Staff member
Reaction score
This Week:

00:01:06 – We’re back
00:12:00 – Current Competitions
00:14:23 – Phil’s thoughts on the LG B8 OLED TV
00:35:08 – Steve rounds up some Dolby Atmos/DTS:X soundbars
00:51:20 – Ed’s album, vinyl release, and playlist of the month
00:58:22 – Films opening this week – First Man, Mandy, Smallfoot, and Bad Times at the El Royale 01:03:55 – Films of the month
01:06:05 – Blu-ray releases this week – Hereditary, Superman: The Movie Extended Cut, and Book Club
01:09:10 – 4K Blu-ray releases this week – Shutter Island, Hook, Hansel & Gretel, Fast and the Furious, 2 Fast 2 Furious, and Tokyo Drift
01:10:56 – Discs of the month
01:13:18 – TV shows of the month
01:25:44 – Goodbyes

Presented by Phil Hinton with Steve Withers, Ed Selley and Mark Botwright

Note: If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Time: 01:26:39 | File Size: 124mb | Direct Link

I'm not sure what it says about my life but it's great to have your voices back in my ears!

Love the in depth TV chat, as a OLED fan myself I agree once you've owned one it's very hard to go back to LCD if deep blacks are your thing, also agree with the idea of a smaller size even if it comes with a premium price, I needed a 40 ich screen for the bedroom and would have happily put down the extra cost for that screen to have been an OLED.

Keep up the great work on the show guys and no more time off until Christmas ;)

Good to have you back gents.

Regarding the TV discussion, I was happy to hear that given the differences between the B7 and B8 are minimal, my purchase of the 65" B7 was the right call.

@Mark Botwright given that you're probably the biggest gamer on the podcast, is there any chance you could post up your game settings for your B7? Given how there seems to be a lot of discussion about how dim/dull the game settings are after the most recent update to the TV, I'm sure there would be many interested in seeing what you use.

@Phil Hinton get game pass for forza. Netflix for games £7.99 a month and the first month free. All Microsoft games are on too

Vincent still prefers high end lcds for HDR, and for shadow detail the ZF9 did better than the two oleds in US shootout. Probably down to personal preference which display technology is better for HDR though.

I really enjoyed curry news. I had a strong belief that "there's no such thing as a hot shop bought curry" until this morning. Every day is, indeed, a school day...

I'm in the category of people who would consider a smaller OLED and not expect a price discount to large screens. Thanks to physical constraints (but mainly) Mrs meltonboy's views, i can't go much about 45". I would judge the value of a new screen against others i might buy, so the 55" price is not relevant to me.

@Ed Selley - I think you made the correct train decision. We bought a "Thomas & Friends" themed Hornby set in the sales to find that by the time the juniors can handle Hornby (it's still very delicate to set up and run) they had grown out of Thomas.

Thanks and nice to have you all back !

MB

Hi guys,
Good to hear you again.
Just wondering when you might be reporting on your long-term review of the Panny 802, that was mentioned some months back.

Nice to have the podcast back.

Yeah definitely get Forza Horizon 4 for your Xbox One X @Phil Hinton . It's gorgeous and great fun.

I'd still find it hard to relax with an OLED having burned in HUD elements from excessive Destiny gaming on my old Panasonic plasma (50GT50).
I totally get the OLED HDR thing and sometimes feel my DX902 is soo bright with HDR it hurts. I love my LCD, but some dark scenes can really challenge it. I don't see the haloing that some users report, but I sit dead on to the TV and it becomes more obvious as you go off axis. And there's another big benefit of OLED is the viewing angles.
I've been keeping an eye on the long term LG OLED image retention/burn in tests at Rtings, and IIRC the gaming rig is running fine. Ones with static logos less well, but it is a pretty extreme test. What was interesting is that initially they saw some panel variation leading to image retention from the factory test cards. I think that was fixed with a software update, I can't quite remember.
For the moment I'm very happy with my DX902 knowing that I can leave it on whatever content is showing. Personally I just couldn't relax enough with an OLED, but I'm sure it would probably be fine, especially as I don't play that much of a single game type these days.

Good to have you guy’s back & on top form as always!

Welcome to the MK club Steve, excellent choice - what you running for the atmos part to your set up?

Glad to have you back and (halfway in) but stopping now as it's early morning!
Really enjoying the chat.
Also wondering if Steve has upgraded his connection speed as his audio seem clearer to me :)

Thanks guys!

Good to have you guy’s back & on top form as always!

Welcome to the MK club Steve, excellent choice - what you running for the atmos part to your set up?
Yes, I'm delighted with the MKs. I've got four JBL Control Ones up on the ceiling.

Yes, I'm delighted with the MKs. I've got four JBL Control Ones up on the ceiling.

Steve are these the very latest mk3 versions of the S150s and if so could you hear any differences between these and the mk2s?

Steve are these the very latest mk3 versions of the S150s and if so could you hear any differences between these and the mk2s?
Yes they are, although unfortunately I didn't review the earlier Mark 2s, so I can compare the performance. However if you want a neutral speaker that puts out exactly what it gets in with accuracy and fidelity, these are for you. I know it's very much an acquired taste, but I also love their professional monitor look, and I'm glad they've dropped those foam bits off the front baffle.

Happened to wander past an Iceland earlier and, lo and behold, what did I find therein?

I'll most likely eat it over the weekend and report back if Mark is a big wuss or not.

Happened to wander past an Iceland earlier and, lo and behold, what did I find therein?

I'll most likely eat it over the weekend and report back if Mark is a big wuss or not.
Bog roll in the fridge? – check. New pants? – check. Ambulance on standby? – check.

A round of applause for Ed for his point about the minimum size of OLED televisions.

Our lounge is quite large, but an odd shape. It currently has an aging 1080p television which I'd quite like to replace with a 4K HDR OLED but cannot simply because even the smallest simply won't fit.

I think the smallest screen reviewed on AVF recently was a 49" Sony LCD? I guess AVF is a bit like Top Gear in that it tends to focus on the higher end market.

I think the smallest screen reviewed on AVF recently was a 49" Sony LCD? I guess AVF is a bit like Top Gear in that it tends to focus on the higher end market.

Not really. We have reviewed small screen sizes and lower-priced TVs in the past and nobody has bothered to read them. So we decided that wasting time and effort reviewing such items was not a good idea and concentrate on the products forum members are talking about and interested in the most. If things have changed in that regard we will, of course, start reviewing them again. Given the limited resources we have, we do have to weigh up which products will be the most popular and worthwhile to cover.

Good podcast as ever, but it did feel like it was sponsored by LG OLED and the BBC this week :)
LOL, nope, just the products and services we have been spending our time with the last few weeks. It'll be Philips and Sony heavy in the coming podcasts as that is what is lined up, along with some Yamaha and Denon.

While I feel the lack of smaller oled screen size users pain, I don’t have any interest in reading about 40 odd inch TVs. I could never afford 75”> but will happily read and dream about them.
Interesting point on pricing a <55” oled at the same price as a 55” as I know a few who said they’d pay the price but couldn’t accommodate the size.
Speaking of BBC plugs, another good doc on iPlayer : RBS - inside the bank that ran out of... fancinating insight into a bank that nearly broke the UK, looking at the build up of this small bank into one of the worlds biggest + the lead up to those involved with the bailout.
Great podcast guys as usual !!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom