AVForums Podcast: Episode 250 - 28th January 2019

Congrats on 250 poddy's guys and given good health you will be still going strong for another 250+. Also congrats on buying a noisy large green pea Phil. By the way I feel that I would beat you off the lights at Notting Hill Gate in my TX series taxicab and race you down Holland Park Avenue towards Shepherd's Bush Roundabout . ;)

I Thought Cas was rather unceremoniously cut off while making a very valid point about Mortal engines, movies dont have to make sense to make make money or even be good, often quite the opposite, sometimes a total lack of advertising can kill a movie. Granted this might be bad (i havent seen it yet) but I agree with Cas it probably didnt need to bomb as badly as it did as they didnt invest properly in advertising.

I think valerian and the city of a thousand planets had much the same problem, but I really enjoyed that movie, totally contrary to most of the reviews too, although watching it on a 65 inch 3D OLED did add to the experience.

@ed_selly was confused when recommend burial? Is that the artist rather than group? I guess it’s not the metal band?

@ed_selly was confused when recommend burial? Is that the artist rather than group? I guess it’s not the metal band?

This one. Non Amazon retailers are also available.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
P.s. also assumed was not the one that started f*er f*er f*er f*er

Confused
Northampton

@ed_selly thanks it was who I was thinking of and yes fab!

I had very low expectations for DC Titans, having tried watching DC series content on Sky and Amazon. Also Netflix Marvel is incredible and raised the bar soooooo high.

I was very impressed with Titans. Marvel has some potential competition.

Thanks for another enjoyable edition gents, you have come a long way since that first edition hosted by Jason Bradbury and which featured a budding film critic called Phil Hinton.

Agree about the need for reviewing suitable TVs above the £500 mark and the reasons outlined. How else will potential new customers be introduced to the wonders of DV, HDR 10+ etc?

Re the snake oil debate and some of the outlandish claims made by manufacturers/dealers, is it not time for Trading Standards to investigate some very deceptive/dubious marketing? I won't name them here, but we could all nominate a couple from the posts in Ed's article.

Great show as always.

I would like to see a rundown/group-test of cheaper TVs, or a “What does £xxx get you?” article. For me, I’m limited by screen size, 50” or above being too big for my living room (for now ;)). When you look at smaller sizes you don’t have the choice of top-spec models with FALD or OLED, so it would be good to know how mid-range models stack up.

Snake oil is a delicate topic as it does bring out the red-faced rage monster :mad: in me when I see the outrageous comedy prices charged for some of it. As Ed hinted at, the only reason to spend a little more than pocket change on wiring up a system is for the durability of the cables, and for ease of connection. I have spent about 30-40 quid on decent quality shrouded banana plugs for my 5.1 system, not for sound quality, but so I can move my speakers to hoover behind them, without having to unscrew binding posts and remove fraying bare wire every time :thumbsup:

Just to clarify, it's 250 episodes of the weekly podcast we started a few years back. The podcast has actually been running in one form or another for 497 episodes since 2006. So, if we remember we can celebrate 500 soon ;)
With a certain Jason Bradbury! With our Phil heading up the film review section. LOTR if I remember correctly?

@Ed Selley What was the TV series you said that was on Hulu? I dont think you mentioned it be name. Steve then said something about it on Amazon?

E2458ED0-3681-414C-AAC6-6F7FD5E8DF21.jpeg
this episode is not showing up on TuneIn.

All previous episodes are available. See above screen shot.

Re the snake oil debate and some of the outlandish claims made by manufacturers/dealers, is it not time for Trading Standards to investigate some very deceptive/dubious marketing? I won't name them here, but we could all nominate a couple from the posts in Ed's article.

If i recall correctly trading Standards went after one specific claim made by Russ Andrews for one particular product - and won. RA said that their methodology was flawed and unfair. Not sure what happened after that, if anything.

I have nothing personally against RA, BTW and have some of their "cheap" cables.

MB

@ed_selley went straight onto deezer and downloaded weezer teal album. I'm in the same boat and can't decide if it is sublime or ridiculous. Each time I listen to another track I change my mind. Apart from No Scrubs as that is just simply sublime :D

Last edited:
@ed_selley went straight onto deezer and downloaded weezer teal album. I'm in the same boat and can't decide if it is sublime or ridiculous. Each time I listen to another track I change my mind. Apart from No Scrubs as that is just simply sublime :D
Listened to the Weezer album on Spotify and must admit I only prefer cover versions when I hear them live and with a pint in my hand :beer:.

Have to agree and it strikes me that it is similar to those compilation albums you used to get late 70's and early 80's before the NOW albums became a reality, where they were poor covers of hit songs in the charts at the time. I like the concept, but feel the execution is not quite good enough.

Let me explain TuneIn since there may not be an understanding here.

TuneIn is a popular way to receive podcasts and internet radio.

On many hi-fi gear such as Bose Soundbars it is available in the software.

So hopefully after this some one from AVFORUMS can comment on the missing episode just as Phil did in response to others highlighting an issue with Apple Podcasts.

So hopefully after this some one from AVFORUMS can comment on the missing episode just as Phil did in response to others highlighting an issue with Apple Podcasts.
We publish an XML RSS everytime a podcast is published and it is this that services like iTunes and others use to pull in the latest episode. I have no idea why it is working on some services and not others. I have run our XML through a checker and there are no errors, so I'm not sure why some people are having issues. You could try unsubscribing and then resubscribe to your service and that may solve whatever issue there may be.

Another classic in the WTF is going on?, but great all the same. Really loved the Snake Oil piece. I would be interested in some of the more mid range TV's to be reviewed and here's why. I feel the top end tv's have so little differences between them it is interesting to have a reviewers opinion on the more budget end of the market. As Steve pointed out there are some really cracking TV's out there but it can be a bit hit and miss. I doubt anyone is expecting all the bells and whistles on these TV's but maybe now and again a comparison between 3 Tv's as a similar price could be useful.
Happy 250 podcast and great that it slipped by relatively unnoticed as it's in keeping with dare I say it the tradition of the podcast which is more loose women mixed with technical insight and the constant disappointment at the Star Wars movies and the promotion of Netflix. Keep up the good work.

Rebillet is awesome. So much so it's inspired me to buy a Boss RC-505 looper to mess about with. Should arrive today. :clap:
He has an album on Spotify, but it's really worth watching his videos to see him put the songs together. Really very talented. He's also currently touring the UK.
And he's also in this infamous video from back in the day

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom