AVForums Podcast: Episode 273 - 19th August 2019

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
00:01:23 - What have we done this week?
00:05:37 - Current Competitions
00:08:12 - Ed reviews the AKG Y500 NC Headphones
00:14:21 - Phil gives us his thoughts on the Sharp I7652 & Samsung Q85R LCD TVs - plus we discuss measurements vs expectations.
00:37:06 - Steve reviews the Klipsch BAR 48 soundbar
00:48:55 - Apocalypse Now: The Final Cut review
00:58:50 - Blinded by the Light review
01:01:12 - Films released while the podcast is away
01:06:32 - 4K and Blu-ray releases while the podcast is away
01:15:10 - Streaming releases while the podcast is away
01:15:57 - Star Wars news and rumour
01:21:11 - SPOILER REVIEW - Once Upon a Time in...Hollywood
01:45:32 - Goodbyes

Presented by Phil Hinton with Steve Withers, Ed Selley and Cas Harlow

The podcast returns on the 9th of September 2019

Note:
If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Time: 01:46:28 | File Size: 218mb | Direct Link

A suggestion for future podcasts – please continue with the spoiler reviews at the end of the podcast – it’s a great addition!

Absolutely loved Once Upon a Time in Hollywood! Bloody love the soundtrack and driving scenes. The humour was spot on, with great comedic moments from Leo especially (bleeping Hippies!). It must win the production design Oscar, with Leo and Brad a lock for at least acting nominations. I have not had a bigger smile on my face watching a movie in the cinema for a long time.

There are still some old-school original content directors/writers apart from Scorsese and Tarantino. These spring to mind: Christopher Nolan, Paul Thomas Anderson and Denis Villeneuve.

Last edited:
Great bumper-length show, enjoying the in-depth reviews, good to analyse big films “as they happen”.

Nice to see a budget TV getting the Phil treatment. As you say, this is for those who just want maximum screen size for the money, and aren’t bothered by wide colour gamuts or dynamic metadata. Would be keen to see a comparison between the first tier of Dolby Vision sets from Panasonic etc. I’m sure you can make room for them :laugh:

A5CAF3E0-CAA4-44A9-8404-3E17F6ECA9F4.jpeg
I am listening on my Watch. Sorry about hairy wrist photo [not looking for sympathy for this condition].

On the DVDs coming out section - Dragged across concrete - was mentioned - I would strongly recommend this. Also off subject but knowing Steve is a fan of The Abyss (as I am) has he seen the trailer for Underwater yet ? Similar sort of film - I liked the trailer

On the DVDs coming out section - Dragged across concrete - was mentioned - I would strongly recommend this. Also off subject but knowing Steve is a fan of The Abyss (as I am) has he seen the trailer for Underwater yet ? Similar sort of film - I liked the trailer
I did, and it piqued my interest.

Does anyone purchase Blu Ray DVD’s from Amazon? Now that I have a decent Soundbar with DTS X - I was thinking about purchasing a Blu Ray player and some movies which are [Atmos + HDR].

If you want hdr u need a UHD Blu-ray player (and UHD discs) in which case you can't go wrong with the Panasonic line. Just do a bit of research regarding features and buy the one that's within your budget

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom