AVForums Podcast: Episode 258 - 25th March 2019

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
00:01:02 - What has the team done this week?
00:10:31 - Current Competitions
00:12:09 - Steve reviews the B&W 600 Series Speakers
00:20:57 - Phil reviews the Marantz NR1509 AVR
00:30:08 - Ed reviews the Revel Concerta 2 M16 Speakers
00:37:17 - Ed's playlist, album and vinyl of the month
00:44:12 - Movie news
00:53:48 - Best streaming films of the month
00:58:26 - Best film of the month
00:59:23 - This week's cinema releases
01:04:12 - This week's 4K and Blu-ray disc releases
01:07:03 - Discs of the Month
01:08:59 - Best and worst TV shows of the month
01:25:11 - Goodbyes

Presented by Phil Hinton with Steve Withers, Ed Selly, Cas Harlow and Mark Botwright

Note: If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Time: 01:26:04 | File Size: 123mb | Direct Link

Excellent edition, especially the chat about TV programmes. Agree with Phil about Alan Partridge, there are hardly any true cringe moments compared to the original series. My favourites included " Dan - Dan! " and the farmers dropping a dead cow off a bridge onto AP. Set up Sky for Forged in Steel ( later showings ) much to the other half's amusement.

Can't stand Jonathan (Creak) Creek either, saw it once and i'm still trying to get over it... awful. :boring:

Regarding "Inside The factory"... bleedin' pencils, do me a favour. As usual Greg Wallace is doing his usual shtick of ho, ho, ho, har, harr, harrr, wow, amazing etc, etc and can I press the button crumbs look at meee and those must be my tomatoes over there. This is with people who are usually doing, unless they love it, boring unchallenging jobs, yeah, yeah I know I drive for a living. :rolleyes:

They have probably been told by "the management".... Look we've got grocer with an unusual sense of humour so.... er humour him. He will find the most mundane things "amazing" so always smile and resist the opportunity of cluncking him one as you don't earn that much and he does, but don't let that get to you as your here for a looong time and he isn't.

I'm not saying that I don't find some of this series interesting.... from a distance.... but.... some of these people don't have any choice regarding what job they do because of demographics and therefore probably have no real job satisfaction. Like putting stuff into plastic packaging or just looking at "things" going by on a conveyor belt picking up the odd "not quite perfect" whatevahs. But uncle Greg will find it fascinating and make comments like Johnny "you must be the head picker upperer" even though he's 64, or "hi Fred you must be the chief of the lorry driver's here with a precious cargo of pomegranate seeds" o_O etc, etc and so on and so forth. Nice poddy by the way guys. :)

Last edited:
I have the Marantz NR1504 (I can only accommodate slim-line), and want to upgrade to handle 4K. One question I've never seen answered is whether the NR1509 can deliver OSD onto a 4K signal. The data sheet seems to suggest not (they call it 'GUI overlay'), but I've never seen this pointed out in any review (though perhaps they're all like that?) Would Steve care to comment?
Is it possible to say whether the Yamaha RXS602 is any different in this respect?

@Phil Hinton to give you an idea of the bass in Overlord ;)

Pi22TbN.jpg

I have the Marantz NR1504 (I can only accommodate slim-line), and want to upgrade to handle 4K. One question I've never seen answered is whether the NR1509 can deliver OSD onto a 4K signal. The data sheet seems to suggest not (they call it 'GUI overlay'), but I've never seen this pointed out in any review (though perhaps they're all like that?) Would Steve care to comment?
Is it possible to say whether the Yamaha RXS602 is any different in this respect?
Yes they can deliver an OSD onto a 4K signal.

They say laughter is infectious. This was proved yesterday when I listened to this edition as I found myself laughing along to the first ten minutes for no particular reason.

I'm loving This Time with Alan Partridge. The Gibbons bros. have brought so much to Partridge since they took the character over and I'm not really understanding when people say that have made him too broad and surreal. Under Iannucci and Baynham they had angry farmers drop a cow on Alan and him impale his foot on a spike. Under Marber and Iannucci he shot a guest and slapped a child and back in the days of On the Hour when Lee and Herring wrote him, he might as well have been on the moon given the football team and horse names he would come out with.

The sequence when Alan's lookalike started singing IRA songs is instant classic Partridge.

That scene was hysterical. Last night's episode was also excellent, Alan's giant lips had me in stitches.

It is hilarious.

To me it is a little like Anchorman Movie and that new show starring Steve Carrel & Jennifer Aniston = ‘The Morning Show’

I loved Ianucci’s writing, and yet Partridge’s appeal hasn’t waned in my view. I can’t get enough of him, especially when you see little changes like the opening credits changing in this weeks episode (the smiling receptionist).

Yes they can deliver an OSD onto a 4K signal.
Thanks, Steve. In that case I'm not understanding their spec at
Marantz UK | NR1509
Attached is a snippet from the page:
Marantz-1509-spec.jpg

This suggests GUI overlay for HDMI (first line). The fifth line says yes to 4K pass-though, but NO to both 4K scaling and 4K GUI overlay. This suggests the yes for HDMI overlay might only apply to SD and HD. Interesting that you have seen different.

Thanks, Steve. In that case I'm not understanding their spec at
Marantz UK | NR1509
Attached is a snippet from the page:View attachment 1133588
This suggests GUI overlay for HDMI (first line). The fifth line says yes to 4K pass-though, but NO to both 4K scaling and 4K GUI overlay. This suggests the yes for HDMI overlay might only apply to SD and HD. Interesting that you have seen different.
I haven't seen the NR1509, I was referring to other Denon and Marantz receivers that I've reviewed. However I guess if the NR1509 doesn't include a 4K scaler then it can't upscale and lay the GUI over a 4K signal. However @Phil Hinton is reviewing the NR1509 right now, so I'm sure he can confirm this for you.

I tried Edd's album of the month and after two or three listens it is growing on me, it reminds me of a slower paced Moon Hooch - another band no one except for me seems to have heard of.

Hey @Ed Selley - interesting that you mentioned The Comet Is Coming and The Cinematic Orchestra on vinyl. I can only hope the mastering must be hugely different since the digital versions of the latest CA album and all the Comet Is Coming material is anything but dynamic. It's a shame because they're both good bands.

Thanks for a great episode, as always.

Phil and Mark, I’d also enthusiastically suggest giving This Time With Alan Partridge another chance. Also a longtime Partridge fan and have loved all the eps so far. I think one of you might have pointed out; it seems unlikely Coogan would have done it unless he thought it would be good. I’m loving Alan mixed with the modern world. For example, I thought Episode 2 was actually a brilliant satire of social media.

Hey @Ed Selley - interesting that you mentioned The Comet Is Coming and The Cinematic Orchestra on vinyl. I can only hope the mastering must be hugely different since the digital versions of the latest CA album and all the Comet Is Coming material is anything but dynamic. It's a shame because they're both good bands.

Took a bit of time to work out the discrepancy on this but I think this is because I'm using Roon at the moment and it's defaulted to Qobuz for my streamed content and there are high res versions of both of these albums available- which again, it chooses automatically. These do sound quite a bit better than the 44.1 versions.

Both do have good vinyl pressings though- although To Believe is quite hot.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom