AVForums Podcast: Episode 266 - 17th June 2019

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
00:00:52 - What has the team done this week?
00:06:01 - Current Competitions
00:08:30 - Phil and Steve report from the 8K Summit in New York
00:42:37 - Phil gets hands-on with the Panasonic GZ2000 OLED TV
00:48:03 - Ed reviews the Polk S15e Speakers
00:53:45 - Mark rounds-up the news from E3
01:01:07 - Films released this week
01:08:20 - 4K and Blu-ray releases this week
01:13:26 - Streaming and TV shows
01:19:17 - Goodbyes

Presented by Phil Hinton with Steve Withers, Mark Botwright and Ed Selley.

Note:
If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Time: 01:21:24 | File Size: 156mb | Direct Link

Phil, that was a hell of a 6 min GZ2000 tease, can’t wait to read the review/find out what has been tweaked since CES!

Very interesting comments regarding 8K/production/cost and how games consoles are driving.

PS5/next gen Xbox have both said 8K up to 120fps but most “of those in the supposed know” are saying it will be 4K 60fps, with some titles 4K 120fps.
The 8K thing, we are assuming it means hdmi2.1 and some sort of upscaling.
As it will be 7 years since last console (although both did have a 4K (or near enough) mid gen update), if it’s another 5-7 and that’s when 8K will be standard (as in you can’t purchase 4K TVs), adds up nicely.

Is there any of the NY presentation that can be shared or any contacts that could have a future interview ?

Great pod as usual guys !

Last edited:
Note that this weeks release of The Running Man on Blu-ray is in fact the 1963 film as opposed to the 1987 film starring Arnold Schwarzenegger. Don't despair though because the Schwarzenegger film is due for release on Blu-ray next week.

What is bizarre about this is that the 1987 film has nothing at all to do with the 1963 film so the fact that both are being reeased on Blu-ray in such close proximity is pure coincidence!

The Running Man (1963) - IMDb

Is there any of the NY presentation that can be shared or any contacts that could have a future interview?

Great pod as usual guys!

I'm trying to line up interviews with some of the presenters if they will do it. Some of the information discussed was not for public consumption, but I'm sure we can follow up on many of the issues we touched on in the podcast.

Phil, I am even more excited about the GZ2000 NOW!! After that tantalising preview...:smashin:

Can't wait for you to get it in for full review. :love::love:

Thank you. What was the other OLED TV you saw next to the Panasonic?

Guessing it was a Sony AF9 or AG9

I saw the trailers for BRIGHTBURN, but could not see reference to Superman. Is this known or were you talking comparatively?

I saw the trailers for BRIGHTBURN, but could not see reference to Superman. Is this known or were you talking comparatively?

I think Phil was using Superman as a example of a Super hero who's origins on earth are similar to those of the child depicted in the film. It isn't a Superman film and doesn't have anything to do with Superman or DC Comics. It is basically a kid with superpowers who came from another planet, but unlike the Superman story, this kid uses his powers for something other than good.

What if a child from another world crash-landed on Earth, but instead of becoming a hero to mankind, he proved to be something far more sinister? With Brightburn, the visionary filmmaker of Guardians of the Galaxy and Slither presents a startling, subversive take on a radical new genre: superhero horror.

I think Phil was using Superman as a example of a Super hero who's origins on earth are similar to those of their child depicted in the film. It is a Superman film and doesn't have anything to do with Superman or DC Comics.

Yes it is not clear and I think Superman is DC Comics and again could not see reference to that in the 3 trailers.

So you think it is a comparative observation, but not literal. The boy is not Call from Krypton.

Yes it is not clear and I think Superman is DC Comics and again could not see reference to that in the 3 trailers.

So you think it is a comparative observation, but not literal. The boy is not Call from Krypton.

It has nothing to do with Superman or the Superman story. He isn't from Krypton.

It has nothing to do with Superman or the Superman story. He isn't from Krypton.

Thank you for clearing that up. I do think it is possible for Superman to turn bad as he did so in the Christopher Reeve Superman 3 Movie after being exposed to artificial Kryptonite.

Thank you for clearing that up. I do think it is possible for Superman to turn bad as he did so in the Christopher Reeve Superman 3 Movie after being exposed to artificial Kryptonite.

I think Superman is a menace to society. How many tomes has he detroyed Metropolis? I'm suprised that they can get anyone to live there.

Last edited:
I think Superman is a menace to society. How many tomes has he detroyed Matropolis? I'm suprised that they can get anyone to live there.

Yes and Batman will agree with you. Superman’s fight with Zod in Metropolis killed Batman’s dad. He could have taken the fight elsewhere.

Interesting point about the gaming industry influence on TV performance, however the console segment is only about 34billion dollar revenue and I think that is smaller than Hollywood. The total market size was about 134billion for gaming in 2018 with mobile taking up 70+ billion dollars.

My friend is a top Producer for EA games and did FIFA. HE tells me it is more focused on mobile now.

Hi Phil,

I will try asking you a question, but little faith you will reply as you tend to ignore my questions. Hope it is not personal.

Any here goes;
‘Was the Panasonic GZ2000 able to sustain the 1000nits brightness for long?’

Hi Phil,

I will try asking you a question, but little faith you will reply as you tend to ignore my questions. Hope it is not personal.

Any here goes;
‘Was the Panasonic GZ2000 able to sustain the 1000nits brightness for long?’
I have no idea why you would think it's personal, I have no idea who you are. Maybe I have just been busy when you have asked questions in the past?
To answer your question here, I have no idea at the moment, but it is a standard test I do run, so will be able to say once I get one in. Thanks.

You might want to check out Red Son, it's a DC Superman comic run that imagines what might have happened if Superman had landed in Soviet Russia rather than the USA. It's really good.

The GZ2000 sounds highly promising, but I wonder if Panasonic will finally be able to fix the frame skipping issues of previous sets?

You might want to check out Red Son, it's a DC Superman comic run that imagines what might have happened if Superman had landed in Soviet Russia rather than the USA. It's really good.
Yep, Red Son is a classic Steve - I think they're planning an animated movie of that.

Thanks gents, good to hear you all again and you did not disappoint.

The initial thoughts on the GZ2000 sound great and it will no doubt get a " reference " badge from your review.

Bit worried about all the man crushes disclosed during the show!

Thanks again guys...

One item I found very interesting, and I have heard it before is the 'potential' of lowering large format display prices due to Chinese manufacturing ( I think you said ). I have noticed both 65 and some 75" getting more, err, 'reasonable'. As such, I will hold off a little longer, and to compensate, I will just move my chair closer to the TV....

Great show my dudes.

It is the life of an A.V. enthusiast to always be chasing the unattainable next best thing. 4K becoming the standard means obviously striving for 8K and beyond.

A good podcast discussion might be which areas of technology are you happy just to make do? My kitchen appliances are from reasonably credible brands, but are the billy-basic models. Same for power tools/laptop/printer etc.

Another top drawer podcast Gents.

A particularly great point made was pixel density. I think this makes a massive difference on PQ and for me is a genuine reason why you would go 4k or even 8k without a lot of native source material.

Great show guys.

I was slightly worried when you were considering an all do show.

When downloading a podcast on apple there is a limit on file size for 3/4g before you need WiFi. So no big podcasts plz

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom