AVForums Podcast: Episode 268 - 1st July 2019

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
00:00:56 - What has the team done this week?
00:05:12 - Current Competitions
00:08:12 - Steve reviews the Klipsch Reference Premiere Speakers
00:22:52 - Ed reviews the Audio Technica ATH-MSR7b headphones
00:27:07 - Phil reviews the Sony AG8 OLED TV
00:42:03 - Planned reviews for July
00:47:46 - Ed's playlist, album and vinyl of the month
00:54:22 - Steve reviews Toy Story 4, Brightburn and Apollo 11
01:05:02 - Film of the month?
01:07:51 - Films released this week
01:15:17 - Blu-ray releases this week
01:17:56 - Best disc of the month?
01:22:22 - Streaming releases this week
01:24:43 - TV shows of the month?
01:31:58 - Goodbyes

Presented by Phil Hinton with Steve Withers, Ed Selley and Cas Harlow

Note: If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Time: 01:32:54 | File Size: 178mb | Direct Link

Have to agree the THOM YORKE album ANIMA is incredible. And the 15min Film on Netflix is astounding. The choreography is mind blowing.
God Thom Yorke can move...:eek::thumbsup: 10/10

Cas's mike has gone from muffled to toppy now. Better tho.
I have just seen the US BD of Apollo 11 too. Fantastic visuals from the 65/70mm and the 70mm "10 perf. engineering format" Government footage that is described in the extras. Scanned in 8 and 16K, too ! Also the fab. hi res stills from the Moon itself. Why we have to wait 'til the autumn to get this disc in the UK, I don't understand. Love the bits where they lost data from Mike Collin's rib cage electrodes, to check his respiration, and he commented that they would know, when he stopped breathing.. ! Also when Buzz - on the ladder, turned around to close the hatch and said he needed to make sure he didn't lock them both out.. ! A brilliant and historic disc everyone should own. The long sequence tracking the craft back up from the Moon to dock with Mike Collins is just fabulous,too btw.

Forgot to mention the sound of the slo mo rocket launch - WOW !

Sounds like Cas is transmitting from the bog, hmm oddsfish. :confused:

Hi Ed,

Do you have plans to review the Audeze Möbius Bluetooth headphones? Many think it is currently the best sounding Bluetooth headphone for both Movies and Gaming.

Good podcast guys.

The Planets.
OK if you don't watch much of that kind of stuff it was pretty good. But there has been a lot of other docs on BBC/Channel 4 which covered pretty well everything and probably in better detail.
Glossed over the cores of the planets to some degree.
I did learn one thing you pronounce Saturn as Satuurrrrn.
As far as these docs goes visuals over content was the name of the game but I guess that is a good way to get a large audience.

Must see TV -
'The real Chernobyl'

With so many people having watched the HBO/Sky production (and it was excellent) this ties in with it.
It does demonstrate the writers/directors creative license. Not least they had one of the guys who went down to turn the water off being interviewed!! If you watched the series you thought all their next trips would be to a concrete covered hole.
Great interviews with relatives and survives from all levels of the incident.

If you watch the text scroll bit at the end of the last episode it actually mentions that contrary to many reports at the time all three of the men who went in to open the water valves actually survived after hospitalisation and that two are still alive today.

Are there any plans to review the Vizio 36” Home Cinema System 5.1.2 Channel with Dolby Atmos?

Are there any plans to review the Vizio 36” Home Cinema System 5.1.2 Channel with Dolby Atmos?
I have asked Steve to review this, it will not be in July though.

Just listened to the AG8 review. Its a bit off telling us to buy the AF8 instead when all that is left around are typically ex displays or returns, or stock at some dubious supplier. I went out to buy an AF8 several weeks ago and couldn't find one new in a box with a good guarantee, eg from Richer Sounds or John Lewis. So I went for the AG8.
It isn't a £1k saving either as the AF8 when found as a return is around £1400, whilst you can buy the AG8 now for £1999 as it is typically £300 off already., so that is a £600 difference on the 55" set.

Why are you running the set on the android it came with, when an over the air update is due at any time, and it is a quick and easy job to manually update to the latest android system, which will be more representative for future owners of this tv?

The new system is much faster and it hasn't crashed once since I installed it. It is simpler and better presented on the screen too. All the apps I want are quick to use.

One issue though is Youview. When that is enabled the tv can no longer record, and when in use I found the picture quality poor. It also puts icons on the screen which may eventually cause an issue with screen burn? I have disabled this and gone for the standard freeview guide which is much faster to load and respond. Recording is now available again. I have two pvrs as well, and record much of what I watch in advance, and this is much better quality than the youview picture.
One issue with Sony though is that you can't pause a programme when using the tv tuner; this is a major shortcoming when watching a programme and say the phone rings and you can't just pause. You have to go through a sequence to start recording it instead, and then find the place you had got to when interrupted.

I do like the feature on bbc though where the green button gives you the option to go back to the start of a programme when you find somethin interesting, or just want to watch all the news. Shame about the bbc icon again though.

Lots of complaints about the remote appearance and feel. It seems fine to me and a big improvement over my previous Samsung set and remote, although that was nearly 5 years iold.

Just listened to the AG8 review. Its a bit off telling us to buy the AF8 instead
If you can find one and a quick look around online shows stock at certain retailers, then I didn't feel the upgrade was worth it to the AG8 vs. the AF8. The remote is terrible and Android ships in version 7 which is not acceptable in my opinion. I know you can do the USB update, but how many consumers will feel comfortable or able to do that? AVF members will take it in their stride, but you can't just dismiss other users i.e. 85% of the remaining market.
It looks like you are enjoying your TV and I understand the need to comment when you feel a review doesn't quite match your experience, or what you think is acceptable. But I have no bias and have to assess based on the TVs peers which not everyone can do through demos in dealers and so on, so what you get is me benchmarking on what we have here and what we have tested from others vs. the reviewed product in question.
If you like your TV then that's all that matters and thanks for feeding back your thoughts. Every user has different needs and expectations and as a reviewer, I have to try and cover as many use cases as possible for the broadest audience possible.
Cheers.

Regarding War & Peace, Criterion UK aren't releasing it as they could not get some of the horse trips through the BBFC uncut. They come down quite hard on animal injury and cruelty and justly so. There's yer dinner @Steve Withers!

Surprised at the lack of Scott Adkins love! He's a absolute machine and one of our most undervalued actors. Check out the straight to video action/art house mash up that it the incredible Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning. It's like Gasper Noe made an Expendables movie.

I just finished watching Apollo 11 and I took me back to being 5 years old watching live with my Dad (yes I'm older than Steve Withers I think!) especially the upside down TV pictures which I can still remember.

The restored footage was fantastic plus the small details were fascinating inc the fashion, the cars, the lack of any fat people (or at least Obese people) and the Omega Speedmaster's on the astronaut's wrists.

The message of a world united and striving for peace may have a political dimension and may not have been entirely true as America was bombing Vietnam at the time, but there did seem to be an optimism and positivity that is in short supply today.

Did anyone spot the non NASA company logos on the overalls of technicians etc. Is that company still going it wasn't a logo I'm familiar with?

I saw Neil Armstrong at a work event in the late 80's and he was fairly quiet and restrained but what they all achieved still gives me goose bumps.

Surprised at the lack of Scott Adkins love! He's a absolute machine and one of our most undervalued actors. Check out the straight to video action/art house mash up that it the incredible Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning. It's like Gasper Noe made an Expendables movie.

Absolutely rate Day of Reckoning; never thought I'd see the Universal Soldier series attempt a (successful!) riff on Apocalypse Now. Those two last US sequels (Regeneration and Reckoning) are real DTV gems.

I just finished watching Apollo 11 and I took me back to being 5 years old watching live with my Dad (yes I'm older than Steve Withers I think!) especially the upside down TV pictures which I can still remember.

The restored footage was fantastic plus the small details were fascinating inc the fashion, the cars, the lack of any fat people (or at least Obese people) and the Omega Speedmaster's on the astronaut's wrists.

The message of a world united and striving for peace may have a political dimension and may not have been entirely true as America was bombing Vietnam at the time, but there did seem to be an optimism and positivity that is in short supply today.

Did anyone spot the non NASA company logos on the overalls of technicians etc. Is that company still going it wasn't a logo I'm familiar with?

I saw Neil Armstrong at a work event in the late 80's and he was fairly quiet and restrained but what they all achieved still gives me goose bumps.
It was eye-opening how white and male everyone was as well. That shot of a female NASA employee at the launch briefing really stood out. I'm the proud owner of an Omega Speedmaster. I met Buzz Aldrin at a book signing a couple of years ago. He signed my book and shook my hand. It was amazing to actually meet someone who had walked on the moon. There are only four moon walkers left now. The non-NASA company logo was North American Rockwell, who actually built the command module. You see the same logo on the backs of some of the overalls at the end of Close Encounters when the mothership lands.

Last edited:
Agree with Scott Adkins comments, he's in quite a few things hanging around in the background so its about time he got some more lime light.

Also Batman and Batman Returns was a brilliant remaster. It looks excellent.

Must see TV -
'The real Chernobyl'

With so many people having watched the HBO/Sky production (and it was excellent) this ties in with it.
It does demonstrate the writers/directors creative license. Not least they had one of the guys who went down to turn the water off being interviewed!! If you watched the series you thought all their next trips would be to a concrete covered hole.
I know a bloke from Pripyat who counted 17 mistakes on the fingers of one hand.

Agree with Scott Adkins comments, he's in quite a few things hanging around in the background so its about time he got some more lime light.

Also Batman and Batman Returns was a brilliant remaster. It looks excellent.

I watched him in Avengement last week and loved it

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom