AVForums Podcast: Episode 210 - 19th February 2018

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
This week:

00:00:37 – What have we been up to this week?
00:10:20 – Current competitions
00:11:40 – You can still get a case of eight craft beers for free
00:12:50 – Steve’s thoughts on the Panasonic European Convention
00:26:14 – Denon launch new flagship X8500 AV Amplifier
00:31:39 – Ed’s thoughts on the state of two-channel playback
00:44:04 – Steve reviews Black Panther and The Shape of Water
00:53:45 – Films opening this week – I, Tonya and Mute
00:56:57 – Disc releases – Geostorm, The Snowman and Brimstone
01:00:26 – What’s our favourite disaster movie?
01:09:25 – Goodbyes

Presented by Phil Hinton with Steve Withers and Ed Selley

Note:
If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Time: 01:10:13 | File Size: 100mb | Direct Link

Many thanks for another entertaining, informative and useful podcast.

With all the reviews, podcasts, YouTube videos, events and more, I don’t know how you find time for anything else. Credit to your hard work.

Yep another good podcast guys.

Do love the appeal of the Denon X8500. A fine one box 13 channel amp. That's pretty impressive and certainly useful for those whole want a simple solution to get great surround sound. If I'm ever in the position to convert my garage, something like this would certainly be considered.

In regard to Black Panther, I do think the press is a bit forgetful. Has everyone forgotten about the Blade Trilogy?! I do believe Mr Snipes is the same colour as our hero in Black Panther.

In regard to Black Panther, I do think the press is a bit forgetful. Has everyone forgotten about the Blade Trilogy?! I do believe Mr Snipes is the same colour as our hero in Black Panther.
Not the same. Hancock, Nick Fury etc were also black. This isn't the same thing.

Black Panther has a black cast and is set in a belivable fictional African nation. It's not just set in America or Europe with a few black actors.

Should you see Black Panther?

"Set in a vibrant African universe with an all-black cast"

Black Panther: The most radical Hollywood blockbuster ever?

He could have surrounded T’Challa with a white supporting cast, and had him battling monsters on American soil. But no. Coogler and his team had a more radical vision in mind – more radical, indeed, than that of any previous Hollywood studio blockbuster.

For a start, most of Black Panther is set in Wakanda, the hero’s African homeland. As an animated prologue tells us, Wakanda is built on a mountain of “vibranium”, a metal that has all sorts of fantastic properties I couldn’t quite understand. This metal has enabled the country to make huge technological leaps – although not much more huge, admittedly, than those made by Tony Stark and Bruce Banner elsewhere in the Marvel universe. Anyway, Wakanda hides its wonders from the rest of the world. As far as outsiders are concerned, the country is a poverty-stricken backwater populated by hut-dwelling goatherds. But, beneath a holographic dome, its capital city is actually an ultra-modern utopia in which sleek anti-grav vehicles zip between gleaming skyscrapers draped in lush greenery. Ask yourself: when was the last time any feature film, whether or not it was made by a Hollywood studio, posited that an African country might be the happiest, most prosperous and most scientifically advanced place on Earth?

Not the same. Hancock, Nick Fury etc were also black. This isn't the same thing.

Black Panther has a black cast and is set in a belivable fictional African nation. It's not just set in America or Europe with a few black actors.

Should you see Black Panther?

"Set in a vibrant African universe with an all-black cast"

Black Panther: The most radical Hollywood blockbuster ever?

He could have surrounded T’Challa with a white supporting cast, and had him battling monsters on American soil. But no. Coogler and his team had a more radical vision in mind – more radical, indeed, than that of any previous Hollywood studio blockbuster.

For a start, most of Black Panther is set in Wakanda, the hero’s African homeland. As an animated prologue tells us, Wakanda is built on a mountain of “vibranium”, a metal that has all sorts of fantastic properties I couldn’t quite understand. This metal has enabled the country to make huge technological leaps – although not much more huge, admittedly, than those made by Tony Stark and Bruce Banner elsewhere in the Marvel universe. Anyway, Wakanda hides its wonders from the rest of the world. As far as outsiders are concerned, the country is a poverty-stricken backwater populated by hut-dwelling goatherds. But, beneath a holographic dome, its capital city is actually an ultra-modern utopia in which sleek anti-grav vehicles zip between gleaming skyscrapers draped in lush greenery. Ask yourself: when was the last time any feature film, whether or not it was made by a Hollywood studio, posited that an African country might be the happiest, most prosperous and most scientifically advanced place on Earth?

Yes I know from top to bottom this is a huge deal and a lot more than just a black lead character. But many headlines are not. Inc Steve this is not the first Marvel film to feature a black superhero as LEADING role. His and many papers exact words

Also I didn’t mean it as a serious “Oi you, how dare you get something as serious as this wrong!”

I’d just watched Honest Trailers for Blade and they made the same point.

Sorry if twisted your pants. That wasn’t the intention. Jeez.

Yes I know from top to bottom this is a huge deal and a lot more than just a black lead character. But many headlines are not. Inc Steve this is not the first Marvel film to feature a black superhero as LEADING role. His and many papers exact words

Also I didn’t mean it as a serious “Oi you, how dare you get something as serious as this wrong!”

I’d just watched Honest Trailers for Blade and they made the same point.

Sorry if twisted your pants. That wasn’t the intention. Jeez.
Actually I did point out that this isn't the first black Marvel character to headline their own film, I specifically mentioned Blade, but this is the first of the MCU movies, although of course Luke Cage beat Black Panther to the punch, so to speak, on Marvel's Netflix shows. Speaking of Netflix, if you haven't seen it yet, Black Lightning is excellent and well worth checking out.

Interesting pod, as always. Still miffed that the Denon has ditched digital audio out sockets, but I'll get over it.
One disaster movie that may have been overlooked is "Melancholia" which has an interesting subtle theme suggesting that the imminent collision of a giant Planet with Earth is affecting certain individuals in rather odd ways - not in the way you might expect.. The final few moments of the film totally disregard the affects of gravity though ! An interesting watch, nevertheless. Quite spooky, in fact. ( The slo mo intro at the start is fantastic, btw..Check out the double shadows..)

Last edited:
@SteveWithers I had a similar experience with a PS4 controller. It got a bit easier with a few weeks of practice.

Personally, I think it is just nature's way of telling me I am more than mature enough to have children now, as any such could certainly kick my ass in games by the age of four.

8804eefee8afd4446569b84afbbeee6a.jpg

Actually I did point out that this isn't the first black Marvel character to headline their own film, I specifically mentioned Blade, but this is the first of the MCU movies, although of course Luke Cage beat Black Panther to the punch, so to speak, on Marvel's Netflix shows. Speaking of Netflix, if you haven't seen it yet, Black Lightning is excellent and well worth checking out.
Does Black Lightning require knowledge of the MCU? I have none lol, so Black Panther is perfect for me!

Does Black Lightning require knowledge of the MCU? I have none lol, so Black Panther is perfect for me!
Black Lightning is DC rather than Marvel but it's a stand alone series. Netflix add an episode a week every Tuesday and so far (four episodes in), I'm really enjoying it.

Black Lightning is DC rather than Marvel but it's a stand alone series. Netflix add an episode a week every Tuesday and so far (four episodes in), I'm really enjoying it.
LOL see no idea on comic books.

Disaster Movie? How could you forget another 90's classic? Independence Day. Way better than The Day After Tomorrow and 2012.

another top podcast makes Monday mornings fun,

I saw and really enjoyed Black Panther movie, great fun and good storyline

disaster movie? difficult to choose but Independence Day 1 (NOT 2!) nd Armageddon for me

Firstly, and most importantly, forgive my ignorance but what’s a Le Creuset Volcano Pan?

All this talk about classic Disaster movies and no love for “The Core”? o_O Just kidding, though like Black Panther it does have it’s own super metal - Unobtainium.
I do have to agree on the Poseidon Adventure - well overdue a rewatch on that one, and to my shame I don’t think I’ve seen Towering Inferno since I was far too young to appreciate (or even remember) it.
Another oddity I keep meaning to watch is “Seeking a Friend for the End of the World” - a great take on Disaster Movies in general based on the “what if Armageddon/Deep-Impact mission failed” and you knew the end was coming - Fancy a Gin Ed?
Coming soon is Hurricane Heist which I saw best described as Hard Rain meets Twister.

As for Netflix’s run of Original Content I am wondering if any of you have seen Wheelman? I’m yet to watch it myself but I’ve heard good things and it’s certainly on the (long) list and I’m looking forward to it.

Last edited:
All this talk about classic Disaster movies and no love for “The Core”? o_O Just kidding, though like Black Panther it does have it’s own super metal - Unobtainium.
it.

wasn't Unobtanium in Avatar?

Firstly, and most importantly, forgive my ignorance but what’s a Le Creuset Volcano Pan?

I do have to agree on the Poseidon Adventure - well overdue a rewatch on that one, and to my shame I don’t think I’ve seen Towering Inferno since I was far too young to appreciate (or even remember) it.
Another oddity I keep meaning to watch is “Seeking a Friend for the End of the World” - a great take on Disaster Movies in general based on the “what if Armageddon/Deep-Impact mission failed” and you knew the end was coming - Fancy a Gin Ed?
Coming soon is Hurricane Heist which I saw best described as Hard Rain meets Twister.

As for Netflix’s run of Original Content I am wondering if any of you have seen Wheelman? I’m yet to watch it myself but I’ve heard good things and it’s certainly on the (long) list and I’m looking forward to it.

https://www.lecreuset.co.uk/shop-by-colour/shopby/category_attribute-cookware/color-volcanic

Though which specific pan in the range Ed was referring to, I don't know. Possibly the 23cm skillet.

Thanks gents, albeit I thought I had " tuned in " to a daytime TV cooking show at first.

Sounds as though Steve had a more productive visit to Panasonic. Apologies if I missed it, but did they have any views on the ongoing DV debacle? When do LG release their prices and thus kick-start everyone else's announcements?

Though which specific pan in the range Ed was referring to, I don't know. Possibly the 23cm skillet.

That's the one- greatest egg cooking pan in the history of humanity. I think the 'cast iron' is a front though and it is actually made of Vibranium.

Can any discussion about disaster films really be complete without mention of Mick Jackson's nightmare Threads? It's just been given a really great treatment on blu-ray by Severin and well worth picking up. Even if you need tons of antidepressants to get through the film.

Another more recent disaster film, which is proper good, is The Wave about a landslide causing disaster in the fordes of Norway. The characters are just well rounded enough to put them about the usual disaster cliches and the action is brilliantly well done. The director's next film is the Tomb Raider reboot.

Apart from the pots and pans debacle a nice poddy as usual guys. :lesson: But see below. :)

Anyway onto my main thrust with regards to the new "Denon" 8500X amp. My main concern is the quality of its hi-fi stereo performance as I would consider that its surround sound capabilities are pretty much a given as it's a "Denon". My present AVC-A11XV(A) gives very high quality stereo reproduction and that was one of the main reasons I purchased it about twelve odd years ago and it got a cracking review in "Hi-Fi News on that section of the amp. But (obviously) I have no "Atmos" or "DTS:X" and it would also be preferable for me to get lossless sound via HDMI inputs / outputs as opposed to the eight analogue inputs on on my AVC11XV(A) via one of my BD players eight analogue outs. By the way what a waste of £550 smackers imo for the (A) upgrade on the 11XV from some years ago, plus the silly bu**ers managed to damage the casing as well as the two front control knobs as it was a hardware upgrade. At least I garnered a new casing and controls after I complained.... even so. :censored:

Size wise this new amp is virtually on par with the 11XV so that's not an issue plus it sits on top of one of my hi-fi racks. I'm in no rush to buy but I will be extremely interested in the various reviews over here in the UK. I understand that you will be reviewing it at some point Steve on its surround sound abilities but I would also want reviews on its straight hi-fi stereo reproduction from dedicated hi-fi stereo sites or stereo hi-fi audio only magazines. Apart from anything else to wait a little while usually means that it will either drop in price (a bit) or dealers will be more amenable to "do a deal" given that it will be retailing at around the £3k mark when it is released.

As regards to "THX" certification well that is no big deal now as has been discussed before on these forums. The 11XV has "THX" Ultra 2 certification but only operates on DVD's lossy sound anyway and not the external in / out that I am connected to for BD's lossless sound. Anyway I don't play that many DVD's now since BD's appeared. So here's looking forward very much to your review soon on this baby Steve. :smashin:

EXTRA, EXTRA POTS & PAN INFO :offtopic::lease:

Some months ago we bought a new set of non stick pots and pans which consisted of four pots (three with lids) and one large pan as they were on a 20% promotion at "Argos" plus we also had £45 quids worth of "Necter" points. So we ended up with a very good deal given their original non discounted price, and I have to say they are the best cookware we've ever had. They also came complete with a lifetime guarantee. The make is "Circulon" and the actual range is called "Momentum". Luv LT.... :love:

Last edited:
Can any discussion about disaster films really be complete without mention of Mick Jackson's nightmare Threads? It's just been given a really great treatment on blu-ray by Severin and well worth picking up. Even if you need tons of antidepressants to get through the film.

Another more recent disaster film, which is proper good, is The Wave about a landslide causing disaster in the fordes of Norway. The characters are just well rounded enough to put them about the usual disaster cliches and the action is brilliantly well done. The director's next film is the Tomb Raider reboot.

Threads was the single most depressing film experience of my life. It is unrelenting grim from beginning to end but it is brilliant and it was utterly terrifying when it was first broadcast.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom