00:00:27 - What happened this week?
00:06:50 - Current Competitions
00:13:04 - Steve reviews the LG SL9YG Soundbar
00:19:45 - Ed reviews the B&W Foundation Wedge
00:28:07 - Films released this week?
00:28:47 - 4K and Blu-ray disc releases this week
00:32:12 - Streaming releases this week
00:35:04 - TV shows of the month - July
00:44:43 - Is the NETFLIX business model doomed?
01:02:24 - Fast & Furious: Hobbs & Shaw review - with spoilers and plot discussion.
01:20:28 - Goodbyes

Presented by Phil Hinton with Ed Selley, Cas Harlow and Steve Withers

Note:
If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Time: 01:21:25 | File Size: 168mb | Direct Link

Top podcast as ever chaps. Can't say I've ever been interested in the F&F franchise but enjoyed the banter.

Steve - there's actually one more season (7) of Agents of SHIELD to come but that's confirmed as the last. Shame the Netflix Marvel shows have been arbitrarily declared as not part of the MCU but not unsurprising...business is business I suppose.

Ironically, the later F&F films leave me cold compared to the first 3. The first ones were essentially jazzed-up B-Movies with some cool cars & stunts, capturing a slice of that late 90s ricer culture.

The new ones have all the budget and a good selection of talent, yet somehow end up being just a bombastic, artless mess.

I think the current “franchise” is summed up by that god-awful, mawkish Wiz Khalifa song that arrived with Fast 7. An moron’s idea of heartfelt ballad, destined to be played forever at thick people’s funerals.

I believe the TV show that Steve alluded to where the actor died from a blank fire was Cover Up and the actor in question was John Eric Hexum

Top podcast as always, salivating at the F&F / John Wick R rated mashup

Steve - there's actually one more season (7) of Agents of SHIELD to come but that's confirmed as the last. Shame the Netflix Marvel shows have been arbitrarily declared as not part of the MCU but not unsurprising...business is business I suppose.
Thanks, I realised after the recording that there's another series to go.

I believe the TV show that Steve alluded to where the actor died from a blank fire was Cover Up and the actor in question was John Eric Hexum
That's the guy and show, I think the theme tune was Holding Out for a Hero.

Is the NETFLIX business model doomed?
I don’t expect so. Obviously with additional streaming services planned by Disney, CBS, Apple and perhaps HBO go international it will mean Netflix having a smaller percentage of the market.

It doesn’t matter so much that they struggle to profit, just like Amazon took 10+ years to break even. More importantly is that the Company Market Value remains high and increases.

Also greater competition gives Netflix more freedom to do what they want otherwise they become a politically scrutinised monopoly, which is the defining road to destruction.

Personally i think there is room for a higher picture/audio improvement [25mbps instead of the rubbish audio being pushed into 2.15 to 15.125mbps]. The makers of Stranger Things are unhappy about the audio quality Netflix pushed out.

As for the rumoured AD version offering at a lower priced tier, this is model that could work and be accepted in certain Countries, but not here.

For me the Fast and the Furious and the Mission Impossible series are the 2 best movie franchises out there currently - both very similar to me oddly and both just excellent entertainment - in my mind they provide what a Bond film should - and sadly doesn’t currently - looking forward to the next instalment of both

Love @Phil Hinton's editing on what @Casimir Harlow has been up to.

Cas - "And saw..."
Phil - "Right, so exciting stuff happening..."

:)

Sorry guys, loved the podcast, but cannot see the love for the F&F franchise. I'm like Phil, never seen it, but just don't get "the joke" about it that Phil said you need to get into. I started to watch one of them, no idea which but they were crossing the US/Mexico boarder and just couldn't get into it.

As for best TV check out Blown Away on Netflix. I challenge anyone to make it through an episode with a straight face whenever glory holes gets a mention.....which is a lot.

But some amazing end results.

The new B&W range is just far too expensive. As Ed said, I can only see these being sold in Harrods or Selfridges. The expense to get them to be anything useful gets you spending some serious dough and I just don't the advantages of buying these over other and better solutions.

I don't think Netflix is going anywhere. While Disney+ sounds good on paper, I'm not clear on how Disney will use it. I don't see them making a Drive to Survive, or any number of drama series on NF like Stranger Things, or some of the excellent food programs (Chef Show is ace), or a show that mentions Glory Holes without a hint of tongue in cheek (sorry bad choice of words). And there is still a tonne of non Disney shows to buy up. While they have shifted towards their own content, I think Disney+ might change that ratio again.

I still fear content differences between the US and UK for D+ in which case if you cannot get around this via the usual DNS routes which still works for me for NF, then there is no way I'm subbing.

Oh yeah and bear/bare?? in mind a Home Alone remake is being made for Disney+

Disney thinks that's a good way to promote their new streaming service.

Last edited:
I was wondering what's the general opinion on the series Dark on Netflix?
I'm in the middle of the second season after watching the first season for the second time (to refresh my memory).

I love it and at the moment it is my favourite TV series.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom