AVForums Podcast: Episode 206 - 22nd January 2018

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
This week:

00:00:42 – We’re back!
00:08:50 – Current competitions
00:09:56 – CES 2018 – Samsung showcase new technology but when’s it coming?
00:20:43 – CES 2018 – LG consolidate their OLED TVs and give us a glimpse of the future
00:37:34 – CES 2018 – Sony reduce TV line-up and mess up Dolby Vision roll-out
00:50:11 – CES 2018 – More Chinese manufacturers to come to the UK this year
00:51:16 – CES 2018 – Ed rounds up the audio side of the show
01:01:48 – Films opening this week – Downsizing, Early Man, 12 Strong and Maze Runner: The Death Cure
01:03:29 – Disc releases – Wind River, The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes and Mother!
01:06:18 – RIP Peter Wyngarde
01:08:12 – Goodbyes

Presented by Phil Hinton with Steve Withers, Mark Hodgkinson and Ed Selley

Note:
If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Time: 01:09:13 | File Size: 102mb | Direct Link

Nice coverage of the latest Dolby Vision fiasco. Its introduction has certainly not been plain sailing!

While I absolutely agree about the criticism of Sony, I do feel that criticism of LG is warranted too. Even after all the time since Dolby Vision came to LG sets, there is still not a fully working version due to raised black levels (which forces some owners to watch the HDR10 version).

While I understand that a fix will be coming to LG TVs, it has still not arrived and it remains to be see which manufacturer will end up with a fully-working version of Dolby Vision first.

Where is the spoiler ripping to shreds review of The Last Jedi? I was looking forward to that! I guess the Aussie Flu stopped you from rewatching it in Dolby Cinema while in Vegas?

Where is the spoiler ripping to shreds review of The Last Jedi? I was looking forward to that!
I think we all just want to move on now. I know I am trying hard to forget it ever happened. ;)
We saw Jumanji at the Dolby Cinema. Now that was a fun movie and experience. ;)

Happy New Year lads, good to have the pod back!

It’s good to see LG still tweaking, I like the sound of the new features, especially Auto Calman.
If MicroLed does come out, as you mention, will be interesting to see how LG react as it certainly has my attention.

I read physical media has taken a dive in 2017 and now we know why, Steve has stopped buying UHD’s even if they have an Atmos soundtrack!
Out of interest Steve, are you finding Apple TV has changed you UHD physical disc spending? Haven’t bought one yet, but their 4K prices are winking at me.

If anyone is looking for something decent to watch, I see Quarry is back on SKY Now, it’s a great one off series (from the writer of Road to Perdition) for those of us that didn’t manage to win the AVF copy last year.
As for Netflix, Duncan Jones Mute will hopefully be decent along with Altered Carbon coming next month.

Last edited:
I hope you have a rethink about a spoiler discussion of TLJ. I think a lot of members would appreciate whether your views reflect our own, and I think it's been long enough to have a little introspection and criticise in a fair way.

I hope you have a rethink about a spoiler discussion of TLJ. I think a lot of members would appreciate whether your views reflect our own, and I think it's been long enough to have a little introspection and criticise in a fair way.

Maybe make it a recorded conference call and get AVF members to dial in with their objective thoughts ?? :)

yes i was looking forward to the open discussion about TLJ as promised @Phil Hinton :rotfl:

Ah, back to normal. Back you hearing you guys every week.

As said in the desert video, it was a showcase CES this year.

But I will defend LG with Steve on this years releases. Sure they are not mind blowing, but LG have sunk billions into OLED. While I read the 7's have issues, they are also the best OLED's yet. Making super duper TV's every year on limited tech is very difficult, very expensive and not really possible. They can fix the problems, but as with any TV tech, inherent issues are nigh on impossible to overcome and certainly not in 12 months.

They also need to recoup their investment. It's like Disney and Star Wars. Leaving aside peoples thoughts on the films, LG do need to play it safe for a couple of years when the OLED is doing so well.

The prices drops show they are making some money, but big yearly updates are not best practice when people are being asked to drop thousands of pound on a TV. There are enough customers waiting for a better TV, anyway. Knowing for sure that will happen every year sales would suffer. Besides, how can you complain at LG when Sony have continued a flagship TV for 3 years!.

So talking of Star Wars, yeah I can see the chances of getting a spoiler podcast have vanished along with any enthusiasm you guys have for the future of the franchise. I just dont get the foaming rage against TLJ, but you clearly hated it to its very core so TBO I wouldn't want to hear a podcast with relentless bashing of a film.

But it's lovely to hear you guys again, and look forward to see how good 2500+nits and possibly 1000+ dimming zones of LED can make an LCD TV look.

Thanks gents for this week's edition which was extremely interesting - in particular your thoughts on this year's incremental developments and the issues surrounding the installation of Dolby Vision.

I will hazard a guess that Sony have extended the life of the ZD9 and limited the introduction of new LCD models as they will go big with 8K and HDMI 2.1 in 2019 ( along with other manufacturers ). The Olympics in Japan in 2020 will provide the ideal opportunity to showcase the technology.

Definitely need a TLJ rant podcast, possibly the worst debacle of a film franchise......they couldn't have totally *&%^%^ it up anymore than they did.....As AVID Star Wars Fans you owe it to the listeners to follow up and put it to rest

I think of TLJ as the WTF film as I lost count of how many times I thought WTF ......not in a good way....while I was watching it

OK, TLJ is on the running order.
I can only guess to the bloodbath this will be. Kinda like Remember When podcast royal dressing down of Matrix 2 and 3.

Just wondered if there was any mention of HFR at CES this year? Seems to have gone quiet on that front.

Just wondered if there was any mention of HFR at CES this year? Seems to have gone quiet on that front.
Not really because without HDMI 2.1 none of this year's TVs can support HFR over HDMI. Only LG made a point of mentioning that their TVs can support HFR, although not over HDMI of course.

Not really because without HDMI 2.1 none of this year's TVs can support HFR over HDMI. Only LG made a point of mentioning that their TVs can support HFR, although not over HDMI of course.

Very true. Quite happy as I don’t want my 65” C7 to become obsolete.

in reference to "gods speed" "comment from TLJ

@Phil Hinton it was also pointed out to me in the last jedi thread, that god has been mentioned in a star wars movie indirectly... it was mentioned in return of the jedi, when the ewoks thought c3po was a deity..so in some form gods do exist to some species in the star wars universe. although it did sound out of place to me in TLJ

Great to see that like the grand tour team you are adjusting to your audience's wants and needs.
Can't wait !

I think it is a great year for TV’s with huge Performance improvements that pushes both LED and OLED to deliver better quality pictures.

Very surprised at the patience Samsung have shown, with first sight of MLED. Perhaps 2019 will be the year of MLED TV’s for consumers.

Also significant progress in TV Calibration software from Calman and Panasonic.

Excellent Youtube Videos and show coverage from Phil, Steve and Ed.

What Beer was Ed drinking in the Car?

Last edited:
I'm actually holding out for Micro LED. I was about to go OLED but my panasonic dx902 is still a great TV, and MLED really excited me and is going to be a big improvement over OLED by all accounts. So I'd end up getting it anyway. 2 years, or 5 years. I'll wait.

It would be fantastic if LG could apply that new de-contouring feature to our 2017 LG OLED. HOWEVER they have commercial reason not to offer it as it would de value the 2018 models due to less differentiation. Plus, perhaps it is not physically possible due to hardware/chip incompatibility.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom