AVForums Podcast: Episode 208 - 5th February 2018

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
This week:

00:00:20 – We celebrate Groundhog Day and Phil breaks the first rule and talks about Cake Club
00:06:40 – Current competitions
00:07:24 – Get a case of eight craft beers for free www.beer52.com/avf
00:14:17 – Sky adds Dolby Atmos to more content Sky Q and Sky Store
00:26:42 – Steve thoughts on the Epson EH-LS100 Ultra Short Throw Laser Projector
00:37:52 – Ed and Steve look forward to the Bristol Sound & Vision Show
00:50:55 – Films opening this week – The 15:17 to Paris
00:53:14 – Disc releases – Blade Runner 2049, Groundhog Day, Flatliners and Batman: Gotham by Gaslight
00:58:50 – Just how much trouble is Solo: A Star Wars Story in?
01:04:27 – Which films are we looking forward to in 2018?
01:12:42 – Goodbyes

Presented by Phil Hinton with Steve Withers and Ed Selley

Note:
If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Time: 01:13:33 | File Size: 101mb | Direct Link

Last edited:
Fantastic podcast gents. Lucky to live in a timezone where I listen to the podcast on a Monday afternoon after the Superbowl which was indeed a super game.

Solo sounds like a dog's breakfast; let's see if Richie Cunningham can save the film. Love the Chinese film title. The trailer is now on YouTube.

I owe Steve a humble apology for last week comment; I relistened to podcast and didn't hear anything derogatory.

Cheers Gents.

Thanks lads.

You mention the streaming services exploding this year - timely response, JJ Abrams The Cloverfield Paradox goes straight to Netflix today, no trailer, nothing, straight to your home instead of the cinema.
The film itself could be a pile of.. of course, but still, if the trend keeps up, maybe Dolby Vision style cinemas will make it to the UK to offer something different to entice you out.

Portion control is difficult. I went from running several marathons per year (and all the training associated with it) to a couple of 10 mile runs per week (as kids take up all my time) but still eat the same quantity of food. Its all healthy, but could keep the average Joe going for a few days, its very difficult to reduce the amount when you body expects it.
Good luck with the new cooking/way of life, benefits more then just the waistline!

If you want to lose weight (very) quickly Phil try what I did on the 1st of May 2016 and I can guarantee you at least a one and half stone loss in around four weeks. There's no milky shake type drinks to consume, low calorie biccies or even exercise. o_O What you do is have a heart attack get a stent fitted followed by a triple heart bypass... It don't 'alf work quick, of course the other way as Steve said is to pop your clogs, but I didn't fancy that option. :) Nice poddy as usual guys keep well, lots of :love: LT. ;)

Last edited:
Fantastic podcast gents. Lucky to live in a timezone where I listen to the podcast on a Monday afternoon after the Superbowl which was indeed a super game.

Solo sounds like a dog's breakfast; let's see if Richie Cunningham can save the film. Love the Chinese film title. The trailer is now on YouTube.

I owe Steve a humble apology for last week comment; I relistened to podcast and didn't hear anything derogatory.

Cheers Gents.
Full trailer is now available: Solo: A Star Wars Story Trailer Finally Arrives

Regular 3x per week hard exercise and plenty of general activity and a complete mental shift long-term is required to lose and MAINTAIN weight loss.
Google IIFYM which is imo the best way to get what you want in a way you can SUSTAIN.

Me...age 47 over 15 stone ,40 inch waist
6 months later 12 stone 32 waist
18 month's later 11st 30 inch waist

Now aged 53 11st 30 inch waist....all year round, I eat out regularly and enjoy food....but never gain weight

It can be done

Quite interesting as usual, however Now TV is not yet 1080P but it will be coming later in the year.

Solo: Probably like Rouge One, a totally pointless exercise which was/will be an embarrassment to the Star Wars franchise. (Although for newbies it will probably be all right, but for those of us that were around at the beginning, totally naff)

The UHZ 65 comes in a £4999 and gets a recommended award in HCC, so look forward to an AVForum review which is always more in depth and informative.

Roll on the 12th

Bill

I think film quality is in real decline especially as a cinema going experience, very few memorable or truly entertaining films in 2017
Death of Stalin
THOR Ragnorok
Dunkirk
Bladerunner

Only films I can remember thinking about much afterwards for positive reasons.......
Of course TLJ was very memorable...but ahem lets not there!

You mentioned in your movies of 2018 section that Pixar hasn’t done anything original but you’re forgetting about the wonderful Coco - great little film that appeared to have escaped rather than gett8ng a decent release in the U.K. I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. Definitely one of their best ever.

Interesting that 2001 is getting another pressing. First saw this on a giant wrap around Cinerama screen which blew my mind. Had to get the VHS, then the DVD, then the BD, and now will have to get the 4K ! Hope they correct the woman announcer on the space station who sounded from the back of the cinema, which gave everyone a start when it was shown in the cinema in surround sound. On the BD it's not mixed the same. I believe it was shot in 70mm, not 65 as stated, but I may be wrong. I still have the magazine that I bought when I first watched it at the local Odeon in Cinerama. Fabulous !
Sorry guys, but Star Wars nonsense etc is best left to the kids channels, imo.

You mentioned in your movies of 2018 section that Pixar hasn’t done anything original but you’re forgetting about the wonderful Coco - great little film that appeared to have escaped rather than gett8ng a decent release in the U.K. I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. Definitely one of their best ever.
That's true, I completely forgot about Coco.

Interesting that 2001 is getting another pressing. First saw this on a giant wrap around Cinerama screen which blew my mind. Had to get the VHS, then the DVD, then the BD, and now will have to get the 4K ! Hope they correct the woman announcer on the space station who sounded from the back of the cinema, which gave everyone a start when it was shown in the cinema in surround sound. On the BD it's not mixed the same. I believe it was shot in 70mm, not 65 as stated, but I may be wrong. I still have the magazine that I bought when I first watched it at the local Odeon in Cinerama. Fabulous !
Sorry guys, but Star Wars nonsense etc is best left to the kids channels, imo.
It was shot on 65mm negative and projected on a 70mm print, the extra 5mm is for the four magnetic strips that hold the six-track audio.

Quite interesting as usual, however Now TV is not yet 1080P but it will be coming later in the year.

Solo: Probably like Rouge One, a totally pointless exercise which was/will be an embarrassment to the Star Wars franchise. (Although for newbies it will probably be all right, but for those of us that were around at the beginning, totally naff)

The UHZ 65 comes in a £4999 and gets a recommended award in HCC, so look forward to an AVForum review which is always more in depth and informative.

Roll on the 12th

Bill

Yes and they might decide to charge more for NOWTV it at the higher resolution.

much as I enjoyed Coco, the fact that the 'Book of Life' did something very similar and in many ways better a few years ago takes the edge off it a bit for me

much as I enjoyed Coco, the fact that the 'Book of Life' did something very similar and in many ways better a few years ago takes the edge off it a bit for me

Oh I thought Coco had much more emotive story. I blubbed like a baby at the end!

Thanks for this week's edition and I agree with your thoughts about the Bristol Show. I do think they should consider changing the name of the show in view of the lack of vision. I wish to change my speaker setup from 5.1 to 5.1.2 by using a pair of upfiring speakers. That may include a complete new set of speakers and I don't think this show will help based on past experiences. With regards to other shows, we always go to Grand Designs and the Homebuilding & Renovation show. There are always a number of companies with projector displays and home networking setups that would find a place at Bristol.
Good luck with the diet and don't forget cycling. You will be amazed at how it will improve your fitness levels etc.
Film recommendation for Phil - Three Billboards. Best film we have seen in a long time.

Thanks for a great podcast and good luck with the weight loss/lifestyle change.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom