00:37:12 - Michell & Johnson close due to Brexit
00:46:42 - What is Filmmaker mode?
01:05:30 - Movie news - This week's cinema releases
01:10:35 - 4K & Blu-ray disc releases this week
01:17:59 - Streaming releases this week
01:18:46 - Disney+ and the fragmentation of streaming services
01:37:19 - Goodbyes

Presented by Phil Hinton with Ed Selley, Steve Withers and Mark Botwright

Note: If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Time: 01:38:18 | File Size: 176mb | Direct Link

Last edited:
Thanks for the podcast guys, always a brilliant start to the week.

Is it still planned that the podcast will be posted to the home page (I always found that a really useful heads up when a new edition is uploaded)?
I can’t seem to find the Podcast quick link under the Editorial Tab, unless I’ve missed it (more than possible)? It just made finding the podcast section a bit more of a dig than before?

Thanks again :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Great show my dudes. Ed doing his Rowley Birkin QC impression was most enjoyable.

Good chat about the streaming services, hopefully we will be spared the worst of the fragmentation as we don’t have the US networks here. If I can have amazon (£8 inc with prime), Netflix (£9), Disney+ (£10 ??) and Britbox/iPlayer (£10) there should be plenty there to keep me going.

Unlike Steve, the effect this has had is that I rarely buy a disc, particularly not new releases at full whack. Probably £20 a month saved on that for the last few years.

I also long for Monkey Dust to be released, although you can at least get the first series on DVD, and certain later episodes on iTunes. I blame Mr Hoppy.

Service sharing is the greatest thing about streaming. I go halves for Netflix premium, share my BT Sport sub and get Now TV and Sky Go in return. The poorest subs are All 4 and iTV hub they just remove the ads for £4 per month and the quality is poor. Amazon Prime has not improved much in two years. I will try Apple TV+ on launch but it looks sparse content wise.

The solution I use for finding the right service to watch a film or series is Just Watch app ( It's on Android and Apple devices)
Just select which services you have at the start and then search. It will show you which service it's on, and also which online purchase is cheapest in SD, HD, or 4K.

Made my life so much easier when the kids want to watch another minions based film or Shrek 😄

It seems to me that film/TV services seem to be going through the same growing pains the music industry did some 15 years ago, when they all wanted to setup their own services. I can but hope that one day we'll have a TV/film version of Spotify. Pay one amount and get access to pretty much anything. Now then, how much would that be worth a month ?

Ed doing his Rowley Birkin QC impression was most enjoyable.
:laugh: I was going to say a similar thing.

Great podcast as always guys.

My current streaming plan is to stick with Netflix and Amazon and maybe get Disney for a month or so as and when the content arrives. I'm happy to wait for a weekly released series to be all on there and binge when the full series is on there. The Mandalorian is going to be an interesting challenge to my patience, will see what people think of it though.

Is it still planned that the podcast will be posted to the home page (I always found that a really useful heads up when a new edition is uploaded)?
I can’t seem to find the Podcast quick link under the Editorial Tab, unless I’ve missed it (more than possible)? It just made finding the podcast section a bit more of a dig than before?

Thanks again :thumbsup:
Yes, it is further down the list of must fix issues after the move to XF2 but it should be available today and going forward. Thanks.

You've just made me stop eating my cola bottles and check the packet for a warning

I can rely on a 'Steve' story to make me burst out laughing in the office

01:20:24 "Taking the Mickey"...... Disney+.... I see what you did there! ;)

I'll probably be in the minority but the more streaming services the better!

For years everyone has moaned that there were a million channels that they were paying for but never watched, so we are at the stage where the individual services are available, where people can be savvy with their money, sub up to watch the specific content that they want and yet people are complaining about this? Sorry, just don't get it.

I see Sky, Virgin and BT TV as such an archaic way of watching content these days. Our house uses an Apple TV 4K with a combo of the UK catch up services and Netflix which is more than enough for us given the limited time we have to even watch TV these days. Had Amazon Prime - found their wasn't enough content and didn't use the deliveries that much so cancelled. Got a year's Entertainment pass for NOW TV last November in a Black Friday deal which worked out to £3.75 a month but will cancel that as well. We'll be subbing up to AppleTV+ and Disney+ due to their initial low prices and see how we get on. If it's not good value (although what Disney will be churning out and what they have available I see us keeping that), then we'll cancel those as well.

You just need to be diligent with your purchases.

Having got rid of Sky a couple of years ago, I can't ever see me going back.

I thought id read that Plex which is one of the best interfaces out there imo is planning to bring all these services under one roof which is one of the things you discussed on the Podcast this week.

Great podcast guys.

Eds excitement with regard to the Nad streamer got me online to check out their AV Receiver, the 778 looks like a nice bit of kit!

I'm hoping we do get HBO, if we do, SKY (Atlantic) are in trouble, again Disney is going to hurt them too, maybe they will finally (as promised 2 years ago) up their Now tv to 1080P, mad they haven't got there yet!
I can see Netflix being in trouble too as everyone joins the bandwagon, I commend them for leading the way in UHD/HDR, but as their prices rise and their content remains the same (very average with a few excellent shows - and in fairness, those few shows keep me subscribing), unless they all agree to charge high prices, they cant all survive.
So far, the vast majority of Netflix's own productions have done some serious damaged to Cas ;)

Once a Sky household, we are now a Freesat/Netflix/Prime household.
Moving forward, we will purchase Disney for the kids and may drop Netflix on quiet months but will not be subscribing to them all. If they start annual subs like prime, its going to be difficult a choice.

Yeah good one this week, I am sure the picture of the shed is an optical illusion. I can't get my head round the shelving which seems equally wonky.. Yes thanks Steve ! no sympathy for your very graphic sugar free sweets... Images that I will take to the grave.
And on the streaming side of things who apart for Cas actually could watch all those streaming services. I can't keep up with Netflix never mind multiply services. I do agree with Ed that you can only spread it so thin before you need to draw customers back in..... price wise... I think deep pockets will unfortunately win out in the end. Giving Kermode and Mayo's Wittertainment a good run for their money....

Great to hear some love for Red Letter Media.

there are many issues driving people to piracy I agree thats becoming more of a convenience issue than price but also quality is also getting in the way now for some people.

I personally hate blurays but its the ony way to consume my media at max quality so I rip them as soon as I get them and then pass them onto my Dad who still prefers to watch from his player and now has an enormous collection. However I now have nearly 40TB of ripped movies and TV shows on my server but this is how I prefer it, using KODI DS / MADVR I have instant access to everything I own to watch at the absolute best quality.

I have in the past signed up for Amazon, netflix and others but found stream quality so bad on 200meg virgin connection / lg oled i ended up downloading a better copy from torrents and watching it from there, I had no guilt about doing that as i'd already paid my subscription.

I was hoping apple TV would be the way to go, quality seems to be good but it doesnt look like that are going to have everything either, i'll probably stick to blurays until they stop, which may not be that far off in the future.

Another thing that really annoys me about streaming is the lack of bandwidth vs quality choices, i'd much rather watch something in 1080p with zero compression than in 4k with chunky compression artefacts and banding, there are no options anywhere were you can do this.

00:00:38 - What have we done this week?
00:19:15 - Current Competitions
00:21:07 - Ed reviews the NAD C10 all-in-one system
00:29:33 - Steve reviews the Panasonic HTB900 Soundbar
00:37:12 - Michell & Johnson close due to Brexit
00:46:42 - What is Filmmaker mode?
01:05:30 - Movie news - This week's cinema releases
01:10:35 - 4K & Blu-ray disc releases this week
01:17:59 - Streaming releases this week
01:18:46 - Disney+ and the fragmentation of streaming services
01:37:19 - Goodbyes

Presented by Phil Hinton with Ed Selley, Steve Withers and Mark Botwright

Note: If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Time: 01:38:18 | File Size: 176mb | Direct Link

Quick correction Phil - it's the NAD M10, not C10. I say this having just searched for the C10 with fairly bad results!

Quick correction Phil - it's the NAD M10, not C10. I say this having just searched for the C10 with fairly bad results!

Careless searching for nads on the internet never ends well.

If the rumours are correct, the new Electric Mustang should blow the New Porsche Taycan out of the water and make Tesla look like something for the kids to use in the garden, which means they are sticking to the Mustang heritage and just bringing it into the 21st century.

Oh and another great podcast as well.

Bill

Thanks @Steve Withers for the heads up on Waterloo, just off to Amazon.de to order it.

So many moments that let me know I am so happy that I moved to Germany
A Saturn 800m from where I live
Will order it online & pick it up when in
:)

Will filmmaker mode be the default setting on any TV's or will you still have to select it to activate it? If it's not the default then most consumers won't use it.

I think your predictions of Sky going under first are way off the mark. Unless a streaming service wins 3/4 of the Premier League football rights this won't happen. Sky still have 12.5 million subscribers according to Wikipedia.

Thanks gents and I agreed with your observations around the future of streaming services. Sky Cinema will be first we jettison here at £10/month, especially when Disney end their contract with Sky. We will retain Netflix and Amazon Prime, the former for its content and quality, the later for retail element. Illegal streaming maybe the future for many, swapping their subscriptions to VPN services instead.

Will filmmaker mode be the default setting on any TV's or will you still have to select it to activate it? If it's not the default then most consumers won't use it.

I think your predictions of Sky going under first are way off the mark. Unless a streaming service wins 3/4 of the Premier League football rights this won't happen. Sky still have 12.5 million subscribers according to Wikipedia.

Don't be surprised to see the Premier League decide to create their own OTT service in the future - they'd be mad not to.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom