Reaction score
This week:

00:00:25 – RIP Stephen Hawking, Ken Dodd and Jim Bowen
00:11:38 – Current competitions
00:14:23 – Steve gives us his thoughts on the Royole Moon mobile home cinema
00:26:53 – Shock news – Ed has bought an LG 55 B7 OLED TV
00:37:58 – In more shock news – Ed is about to review a NAD AV receiver
00:50:10 – Steve experiences cinematic excellence thanks to Arcam
01:00:10 – What did Phil and Steve think of Annihilation?
01:09:15 – Films opening this week – A Wrinkle in Time and Pacific Rim: Uprising
01:13:48 – Disc releases – Daddy’s Home 2, Film Stars Don’t Die in Liverpool, Logan’s Run and The Age of Innocence
01:16:36 – Upcoming 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray disc releases
01:18:12 – Goodbyes

Presented by Phil Hinton with Steve Withers, Mark Hodgkinson and Ed Selley

Note:
If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Time: 01:18:58 | File Size: 113mb | Direct Link

Again thank you for all the time and effort this must take guys! Great chemistry. Regarding the worth of electronic goods section, I actually gave a Panasonic 65'' plasma away a few weeks back. It cost £4500 new..Maybe do a retrospect, is new actually better? Mark will know being a stereo guy like myself, that new is not always a guarantee of better. I still have a Pioneer 506 (720p) and the picture still kicks a@£! especially in the motion department, also a few bits of stereo equipment that I own, celebrate their 40 birthday this year, and they still sound amazing.

Last edited:
Iiiiiiiiiiin one

Look at what you could uv won

Look at what you could uv won
Possibly the most cruel words ever said on tv!

V funny podcast, on top form today made me laugh out loud on the train to work.

Here's a tongue twister I saw on a wall years ago...try saying it over and over again quickly

KEN DODDS, DAD'S DOG'S DEAD

Great podcast guys. Glad we have a pic of Bully and not a woolly tent in the drivers seat!

Very interesting points on the AV receivers inputs, I have never used anything other than hdmi and that's going back over the last 8 years, would love to seem them dropped too as we are paying for something we will/may never use.

Can't wait to see Gladiator / Braveheart on UHD, (nice to see we are getting the extended cuts too of Gladiator).

Good shout on Sunshine, great film!

Good interesting content as usual but could you consider adding the above chapter information in the actual file?

Maybe I don't want any sort of spoilers in some movie you guys start to talk about... Maybe I just want to go back to some episode and hear again what you had to say about some specific subject...

You guys post the time slots here in the forum, may I suggest you include it in the file so we can tap on chapters?

Good interesting content as usual but could you consider adding the above chapter information in the actual file?

Maybe I don't want any sort of spoilers in some movie you guys start to talk about... Maybe I just want to go back to some episode and hear again what you had to say about some specific subject...

You guys post the time slots here in the forum, may I suggest you include it in the file so we can tap on chapters?
We can't in the file, but if you listen on Youtube you can jump to chapters there.

Hi Phil, I listen to podcasts when I commute so Offline/iPhone/Pocket Cast app is my preferred method. The app gathers the many podcasts I follow and most of them include chapter information. I hope you manage to overcome whatever technical issue and consider this as an improvement to the listening experience.

Quick correction, from my personal experience. Phil said "you can't go wrong with a B7". Well... you can. My B7 developed a fault, which wouldn't have been the end of the world of LG support had behaved properly. Instead they resisted for a good 4 months, refusing to admit there was any fault, and being thoroughly rude and aggressive throughout. In the end they simply refused to repair my TV.

The fault was that the WiFi had completly died. LG's stance is that WiFi speed is down to the ISP, not the TV. That all my other WiFi devices worked fine was of no interest them.

I guess you get what you pay for. LG products are comparatively cheap and the hidden price you pay for that is by far the worst customer service around. The warranty the TV comes with is utterly worthless, so if you buy one know that going in. I'll never buy an LG product again.

@Kotatsu Neko seek legal advice, if you give up then they win every time. I have a B7 and I don't think I've been so nervous of a television in my life, it's almost like owning a Ferrari, it's the best, but you know it's going to screw you over.

Damn it is going to be an expensive May for UHD's. All purchases for me.

Private Ryan with an Atmos soundtrack!!! Whoa baby.
Jurassic Park (1 at least)
Braveheart (preposterous but fun)
Gladiator (see above)
Die Hard (see above lol )
Matrix One. (there is only one) and Atmos too?!

WOW.

Also The Matrix DVD did wonders for PS2 sales I believe. And certainly vice versa.

Would love to experience Arcam's Cinema Excellence. All the cinema you need without the public and only people who respect the cinema experience. Super.

Im with everyone on Pacific Rim sequel. Another case of lets ignore the good stuff and ramp up the noisy stuff. Who are these people that make these decisions?!?!

Great podcast as always guys, helps get me through my Monday morning commute!

Steve, interesting to hear about the Arcam set up you got to hear, I may have missed it but what make of speakers where they using in the surround set up?

Had to laugh at the delivery guy hearing about the podcast, your definitely going to have to tip him next year now!

Again thank you for all the time and effort this must take guys! Great chemistry. Regarding the worth of electronic goods section, I actually gave a Panasonic 65'' plasma away a few weeks back. It cost £4500 new..Maybe do a retrospect, is new actually better? Mark will know being a stereo guy like myself, that new is not always a guarantee of better. I still have a Pioneer 506 (720p) and the picture still kicks a@£! especially in the motion department, also a few bits of stereo equipment that I own, celebrate their 40 birthday this year, and they still sound amazing.

Agreed, i’ve still got my trusty old Pioneer 436 doing a great job in my spare room here [emoji1303]

Agreed, i’ve still got my trusty old Pioneer 436 doing a great job in my spare room here [emoji1303]

My Kuro LX5090 is in the bedroom. Does a great job......of heating the room in these cold months.

Great podcast gents.

Some very good points raised by Ed on depreciation of some AV equipment! Most of the items we purchase have a huge drop in value after a short space of time. The second hard market for equipment such as speakers can offer great value.

Yamaha's policy of incremental updates to AV receivers seems to flow to their sportsbikes; a few grams saved here and there and a smattering of extra horsepower amounts to a new model.

Cheers.

Quick correction, from my personal experience. Phil said "you can't go wrong with a B7". Well... you can. My B7 developed a fault, which wouldn't have been the end of the world of LG support had behaved properly. Instead they resisted for a good 4 months, refusing to admit there was any fault, and being thoroughly rude and aggressive throughout. In the end they simply refused to repair my TV.

The fault was that the WiFi had completly died. LG's stance is that WiFi speed is down to the ISP, not the TV. That all my other WiFi devices worked fine was of no interest them.

Sorry if obvious and you have done this, but if you used a credit card, speak to your credit card company. There's extra protection when you use a credit card, which a lot of folks don't know about and i've found them to be helpful in the past. Nothing to loose.

MB

I'm still on my
My Kuro LX5090 is in the bedroom. Does a great job......of heating the room in these cold months.
Still got my trusty 600a KRP as my main TV, and yet to find a truly compelling reason to replace it.

My old Panasonic TH60 is still doing Stirling work in the bedroom ooeer missus!
who remembers the PURPLE SNAKES! Issues?
It's never had them and still going strong

Sorry if obvious and you have done this, but if you used a credit card, speak to your credit card company. There's extra protection when you use a credit card, which a lot of folks don't know about and i've found them to be helpful in the past. Nothing to loose.

MB

It's been a while, 8 months or so, but as you say, I have nothing to lose. I'll drop them a line. Thanks.

Thanks gents for this week's ramble/rant/podcast. Totally agree with the debate around the value of older A/V equipment. I have thought about selling various separates and AVRs in the loft. My research on a well known online auction site for similar products and their prices has been demoralising. Next option may be Cash Converters.

With regards to legacy connections, how about an AVF survey and you discuss the results/comments with your industry contacts? I would suggest there are no more than two sets of legacy connections ( labelled aux 1 & 2 ) which you then rename in the settings. I would like the spare space to be used by placing the speaker posts further apart so that you can remove banana connections a lot easier.

Last edited:
Thanks for another fun and informative Podcast.

Annihilation looked fantastic in DOLBYVISION and delved into interesting Arthur C Clark like concepts. Not a movie for the unintelligent.

I think there are many Netflix created Movies that are better than so much of the crap that makes its way to the Big Screen. Such as ‘Mute’ and ‘The Circle’. Equally there are so many Netflix Movies which are dull and uninspiring nonsense.

The Matrix trilogy is the film series that I've purchased the most. I have brought all three films on :
  • VHS
  • DVD
  • HD-DVD
  • BluRay
Needless to say, I'll be dropping another £25 on the UHD :)

799AB693-958F-4F64-BA66-A6655A03B35D.jpeg

Note the Diddy Men were kids in costume at the live shows, puppets on the TV. So they were "real" or not.

Through a combination of circumstances, I've only just listened to this podcast, sorry.

@Phil Hinton Big love at 36:50 minutes :clap: for mentioning Yamaha's policy of rather needlessly replacing receivers every year, with only small improvements from one model to the next. Yes, Denon is much better, with the flagship receivers lasting three years. But Mr Selley mentioned that hi-fi stuff holds its value for longer than AV stuff. Maybe that can be qualified to acknowledge that loudspeakers, whether used for hi-fi or for AV, and subwoofers, are usually not replaced every year. Often a loudspeaker model will run for maybe four years? Consider for instance the SVS PC13-Ultra subwoofer. The 750W Bash amplifier model was released in 2007 I think, then it was replaced by the 100W Sledge version in about 2012, and only this year has it been supplanted by the PC-4000 model. Perhaps I could quote from the Digital Copy commentary feature on page 79 of Issue 284, April 2018, of Home Cinema Choice (printed) magazine, in which the Editor mentions Paul Miller of Hi-Fi News & Record Review commenting on the vast difference between the evolution of h-fi and AV. Mr Miller's point was, in a nutshell, that while a set of 20-year-old loudspeakers could still perform admirably in a modern hi-fi system, no one would want a 20-year-old television or projector anywhere near their home cinema.

@Steve Withers The discussion starting at 38:25 minutes about the bother involved in disconnecting Mr Selley's Yamaha RX-A3040 receiver partly explains why I've not stirred myself into disconnecting my Denon AVR-4810 and installing the Denon AVR-X7200WA, which has now been languishing in the hall for 361 days ......

@Phil Hinton and @Steve Withers In the chat at 43:30 minutes regarding legacy connections, I was hoping to hear mention of 7.1 analogue inputs on AV receivers and amplifiers. The top Denon and Marantz receivers still have 7.1 inputs, but I notice that the top Yamaha receivers have not had them for at least two generations now. All my present and future Blu-ray players and receivers will have 7.1 analogue connections, even though in truth I don't use them very often at all, maybe once a year ...

@Phil Hinton At 30:19 minutes, you said of your current 65" television in the corner that you want bigger. Well, the next time that you return to Scotland, do pop over from Glasgow to Edinburgh, and you would be welcome to see some slightly bigger televisions, and not in the corner, but proudly centre stage! And if you make it after 26th April, you'll be able to look at a very modern Sony FALD set, which will have been freshly calibrated by a top man!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom