AVForums Podcast: Episode 272 - 12th August 2019

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
00:00:19 - What have the team done this week?
00:09:06 - Current Competitions
00:11:03 - Steve reviews the Sennheiser Ambeo Soundbar
00:22:47 - Phil reviews the BenQ W2700 4K DLP Projector
00:34:53 - Ed reviews the Naim Mu-So 2nd Generation
00:42:18 - Cinema releases this week
00:50:33 - 4K and Blu-ray disc releases this week
00:54:33 - Films that we would like to see made
01:13:16 - Goodbyes

Presented by Phil Hinton with Steve Withers and Ed Selley

Note:
If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Time: 01:14:20 | File Size: 143mb | Direct Link

Hi, does anyone know if there is an issue with the podcast feed to Acast? This is my go to app for podcasts, but the last AVForums podcast on there is the one from 29th July. Thanks in advance

Movie idea would be based on a play called Red Noses by Peter Barnes. It is a comedy about the Black Death It depicted a sprightly priest, who travelled around the plague affected villages of 14th century France with a band of fools, known as Floties, offering holy assistance.....an awesome play with a very good message I think could work as a film

Last edited:
When is the review off the GZ1500 going to drop?

GZ1500 review will be later today. The C9 and E9 haven't even been delivered to me yet, so you have a bit of a wait for those. Was supposed to have a GZ2000 two weeks ago, but its all gone silent on that one with no delivery yet. I can't review TVs if we don't have them.
A Sony AG9 was delivered today, so that will take around two weeks and the C9 is supposed to land on Wednesday, so again, two weeks for any review from that point.
I also have a Panasonic GX800 review being published this week. A Samsung Q85R is currently going through the last tests and a Hisense will follow that, before the AG9 and C9.

GZ1500 review will be later today. The C9 and E9 haven't even been delivered to me yet, so you have a bit of a wait for those. Was supposed to have a GZ2000 two weeks ago, but its all gone silent on that one with no delivery yet. I can't review TVs if we don't have them.
A Sony AG9 was delivered today, so that will take around two weeks and the C9 is supposed to land on Wednesday, so again, two weeks for any review from that point.
I also have a Panasonic GX800 review being published this week. A Samsung Q85R is currently going through the last tests and a Hisense will follow that, before the AG9 and C9.

Thanks phil want to upgrade to a 4K TV by year end but undecided on which model.

Great podcast as usual folks. Made my heavily delayed trip home much more bearable.

I have seen the John Delorean film and it is pretty good. Such a good story to be told, it really shouldn’t fail. Alec Baldwin turning up as him, after the initial shock is okay and only used sparingly. Worth a watch.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks Phil looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the Samsung 85R - that's been on my shortlist mainly due to the reductions I can get through my work...
Took the plunge on the Benq w2700 last week after months of circling the epson 9400w but the size of that kit and the cost pushed me towards the Benq - only tested it on a few films/Ps4 and it's pretty impressive so far - happy camper:)

I purchased a tv cabinet as a first step which will allow the Ambeo bar to sit lower than the wallmounted tv.

My AF9 has eArc which I think is important for the Ambeo Bar.

4AB27702-3291-4E2C-9FF1-769301CB4494.jpeg

The Ambeo bar is being sold for £2,049 from Richer Sounds and Sevenoaks if you ask. Although price ticket is still at RRP of £2,199.

At least a £150 saving, which is a decent restaurant meal for two - excluding drinks.

Nice Cabinet - can I ask where it came from ? Thanks
Dunelm. I spent ages deciding on it specifically for purpose of holding the Ambeo bar. Also, it comes assembled and they even unboxed it for me, placed under the tv. £175 with delivery. Awesome.

Made for the Ambeo bar.

Dunelm. I spent ages deciding on it specifically for purpose of holding the Ambeo bar. Also, it comes assembled and they even unboxed it for me, placed under the tv. £175 with delivery. Awesome.

Made for the Ambeo bar.

Very good value like it

Great podcast, just caught up thank you all.

I do like the sound of the Ambeo bar, but ideally would like to see it set up in the wild to see if it would pass the "partner/wife" test

Great podcast, just caught up thank you all.

I do like the sound of the Ambeo bar, but ideally would like to see it set up in the wild to see if it would pass the "partner/wife" test

I just ordered it - arriving tomorrow.

I told my imaginary wife ‘Susan’ that the Ambeo bar is a plant holder.
It makes Ambeo music which are positively good vibrations to encourage plant growth and plant happiness.

In addition you can play audio from TV, which is an additional feature they just added.
10F1E927-0F8F-4D5E-9BBD-94E10170B570.jpeg

This buys me some time until wife checks bank statement. I must hide the frying pan which still has a dent from when I got the OLED TV.

Divorce imminent.

I recommend installing latest firmware which was released yesterday and doing another calibration before reviewing the Ambeo Bar.

From Sennheiser website:
Perform a new room calibration after you updated the AMBEO Soundbar to version 1.0.16.
implemented the following:
 Solved lip-synchronization problems in HDMI ARC input for some TV models
 Solved bug with multi-channel PCM content via Apple TV 4K
 Improved (reduced) processing time for PCM audio signals for all inputs
 Google Chromecast built-in safety update (version 1.40)
 Google Chromecast built-in additional bug fixes
 HDMI eARC and HDMI CEC bug fixes
 Improved connection to the Smart Control app
 Minor additional bug fixes

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom