AVForums Podcast: Episode 222 - 28th May 2018

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
This week:

00:00:25 – Phil's Man of the Year 2018, Ed's touring, Steve meets his fans and Mark learns pottery
00:13:00 – Current competitions
00:14:32 – Phil previews the Sony AF8 OLED TV
00:20:30 – Steve reviews the Sony X700 4K Blu-ray player
00:34:02 – Ed's album, playlist and vinyl of the month
00:41:28 – Steve and Phil review Solo: A Star Wars Story
00:54:47 – Films of the month
00:58:01 – Films opening this week at the cinema
00:59:50 – Discs of the month
01:06:01 – Discs released this week
01:10:32 – TV shows of the month and our recommendations
01:21:21 – Goodbyes

Presented by Phil Hinton with Steve Withers, Mark Botwright and Ed Selley

Note:
If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Time: 01:22:06 | File Size: 118mb | Direct Link

8E63E207-D17E-4292-8E4E-8250E4DC08F7.jpeg

Great show guys, congrats to the man of the year!

Sony dropping another ball on Dolby Vision is yet another black mark in the book. Looking forward to LG or Samsung swallowing up their CE business.

Attached pic is the storyboard for Ed’s dream Star Wars movie

Thanks guys! Great podcast again.
Can you let us know if the LG player supports Sony’s version of DV? Am looking for a DV player and was looking at the X700, but it looks a bit cheap!

Can you let us know if the LG player supports Sony’s version of DV? Am looking for a DV player and was looking at the X700, but it looks a bit cheap!
No, it arrived on Friday not long after the podcast recording and I tried it with the AF8. It's HDR10 only at the moment. It looks like it's the same with the Apple 4K TV box. It shows Vision in Netflix on the show info page on the Apple, but on playback it doesn't go into the Dolby Vision picture mode. Need to do some more testing this week. The only DV that appears to be working is the inbuilt Netflix app, which is very poor in the blacks with lots of macro blocking in the shadows.

Great podcast, had me in stitches from the poetry comments >... in the Navy, you can sail the seven seas, in the Navy...

Will be interested to see what DV adds on disc, and if its worth upgrading the UHD player to support it, have been impressed with DV on Netflix so far.

Have to agree, been an expensive month in the UHD disc world, cannot believe they are not releasing Braveheart in the UK, the blu looked stunning, so think I'll have to import..

I recon Ed could be tempted to use a motorised pottery thing if it was connected through a mains conditioner.

The only DV that appears to be working is the inbuilt Netflix app, which is very poor in the blacks with lots of macro blocking in the shadows.

Don't issues like this, and the LG issues with blacks, DV selective licensing, the ongoing Sony debacle, pretty much make a case for DV being a massive let-down. I thought the whole point was to faithfully render the content to the optimum capabilities of the display. This appears to not be the case more and more, with seemingly manufacturers to blame, but wasn't that supposed to be the point of the licensing and standards?

No, it arrived on Friday not long after the podcast recording and I tried it with the AF8. It's HDR10 only at the moment. It looks like it's the same with the Apple 4K TV box. It shows Vision in Netflix on the show info page on the Apple, but on playback it doesn't go into the Dolby Vision picture mode. Need to do some more testing this week. The only DV that appears to be working is the inbuilt Netflix app, which is very poor in the blacks with lots of macro blocking in the shadows.

Thanks, looks like the X700 it is. Will wait for the firmware update to land first though. One bitten twice shy!

The Toys That Made Us is an excellent series, I watched the whole of series 1 when that was out and am working my way through 2. Even if you didn't play with some of the toys it's really interesting to see the story of how the toys came to market and how they developed.

Also loved The Matrix on 4K. Looks superb, HDR really makes it pop and am really happy with the colour treatment too. It's mainly super detailed too, and only some of the VFX shots looking occasionally soft. I'm not a fan of grain, but it looks really natural in this release. Great disc. (And I didn't see any elevated black levels either)

Great podcast again

Great podcast as always. The toys that made us is a great series, really interesting episodes.
I haven't seen the "hello kitty" episode yet though. If you enjoyed "Evil Genius" on netflix the you would probably enjoy Real detective. It a series where they interview the detectives that catch a murder case and what they go through to solve it. There are one or two bigger names that play the lead role.
As for the 3 Mifi hub, it is a really good bit of kit. But I would keep a close eye on your usage as I got one for my son while it was at college and he went over the data limit. Which led to me being charged about £125 for a month !
When I called them they said that I had not asked for a cap on the limit but I was told instore that it would just stop. So they gave me my money back in the end and reduced the monthly cost by a pound also.

Excellent podcast as usual, very enjoyable. One small issue though, the sound seemed a bit off. Phill was much louder than everyone else… anyone else notice this?

I did notice Steve getting very quiet at times

Finally saw Solo, was squinting to see anything, it was so dark. The first movie that needs to be watched on an HDR TV?

At my last home, I too used 4G broadband as my primary source of internet. Landline speeds were quoted as 0.5 mb/s. With 4G, I got 50 MB/s.

Whilst the speeds were great, the major downside was that usage was capped at 50 GB. Now from what Ed's saying, Three allows Netflix and Deezer as part of that allowance. It wasn't the case for me (I was on EE) so could chew threw 50 GB in a few weeks. I could add-on more, but it was pricey.

I'm going to keep an eye on mobile broadband. If there was the right deal (in terms of data / streaming allowance), I'm with Ed. I would ditch my landline in a heartbeat.

Great poddy. I'm going to give the Manics album a try - cheers.

Excellent podcast as usual, very enjoyable. One small issue though, the sound seemed a bit off. Phill was much louder than everyone else… anyone else notice this?
That's generally how it goes, and an unfortunate side effect from how the podcast is recorded. I believe it's recorded by Phil, and the others phone in via Skype (or otherwise) hence his voice is loud and clear, and theirs depends entirely on their individual mic setups, how the internet is feeling at any given moment, etc etc

This is the easiest way of doing things, as recording everyone separately, and editing it all together would be far too time consuming for a weekly podcast

Phil: it might be worth running the finished audio through a compressor and killing all dynamic range, that way everyone's the same volume? What DAW do you use, Audacity?
I'll give it a go myself and if I come up with an easy and effective solution I'll let you know :)

Fury isn't that accurate. Great that it's the actual tanks but other than that unrealistic.

1. See here, Tigers are very rare. : Interview with Steven Zaloga

2. Why did the Tiger break cover to take on the Sherman? It was in a prepared defensive position. It's hard to fire accurate on the move. Far better it sits there behind cover and taking out the Sherman at range. The Sherman would have had to leg it or be killed. If the Shermans had tried to flank the Tiger it could have backed up.

3. Tiger armour has the same thickness at the side as at the rear. The Sherman didn't have to fire directly at the rear. Also why not aim for the running gear? At least the tank would be immobilised. Note also, the long 76mm gun would bother the tiger's front armour at that close range.

4. At the end why wait for the infantry to get close? Infantry are dangerous at close ranges where the can use petrol bombs, post grenades, fire RPGs and are hard to hit. It would have been better engaging them at maximum range.

5. Tanks don't wander round on their own, particularly without infantry. The Sherman being cut off and making a last stand makes for a nice story but not reality.

6. The statement at the beginning. "US tank crewmen suffered staggering losses against the superior enemy vehicles" is a broad statement relative to armored warfare. Tank crewman losses were 10,000. Shermans numbered 50,000. So one guy per tank. Compare with the losses for U-Boat crews or bomber command.

7. In the film the Tiger tank kills the rear tank in the column first. In reality, where possible, you'd kill the lead one, then the rear one, then mop up those trapped in the middle.

Battle of Villers-Bocage - Wikipedia

Obviously that would mean the hero tank would be gone. Also the hero tank has a big gun (more machine guns and the long 76mm), so also an obvious target for the tiger.

8. German infantry at the end go for some kind of zerg rush. The RPGs aren't broken out till later, the infantry don't take advantage of the tanks poor visibility or go for blind spots.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom