AVForums Podcast: Episode 274 - 9th September 2019

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
00:00:00 - Sponsor Message
00:01:02 - What has the team done this week?
00:13:32 - Current Competitions
00:16:48 - IFA 2019 Show Report
00:51:57 - Ed's Album, Vinyl and Playlist of August
00:58:51 - Film of the month - August
01:02:58 - Films released this week
01:06:24 - 4K & Blu-ray discs of the month - August
01:12:01 - 4K & Blu-ray disc releases this week
01:16:29 - Streaming releases this week
01:18:03 - Best TV shows of the month
01:30:58 - Goodbyes

Presented by Phil Hinton with Cas Harlow, Ed Selley and Stephen Withers

Note:
If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Time: 01:31:48 | File Size: 176mb | Direct Link

Last edited:
Cheap Hot Dogs = chicken beaks, brain, claws, eyes
Enjoy :rotfl:
OH so you have the premium hotdogs. Posh git.

Also before I get any further into the podcast, can everyone PLEASE stop promoting North West Scotland and the islands. Well except the whisky ones since they are already beyond saving. The tourists can keep them.

OH so you have the premium hotdogs. Posh git.

I dunno about posh I just don't like the idea of mashed up chicken made to taste like pork :eek:

10 Herta Hot Dogs =£1.70
  • Pork (74.5%),
  • Water,
  • Pork Fat,
  • Lactose (Milk),
  • Salt,
  • Milk Proteins,
  • Wheat Fibre,
  • Yeast,
  • Flavourings (Celery, Wheat),
  • Pea Protein,
  • Dextrose,
  • Colours (Carmine, Paprika Extract),
  • Preservative (Sodium Nitrite),
  • Antioxidant (Sodium Erythorbate),
  • Lactic Acid Culture,
  • Natural Beechwood Smoke

8 Ye Old Oak Hot Dogs = £0.80
Hotdogs: Chicken (Mechanically Separated) (50%), Water, Pork (13%), Starch, Chicken Skin, Beef Collagen Casing, Salt, Smoke Flavouring, Spices, Bay Leaves, Preservative (E250), Spice Extract, Brine: Water

Great show guys, IFA seems to be a bit of an irrelevance these days, but at least Philips put on a good show. A branded OLED with all the bits for less than a grand in January perhaps?

For fans of Mindhunter, there is a show on Netflix from 2017 called “Manhunt: The Unabomber” which is a 9-episode miniseries all about how they tracked down the Unabomber using forensic linguistics (an offshoot of the FBI Behavioural Analysis unit). It’s a bit playful with the truth, and quite procedural, but it has some great performances, particularly a chilling Paul Bettany as Ted Kascynski.

There actually was a band called XYZ, their best track probably being "Face Down In the Gutter". Steve would like the video content, Ed will hate the music, but it might be apt played on 11 out of Phil's brightly coloured Mustang.

Great podcast guys, amusing as ever!

Looking forward to the future guests (Spears & Munsil) / calibration pod as well as the Disney + discussion, really up for that sub but assuming deals with Sky are delaying the UK’s implementation...

I’d like to know (in the future calibration pod) if anyone has tried the calman home user autocal on the 2018/9 sets and if it’s any good (compared to professional manual / automated version using pattern generator etc)
I appreciate you pay for a calibrators time/experience/tools (and will get an overall better result if they can also look at the full chain/audio too) but very interested to know if the new Calman home process works (or at least does a decent job) as I like to dabble but don’t have a pattern generator.
Also, thoughts on calibrating HDR/DV (again, I appreciate nobody wants to give all their secrets away)
I’ve been happy calibrating SDR over the years, but haven’t really tampered with HDR (maybe time to invest with the Spears & Musil disc)

Thanks

Last edited:
Great show guys, IFA seems to be a bit of an irrelevance these days, but at least Philips put on a good show. A branded OLED with all the bits for less than a grand in January perhaps?
You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment...
For fans of Mindhunter, there is a show on Netflix from 2017 called “Manhunt: The Unabomber” which is a 9-episode miniseries all about how they tracked down the Unabomber using forensic linguistics (an offshoot of the FBI Behavioural Analysis unit). It’s a bit playful with the truth, and quite procedural, but it has some great performances, particularly a chilling Paul Bettany as Ted Kascynski.
Agreed, it's an excellent miniseries.

Great to have you back chaps. Entertaining as always. Looking forward to the calibration discussion.

Manhunt: Unabomber has been on my list for a while, I'll have to get on that.

@Phil Hinton you commented that the Wild Rose prize on DVD was retro, unfortunately it's the only format it's getting a physical release on. It's what appears to be an increasing trend
The growing number of films that are getting a release on DVD, but not Blu-ray | Film Stories
I was looking forward to Beats, but I'm not putting up with DVD.

I am not going to select a LIKE or something else positive as there was no Telephone List for the Help Groups, which was referred to in the beginning of the Podcast.

Thanks gents, good to hear you all again. I can assure you I did not skip the first 20 mins.

Cas should have checked various YouTube videos about removing stumps. Copious amounts of diesel and a naked flame frequently feature.

Can't see the point of the AV element of IFA with CES being so close and clearly the time when manufacturers wish to announce new products.

Can't see the point of the AV element of IFA with CES being so close and clearly the time when manufacturers wish to announce new products.

I like IFA. It's in Berlin (which is cool). It's huge but fundamentally in one place (unlike CES) and- best of all- it has acres of white goods. White goods being demonstrated by ladies;

Cake time by ejselley, on Flickr
fNW5Y5

IFA needs so many promo people that if companies aren't fast enough, they wind up having to pay through the nose for the sort of people who are normally used to help sell planes and yachts. From memory, this lady was called Nina. She spoke four languages fluently and had done stints with Airbus helping to flog airliners at the Paris Airshow. Bosch was paying her a fortune to bake cakes in their fancy new oven.

the bb3 still, or is it The Fresh Prince of Big Momma's House :)

Great Podcast as usual , especially when walking the dog !

Ed , love the fact you have found J Dilla .

If anyone loves donuts check his production work on A Tribe Called Quest , Common , Slum Village etc a super talented producer that made hip hop better by his presence.

If you love instrumentals the best instrumental album is the first Pete Rock instrumental Album “Petestrumentals’ the best album on BBE .

Best track on album !!!

Have to agree with Ed

I loved HyperDrive but Mindhunter comes out on top for me

Cheers Ed for the hyperdrive tip it's superb, binged it over 3 days.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom