AVForums Podcast: Episode 222 - 4th June 2018

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
This week:

00:00:30 – Mark wins a pub quiz, Steve sees The Wurzels, Cas attends two weddings and Ed prepares for a funeral
00:08:38 – Current competitions
00:10:22 – BBC to trial 4K, HDR and VR during the World Cup
00:22:55 – Phil and Steve get a closer look at the Panasonic UB9000 4K Blu-ray player
00:40:10 – Steve reviews the Samsung HW-N400 soundbar
00:43:55 – Ed reviews the Pro-Ject Juke Box E all-in-one system
00:48:48 – Solo bombs at the box office despite Ed going to see it
01:04:58 – Films opening this week – Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
01:07:35 – Disc releases this week – Darkest Hour, Journey’s End, 15:17 to Paris and The Dam Busters
01:14:48 – Upcoming 4K disc releases
01:18:52 – Goodbyes

Presented by Phil Hinton with Steve Withers, Ed Selley, Mark Botwright and Cas Harlow

Note:
If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Time: 01:19:33 | File Size: 114mb | Direct Link

Thanks for another great podcast. I watched the Dam busters restoration in my local cinema (Wetherby) they have rerated the film because of the "racist language" but decided not to change the name of the dog as it might be seen as changing the original which was "of its time". The film was really interesting especially the pacing and the use of music which was judicious rather than constant.

"I Am A Cider Drinker" is (Una) Paloma Blanca.

Well when you were in central London Phil I didn't see you whilst driving around in my hackney carriage.... Thank heavens.... :p

Cheers for another excellent podcast

I went to see solo today in IMAX 3D @ 2 pm as I had some leave to use up.....there were about 5 of us in the cinema
Which was great as no annoying Muppets to spoil it. I quite enjoyed i'd give it 7/10...bit by the the numbers but good fun all the same. however can't say that it was necessary

However a lot better than the last Jedi which isn't saying much

Thanks for another interesting podcast gents. I always make sure the kids are not in listening range for the first 10 minutes. Enjoyed the technology discussion around the UB9000. Very disappointed about the BBC's 4K offering for the World Cup considering the efforts of other broadcasters. And people wonder why others resort to streaming from other sources.

Any chance of statement/discussion about GDRP on a podcast? A lot of people including myself relied on Tapatalk to actively participate on the various forum threads. I do know about the long running thread on this matter.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/removal-of-access-to-avforums-via-the-app-and-tapatalk.2169424/

10 days to the World Cup and manufacturers are scrabbling to get the new range of TVs in to stores.

Haven’t heard much from HiSense (the official TV sponsor of Russia 2018)?

Any chance of statement/discussion about GDRP on a podcast? A lot of people including myself relied on Tapatalk to actively participate on the various forum threads.
No, because I don't have the first clue about it and it really isn't our remit. You would need to discuss this in the feedback forum for Admin to answer. We do the boring stuff here like podcasts and reviews. ;)

Hasn’t been enough time between Android crashes to do a proper review :rotfl:
LOL, not quite, but close. Yes AF8 review is being worked on and will be a long term test over the whole year. We like to actually spend plenty of time with TVs before posting reviews and videos. The first review thoughts should appear soon.

Thanks again for the listen, chaps.

I reckon Solo has had the most consistent reviews of all recent SW films. Everyone i know thinks it's "alright" !

I do think that the hype and expectation for this years WC, from an England team perspective is pretty low compared to previous times. I watched 1988 a bit, got totally into 1990 and it's been downhill since then !

MB

Thanks again for the listen, chaps.

I reckon Solo has had the most consistent reviews of all recent SW films. Everyone i know thinks it's "alright" !

I do think that the hype and expectation for this years WC, from an England team perspective is pretty low compared to previous times. I watched 1988 a bit, got totally into 1990 and it's been downhill since then !

MB

solo has done badly mostly because of the last Jedi - it's so unfair

I don't think fairness comes into it, Disney have disregarded the very people who made star wars what it is.....I.E.the fans
and they are the ones that have to be pleased.
The film is ok, not great and was a story that no one was actually asking for.

It is probably doing about as well as it should, I think it will as mentioned in the podcast do better on disc

I know AvForums is always looking for constructive feedback so please take this in the spirit intended....

My enjoyment of these podcasts has been slowly decreasing of late. It's difficult to put a finger on but I think the whole thing could benefit from a tightening up and some judicious editing. For me, there's far too much banter, personal discussion and knowing giggling going on. The podcsts are always better when the participants stick to their knitting. Also, some people really need to slow down - it's hard to keep up with the often breatless delivery and short-hand references. But maybe that's just me.

If it was a movie review, I might say there was a completely unnecessary and indulgent pre-credit sequence followed by a decent movie that suffered from some poor scripting and wolly delivery.

I know you guys are literally 'phoning it in' so I'll avoid that gag but better pacing, tighter script and less frivolity would go a long way.

I know AvForums is always looking for constructive feedback so please take this in the spirit intended....
Thanks for taking the time to give us some feedback. It's interesting as the main thrust of comments here in the past have been for longer cuts of the podcast as I used to make sure it was a very lean hour long. People also asked us to be a bit more off topic or to leave that stuff in as they enjoyed it. It gets over 12,000 downloads a week and I guess that making something that is perfect for everyone is always going to be a hiding to nothing. But thanks for your comments and I'll try and see if we can do anything to make it more enjoyable for you.

Thanks for taking the time to give us some feedback. It's interesting as the main thrust of comments here in the past have been for longer cuts of the podcast as I used to make sure it was a very lean hour long. People also asked us to be a bit more off topic or to leave that stuff in as they enjoyed it. It gets over 12,000 downloads a week and I guess that making something that is perfect for everyone is always going to be a hiding to nothing. But thanks for your comments and I'll try and see if we can do anything to make it more enjoyable for you.

I may, of course be swimming against the grain (to mix metaphors). Wouldn't be the first time! If the consensus is to keep it as it is, fine by me.

Release longer edits but add "clickable" timestamps which allows people to skip topics they don't want to hear about? Have no idea if this is practical to implement though?

Keep the podcast exactly as is, it's the banter that makes it a great listen with the top av info

I probably haven't really seriously looked at or bought any AV kit at all in 6 years, yet i listen and enjoy the podcast each week. It's enough detail to be meaningful, but not too much. If i want more detail about any subject raised there's probably an article on the site, or you can ask in this thread.

For me the "entertainment" factor is of equal importance to just keeping myself broadly up to date with the industry goings on.

:thumbsup:

MB

Another fantastic podcast chaps.

Please DO NOT cut anything from it or change it in any way. I listen to about a dozen podcasts a week - and this is one I most look forward to - especially when it's a depressing Monday morning and I have to return back to work.

Keep up the excellent work.

Depends, a lot of people had no problem with The Last Jedi. However, Solo is out at the same time as lots of other films and I think the overall feeling with Solo is "meh." It's had Ok reviews, and it's a story I can't care about. I'll watch it eventually.

My enjoyment of these podcasts has been slowly decreasing of late. It's difficult to put a finger on but I think the whole thing could benefit from a tightening up and some judicious editing. For me, there's far too much banter, personal discussion and knowing giggling going on. The podcsts are always better when the participants stick to their knitting. Also, some people really need to slow down - it's hard to keep up with the often breatless delivery and short-hand references. But maybe that's just me.

If it was a movie review, I might say there was a completely unnecessary and indulgent pre-credit sequence followed by a decent movie that suffered from some poor scripting and wolly delivery.

I know you guys are literally 'phoning it in' so I'll avoid that gag but better pacing, tighter script and less frivolity would go a long way.

I'm sort of the opposite. I don't mind the live chat, it's fun banter, I don't mind the music reviews, sometimes I find it useful.

High Point - Nils Frahm, GusGus.
Low Point - Kraftwerk. Went out, got some stuff, barely bothered with it.

Film reviews, TV programmes I've found useful. Forged In Fire I watched a few of on the strength of on here. With that stuff "we can all join in."

The only problem I have is if you have a 10 minute review/heads up of an £8K subwoofer on the podcast it's not something I'm likely to be getting, so I still listen but not that relevant to me.

Freebie on YouTube:

The Dambusters read by Richard Todd who played Guy Gibson.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom