Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
This week:

00:00:24 – We’re all snowed in!
00:08:10 – Current competitions
00:09:25 – Steve reviews the Denon AVC-X8500H AV Amplifier
00:21:24 – Phil’s first impressions of the BenQ W1700 4K projector
00:33:11 – Steve’s final thoughts on the Epson EH-LS100 ultra short throw laser projector
00:43:00 – Ed’s album, vinyl release and playlist of the month
00:49:27 – Films of the month
00:51:20 – Films opening this week – Gringo and Annihilation
00:56:49 – Discs of the month
01:04:07 – Disc releases – The Dark Crystal, Murder on the Orient Express, The Death of Stalin and Kickboxer: Retaliation
01:09:05 – Upcoming 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray disc releases
01:11:20 – TV shows of the month
01:29:07 – Goodbyes

Presented by Phil Hinton with Steve Withers, Ed Selley and Mark Botwright

Note:
If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Time: 01:29:52 | File Size: 130mb | Direct Link

@Phil Hinton I've just listened to the section of the podcast where Mr Withers talks about the wonderful (but tuner-less, sob!) Denon AVC-X8500H amplifier. Mr Hinton, I'm slightly surprised that you didn't remark (positively, or indeed at all) on the fact that this, like its predecessor the X7200WA, will probably be the Denon flagship for the next three years, since you had specifically bemoaned Yamaha's annual changes to their top receivers with not much difference between successive models in your very recent review of the Yamaha RX-A3070 receiver?

Newbie here, I'm not really Stanley Kubrick btw, or am I?..Many Thanks, enjoyed doing some work with fellow geeks in the background, good episode chaps.

@Phil Hinton I've just listened to the section of the podcast where Mr Withers talks about the wonderful (but tuner-less, sob!) Denon AVC-X8500H amplifier. Mr Hinton, I'm slightly surprised that you didn't remark (positively, or indeed at all) on the fact that this, like its predecessor the X7200WA, will probably be the Denon flagship for the next three years, since you had specifically bemoaned Yamaha's annual changes to their top receivers with not much difference between successive models in your very recent review of the Yamaha RX-A3070 receiver?
I thought we did address that topic in the podcast Ken and I certainly applaud Denon for this approach to their flagship products.

The drama about the release of Annihilation seems worth addressing. The film is a co-production with David Ellison's Skydance and Paramount. Ellison was not happy at the test screening responses signalling that the film was too dense and didn't have great commercial prospects. Asking for reshoots, Producer Scott Rudin (who has a few Oscars under his belt and a fair bit of commerical success with less than commercial material Like No Country for Old Men and The Social Network) and Alex Garland declined. Ellison has had a tough couple of years commercially with guff like Terminator Genesys not making much dosh and he thought a Netflix sale would be a swift way of having a risky film turn an instant profit and having one film in the black.

No doubt we'll see more of this in the future, but it does make you think that something like Arrival might have went to Netflix in todays climate of go for the safest way to turn a profit.

Thanks for this week's edition and it is pleasing to hear about Denon's approach to upgrading their X8500H. Perhaps a few other manufacturers could follow this example as it may stimulate sales rather than consumers holding back. Also easier to upgrade this way when trying to hoodwink the other half. Will listen to Ed's recommended album on Spotify tonight.
My viewing tip for this month is Save me on Sky Atlantic. We have already watched the first 4 episodes ( full box set available in UHD ) and it's a cracking series from a number of perspectives.

The drama about the release of Annihilation seems worth addressing. The film is a co-production with David Ellison's Skydance and Paramount. Ellison was not happy at the test screening responses signalling that the film was too dense and didn't have great commercial prospects. Asking for reshoots, Producer Scott Rudin (who has a few Oscars under his belt and a fair bit of commerical success with less than commercial material Like No Country for Old Men and The Social Network) and Alex Garland declined. Ellison has had a tough couple of years commercially with guff like Terminator Genesys not making much dosh and he thought a Netflix sale would be a swift way of having a risky film turn an instant profit and having one film in the black.

No doubt we'll see more of this in the future, but it does make you think that something like Arrival might have went to Netflix in todays climate of go for the safest way to turn a profit.

Apparently Ellison was concerned the movie was “too intellectual” and “too complicated”.

'Annihilation': Behind-the-Scenes of a Producer Clash and That Netflix Deal (Exclusive)

You must be listening to a different podcast as this longevity was mentioned a number of times during the conversation about it.

Bill

Goodly poddy guys (as usual) but my main interest on this particular edition is the "Denon" AVC-X8500H. As I have stated on the main 8500 thread the main reason I haven't upgraded from my twelve year plus AVC-11XV(A) is because I didn't want a tuner as I have a separate "Denon" DAB / FM / AM unit.... er plus not being able to work for around just under eight months in 2016 due to my heart health scare, and being self employed so there was also a pecuniary reason, but all is well now.
upload_2018-3-5_15-22-54.png

Anyway my reasoning for the above is that if the tuner section does a wobbly (rare I know) and if you want it repaired the whole amp has to go away and your stuffed, but if you have a separate tuner and it goes wrong then at least your amp stays whether you have the tuner repaired or decide to replace it with another unit. Apart from anything else the 11XV got a great write up on its hi-fi stereo reproduction and it was good to know that you Steve gave it the thumbs up. Nevertheless I will wait for other reviews on this section of the amp over the next few months before I go for it. There is a matter of some of the upgrades in as much that I would rather have an upgraded unit (or part upgraded) straight out of the box as opposed to sending the amp away. If you read one of my posts on the main 8500 thread you will understand why. In the meantime I look forward to the next podcast, ttfn LT. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
You must be listening to a different podcast as this longevity was mentioned a number of times during the conversation about it.

Bill
@Abacus Indeed, the longevity was mentioned twice during the podcast, this section of which I've just listened again in case my brain was half-asleep when I wrote my first post at 3.51 am! My small point is, I thought that Mr Hinton (to whom you'll note I addressed my first post) would say something like "Aha, a flagship product that lasts more than a year, unlike Yamaha who change their top products every year without much difference between the generations!", because Mr Hinton, in his review of the Yamaha RX-A3070, here Yamaha RX-A3070 9.2 AV Receiver Review, had said:

"However a new Receiver every year is something we think that needs to stop for the good of the industry and end users. The A3070 is hardly a huge step on from the A3050 released in 2015/16. This means that when compared side by side in terms of performance there is very little difference and what changes have been made, could have been added as an upgrade, rather than as a new product and all that entails. We would like to see a little more foresight from AVR manufacturers and products that have a shelf life of more than just a few months before the next identical all-singing and all-dancing model is released."

Hence I thought that Mr Hinton specifically, not Mr Withers, would have said: "This is the approach that I would like to see Yamaha take." or something similar.

But best wishes to you, and to Mr Hinton, and to Mr Withers.

I'm going to try to stop commenting on this terrific new Denon X8500H now, because the more I post on here, the more I think that I should be selling a kidney.

Last edited:
By the way Phil that car camcorder footage of the double decker bus being (expertly) driven by the bus driver to avoid a smash up with the car which I believe was attempting a uturn :rolleyes:... was driven by a woman and not a man. :lesson:

By the way Phil that car camcorder footage of the double decker bus being (expertly) driven by the bus driver to avoid a smash up with the car which I believe was attempting a uturn :rolleyes:... was driven by a woman and not a man. :lesson:
At 10am on Friday morning (when we recorded) that was not known. In fact her own husband also assumed it wasn't her until she saw the video and informed him that was in fact her driving. Very skillful.

Forgot in my original post (Touch of brain fade) but here is the Ti link for the chipsets used in the new Benq W1700 and Optoma UHD 50 projectors 4K UHD | Display and Projection | DLP | TI.com including a white paper, however the datasheets of the new chipsets are not yet available. (Don’t forget to check out the blogs as well for additional info)

Have fun

Bill

@Steve Withers and @Phil Hinton I forgot to say, many congratulations on AVForums being at least a European exclusive review of the Denon X8500H amplifier, and maybe even a world exclusive. That is a real coup for AVForums, getting hands on such a great product ahead of anyone else in Europe and probably ahead of American review sites:clap:.

Nice to hear about the Epson laser UST projector, sounds like it would be really useful to have the (arguably better specified) Xiaomi which is getting much interest also tested.

I have seen plenty of Horror movies, but I cannot watch "The Dark Crystal’. That Movie had Evil forces behind its creation and if you pay close attention, it is terrifying.

Thanks for another good listen.

Funny that two shows i really enjoy, i assumed i was the only one - Elementary and BBC's NFL coverage :thumbsup:.

Agreed the chemistry works really well on the NFL show / NFL this week. Osi O is absolutely hilarious, whilst both former players are both very knowledgeable and entertaining. I used to record the later Sunday game on C4 when they had it, as my weekly fix. Sadly i've had to give sky my money for 5 months of the season for the last couple of years.

Best

MB

Thought listeners would be interested in the attached link titled "How a TV Works in Slow Motion - The Slow Mo Guys". I know it's not relevant to this podcast, but there are so many other threads, I could not find the most appropriate place to share it.

I may be being very dim here, but is it possible to download the podcast via Spotify. Can't find it when I do a search? I'd just like to be able to download and listen in the car etc. Could someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks

I may be being very dim here, but is it possible to download the podcast via Spotify. Can't find it when I do a search? I'd just like to be able to download and listen in the car etc. Could someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks
We are not featured on Spotify yet, but the request has gone in. You could use the direct link above and save the file to your phone for use in the car.

Ref: Sherlock v Elementary.

Early on Elementary shows you how to find a panic room with a marble. Sherlock just got more up its arse with every episode.

Thanks
Yeah. Click on direct link and there's a drop down arrow. Click on that and it should download to the downloads folder on Windows.

Find the folder and sort by date and it will be at the top. Then drag and drop to whatever you want. USB stick, burn to disk, put on your phone etc.

Phil/Sonic67, thanks for the replies, I've managed to sort it now. I've dowloaded to my phone so can now listen while walking the dog or in the car:thumbsup:
Only slightly annoying thing is that if i pause play it reverts back to the beginning when I restart:mad:

Yeah. Click on direct link and there's a drop down arrow. Click on that and it should download to the downloads folder on Windows.

Find the folder and sort by date and it will be at the top. Then drag and drop to whatever you want. USB stick, burn to disk, put on your phone etc.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom