AVForums Podcast: Episode 252 - 11th February 2019

I don’t know if this observation is entirely relevant to this Podcast, but sharing it anyway.

My freind has the 2018 LGOLED65C8. Compared to my 2017 LGOLED’s this TV is incredibly good at addressing colour graduation issues. I previously thought Sony ZD9 was the best at this by along way, however the C8 is fantastic aswell.

I might even consider upgrading for this feature alone. Sad hey?

I don’t know if this observation is entirely relevant to this Podcast, but sharing it anyway.

My freind has the 2018 LGOLED65C8. Compared to my 2017 LGOLED’s this TV is incredibly good at addressing colour graduation issues. I previously thought Sony ZD9 was the best at this by along way, however the C8 is fantastic aswell.

I might even consider upgrading for this feature alone. Sad hey?
I have a 65C8 and I think it has an awesome picture. Best all-round TV of last year in my opinion.

Thanks for the Guitar, Drum and Bass top tip, just a shame the BBC seem to have already deleted episode 1 from iPlayer.

On the subject of streaming versus disk any titles I am slightly dubious about owning I will stream (rent) first and if I like it wait until a 2 for £30 offer somewhere to buy the disk. But anything I really want I will get straight on disk. The 4k picture on itunes is good, but the sound is no where near a disk.

Very enjoyable podcast. Thanks guys. One question to Steve. You mentioned you preferred the N7 to the Sony 870. Was this based on a separate review or a throwback to your experience of seeing it demonstrated at Cedia? Thanks,
Paul.

It probably shouldn't be, but is findable on YouTube.
It's what annoys me about the BBC iPlayer. I'm paying them over £12 per month and yet programs disappear way too quickly and therefore we have to either miss out or find other ways of watching their content. They seriously need to sort their licensing model out.

It's what annoys me about the BBC iPlayer. I'm paying them over £12 per month and yet programs disappear way too quickly and therefore we have to either miss out or find other ways of watching their content. They seriously need to sort their licensing model out.

Totally agree with you on that point.

Another issue I have is the picture quality on iPlayer. It is soo bad and not sure it even qualifies as 720. Looks terrible. It is much better Over the Air(Ariel) and Sky Satellite.

Strange as they managed to produce some incredibly good HDR HLG content, but perhaps they should focus on atleast delivering a cleaner 1080p image that is watchable on 65inch TV’s.

Great podcast as always.
I think Rakuten should give all AVF members a free rental to try. I have sky Q and wait for some films to appear on there in 4K to sample but if I found the quality and price to my liking then I would defo think about renting from a streaming service.

No, it wasn't an advertorial. We are always 100% transparent about such things. Rakuten gave Cas a code to try out a rental, which was disclosed in the podcast and that was it. We didn't have to talk about it or praise the service in any way. Much like a manufacturer giving us a piece of kit to review or a check disc.

Thanks

The BBC had a chance to lead the world with this. Long before Netflix kicked off. They have a huge back catalogue and they could have been delivering a decent service with it.

I used to watch some stuff on my laptop. It played through the iplayer app. The HD version was the best available. And was at 720 playing on my 1080p screen. So it played in a corner of the laptop.

Thanks for another great podcast, chaps.

Also loving "The Defiant Ones". Note that BBC has a 6 episode cut of this (vs 4 on Netflix). Probably just shorter episodes although I haven't counted the total minutes.

MB

I think it was this podcast where you mentioned "The Kid Who Would Be King" and the lukewarm reception it had received. I saw it yesterday with the juniors and all 4 (age range 7-46) thought it was a cracking family adventure film. In fact we all preferred it to Lego Movie 2, which we also enjoyed over half term.

MB

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom