AVForums Podcast: Episode 264 - 20th May 2019

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
00:01:07 - What has the team done this week?
00:10:25 - Current Competitions
00:13:55 - TV Market Research and Results with Paul Gray, IHA Markit
00:38:26 - Marantz says farewell to Ken Ishiwata
00:41:12 - Onkyo and Pioneer join Sound United
00:45:39 - John Wick Chapter 3 review
00:51:58 - Films opening this week
00:58:28 - 4K and Blu-ray releases this week
01:05:29 - More Disney news...
01:16:14 - Goodbyes
Presented by Phil Hinton with Cas Harlow and Steve Withers

Note:
If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Time: 01:17:26 | File Size: 151mb | Direct Link

Excellent podcast guys.
Enjoyed the usual banter / thoughts and found the interview with Paul very interesting, looking forward to hearing his update.
Really interesting comments on HLG and when it’s really coming also HFR bandwidth, looks like we might be getting it after all!
Avatar-couldn’t give a monkeys but will go out of interest to see its HFR implementation (assuming it will be).
Agree with Chernobyl, amazing tv, frightening how close we came !!

Great podcast as usual, very informative and interesting. Paul was a great guest and the questions you asked him were all relevant and clarified many points. Thanks for the information.

Great show guys, IHS man was great. A good dose of reality being served up about 8k being ten years away.

We’re seeing reviews for the first 8k sets now, which might not even last to see the first 8k broadcast!

We get a bit carried away in our little bubble of relentless progress, and occasionally we need to remember that the majority of people who buy AV kit just want something that works reliably, does an adequate job in terms of performance and will last them a good while.

Good listen again folks, especially the interview with Paul Gray. Is there merit in interviewing him around the time of CES to add another dimension to product launches?

The recent Sound United acquisitions do not bode well for the industry in my view with regards to prices. Less competition invariably ends up with increases.

Yet again another great listen, thank you. The observations from Paul were interesting. I'm currently hunting out Chernobyl. Gets 9.6 on IMDB....

[UPDATE]

Started watching Chernobyl last night... First time in a while (I know it's bad), I've actually not glimpsed at the phone whilst watching. Really quite harrowing ...

Also nice when you guys give a heads up on stuff to watch. it's a sea of noise out their and sometimes, well, you spend longer looking than you do watching !! Esp. the Star Wars stuff.

Last edited:
Great podcast as always guys and loved listening to Paul Gray.

I've had the 4K77 Star Wars for a while and TBO I don't see how much better any official version might be. In places I'm sure Disney can better it. But just watching the Non DNR'd version just had me smiling all the way through. "This is how it should be" was all I could think of. The grain in the desert scenes is colossal mind. Not since the Wookie Groomer has there been better IMO.

Professional HDR? Dunno maybe. Atmos? Yeah OK

Can I ask in which Podcast Episode have you talked about the last Game of Thrones episode?

Can I ask in which Podcast Episode have you talked about the last Game of Thrones episode?
They haven't yet. The guys agreed to wait for the final episode to air before talking about it.

But bank Holidays etc happened. I'm sure we'll get to hear their thoughts tomorrow in the best of round up.

They haven't yet. The guys agreed to wait for the final episode to air before talking about it.

But bank Holidays etc happened. I'm sure we'll get to hear their thoughts tomorrow in the best of round up.

Thank you. I hope they don’t hold back..

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom