grown in the UK. I didn't realise that we could grow it here - wouldn't mind a dab at growing chillies.

It looks like another homegrown chilli named Dragon Breath (after the Welsh dragon) is currently getting verified as to whether it's the new hottest chilli in the world.

The brisket sounds lovely. :)

Great podcast as usual, I have enjoyed listening to your debates, reviews and discussion's all year. Thank you all and Merry Christmas.

Great podcast guys. Again.

Oh and Tidal now works on Apple Car Play. Not sure about Android version.

Best film? Yeah probably Dunkirk. However, I just don't think anything less than a projected image and huge sound system would do it justice. I didn't relax for almost the entirety of the film. Only the boat scenes with Mark Rylance gave you some time to breath. Even then the moment when....well you know

Now that could mean it's style over substance. But I don't know if that is the case. A film where I personally think it's only worth seeing in the cinema or home cinema where you get the big image and bigger sound? Does that mean it's not a great film when you cannot appreciate on a telly?

So to be greedy and cover all bases, I'd have to go for Paddington 2 also. Just a joy to watch, where naivety and innocence is so rarely believable (its an animated bear for crying out loud!) and doesn't make you want to be sick.

Great podcast, always look forward to it on the drive into work on a Monday morning.

My main takeaway this week - going to Tesco's to see if my local branch had any Carolina Reapers... they didn't. Most disappointing!

Totally agree on Spotify, its everywhere and works, also has great integration with Sonos systems if that's your thing.

Having just spent the last two hours laughing my fat arse off, I have to agree with Steve; The Hitman's Bodyguard is great fun! I really didn't expect it to be as funny and entertaining as it was, thoroughly enjoyed it.

You guys missed some great Netflix shows in your favourites segment. For my money Godless is the best show Netflix have made so far, it's absolutely tremendous. Ozark, Narcos, Lemony Snicket, Black Mirror, Star Trek Discovery, The Crown, and El Chapo are also real Netflix standout this year. I hear Dark is great too, but I've yet to get to it.

As for best phone, this could end up as some sort of schoolyard Spectrum vs C64 type battle. I went for the iPhone X this year as it ticked all the boxes for me - dual camera, OLED screen, no bezels, great build quality, and the fastest CPU and GPU ever put into a telephone. The benchmarks are insane on this thing, it's twice as fast as any android device. But then it costs as much as a small car, so it had better be high end.

You guys missed some great Netflix shows in your favourites segment. For my money Godless is the best show Netflix have made so far, it's absolutely tremendous. Ozark, Narcos, Lemony Snicket, Black Mirror, Star Trek Discovery, The Crown, and El Chapo are also real Netflix standout this year. I hear Dark is great too, but I've yet to get to it.

As for best phone, this could end up as some sort of schoolyard Spectrum vs C64 type battle. I went for the iPhone X this year as it ticked all the boxes for me - dual camera, OLED screen, no bezels, great build quality, and the fastest CPU and GPU ever put into a telephone. The benchmarks are insane on this thing, it's twice as fast as any android device. But then it costs as much as a small car, so it had better be high end.
There's just too much good stuff on Netflix these days but a friend was recommending Godless to me just this week, so I'll check it out over Christmas.

Thanks for a very informative podcast this week.

My last experience of a Carolina Reaper was many years ago when we rubbed one on a drunken friend's hands as he slept on a sofa. On waking up he went to the toilet and the shriek he made still haunts me to this day!:eek::eek:

Thought Steve's favourite TV show of the year would be Naked Attraction on Channel 4.

Can't agree on the best phone though, the Note 8 trounces the Iphone X at a much lower price (in my biased opinion)
Nah. The S8. Everything the X does at half the price, with a microSD card slot, more waterproof, more wireless charging compatability, and still has a headphone socket.

Best film at the cinema. Dunkirk.
Best UHD. Blade Runner. Though I did enjoy Baby Driver.
Best TV Game of Thrones.

Nah. The S8. Everything the X does at half the price, with a microSD card slot, more waterproof, more wireless charging compatability, and still has a headphone socket.

Not really. The X has two cameras on the back, so you get a real zoom lens as well as the combination of software and hardware trickery to create shallow depth of field.

Plus when it comes to performance, and you can check the benchmarks if you like, the X obliterates every Android phone ever made. It's literally twice as fast. Apple's CPU and GPU performance lead seems unassailable at this point. They're simply in a different league.

Not really. The X has two cameras on the back, so you get a real zoom lens as well as the combination of software and hardware trickery to create shallow depth of field.
Ok you'd need a Note 8 or S9 for the dual lens camera. However, the S8 has a great camera and is half the price. To the extent I have three dedicated cameras but rarely use them now.

And has all the other advantages I listed that the X doesn't.
Plus when it comes to performance, and you can check the benchmarks if you like, the X obliterates every Android phone ever made. It's literally twice as fast. Apple's CPU and GPU performance lead seems unassailable at this point. They're simply in a different league.
Certainly in a different league with pricing. I'd be scared to use a thousand pound phone. What if I dropped it? Lost it? Damaged it?

As for benchmarks, so what? Does it mean I make calls twice as fast? Music plays quicker? Video?

I'm not going to do 3D rendering on a phone. I've never used my phone and thought "this is slow."

I suppose gaming might use the processor but I wouldn't play AAA games on a tiny screen.

So great if it's faster but I'm not sure it's needed or worth the price. If you have a grand and want performance, get a laptop.

S8 also has a better display with more pixels, more PPI, and more nits.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom