00:17:01 - Spears and Munsil Interview
01:22:26 - Ad Astra Review
01:28:03 - Steve reviews Hustlers & Rambo Last Blood
01:36:14 - This week's cinema releases
01:39:24 - 4K & Blu-ray disc releases this week
01:40:53 - Streaming releases this week
01:45:55 - Goodbyes

Presented by Phil Hinton with Cas Harlow, Ed Selley and Steve Withers

Note: If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Time: 01:46:44 | File Size: 204mb | Direct Link

Great podcast, as always. Big thanks to Stacey & Don for taking the time. It was extremely interesting and informative :thumbsup:

Re Rambo V: The story that they went for actually was the original idea pitched for Rambo IV before they decided to go for the Burma setting. I'm still not sure if I'll go to the cinema or wait for the disc...

So, where can I now submit my 3489 hours of review suggestions for Cas? :laugh:

Coo you and all things bottoms Count W. Last week botty probs eating sweeties and now botty comments again. Without sounding too solipsistic may I refer you to my comments on last weeks podcast which alludes to the same type of problems when in my own employ some years ago. :rolleyes: Also if you wish to see my luverly mug there are two videos on the subwoofer thread with reference to my visit to REL's HQ in California. What a bloody waste of time. 🤬 Luv LT.

Addendum: Since the changes to the forums my name has ended up with my "n" plonked separately underneath... Hmmph. 👀

Last edited:
Apple pod still failing, was available this morning, but didn't work, so deleted it and has never appeared since :( listening via YouTube

Is Fart Man Sniffer's arch nemesis? Looking forward to Cas's upcoming review of season 3 of Sniffer and his review of the other 2 preceding seasons.

Apple pod still failing, was available this morning, but didn't work, so deleted it and has never appeared since :( listening via YouTube

Working and accessible here. No issues at all accessing the podcast via Apple's podcast service. I'm using the podacst app on an iOS iPad.

Last edited:
Is Fart Man Sniffer's arch nemesis?

Working and accessible here. No issues at all accessing the podcast via Apple's podcast service. I'm using the podacst app on an iOS iPad.

not sure if its IOS 13 playing up, I unsubscribed, deleted all and searched for AVF again, I can now see Sept 23rd available.
Of course I re-subscribed:lesson:
looking forward to the guests interview!

Absolutely terrific interview with Don and Stacey. Really great to hear video engineers talk about how they do what they do. Also very interesting to hear Don and Stacey’s back story.

The final product shows just how much time, skill and effort has been put into the production of the UHD Benchmark Disc (and previous discs) by everyone involved.

Very nice acknowledgement that no end product is ever perfect, but always good to pursue perfection from an engineering perspective and have a fanatical obsession to detail. That way, something will be the best it can be, and not just ‘good enough’.

More of the same please - the more technical the content, the better!

Regards,
James.

Last edited:
Excellent podcast guys, really enjoyed that.
Fascinating interview with 2 guys that clearly know their stuff, have purchased their disc so looking forward to getting stuck in - glad to hear there are some guides coming.

Loved the banter as usual, even the cracking open of a can in the background - good effort Ed (assuming) !!

Nanosys coming too, happy days, can’t wait to hear their thoughts on QDOled. Will Samsung show it at CES 2020!

interesting and informative podcast, the highlight for me was the difference between enjoying content and becoming OCD over the slightest perceived picture irregularity that leads to constant upgradeitis and often long term dissatisfaction.

I had to get my Kuro 600a KRP media box fixed over the summer to try and get a couple more years out of it, its 11yrs in November! sure there are higher rated TVs and I could comfortably afford to buy any of them but I genuinely still love the picture and image it produces as do my family so why change it? I'm sure its more than been surpassed by loads of TVs now but I see no need to change if I enjoy it, I don't worry about every fine detail and nuance.

One of my favourite memories of watching a TV was back in 1982 when Channel 4 launched and started watching classic French films in Black and White on my 6 inch portable TV, I was totally hooked and the size and lack of colour mattered not at all, in fact I would say they enhanced the experience.

One of my favourite memories of watching a TV was back in 1982 when Channel 4 launched and started watching classic French films in Black and White on my 6 inch portable TV, I was totally hooked and the size and lack of colour mattered not at all, in fact I would say they enhanced the experience.
I remember watching a lot of not-so-classic French films back in '82 thanks to Channel 4's 'red triangle' warning.

I remember getting caught several times by dad with the noise the VCR made (seriously loud) starting a scheduled recording of those french films late at night. “But it’s educational”... clip round the ear ...

What an awesome podcast and interview.

While I knew the Spears and Munsil disc was more than just a bunch of test displays, its amazing to hear how much effort goes into them, how much they changed the calibration world and just how much tech background the guys have.

Great podcast, especially the Stacey Spears and Don Munsil segment. That was truly fascinating. I could listen to them all day and they should have their own podcast!

Lokking forward to seeing the disc manuals. :D

Paul

Last edited:
Loved the technical stuff this week, shows how spoiled we are when it comes to how good (and adjustable) our TVs now are.

Nice to hear how even the experts can still be flummoxed in this world of tone mapping. Source is x, screen is y, magic happens, nice picture!

Just seen the redband trailer for Ready or Not and very intrigued! Looks like a more adult version of Slaughterhouse Rulez which was very dull and ungory (yes that's a word) compared to what I thought it would be. I will say, despite it looking like a "family tradition", it seems everyone in that family is doing this for the 1st time, and badly.

But I'm still wanting to see this.

Excellent podcast and I learnt a lot from the Spears and Munsil interview.

Dolby Vision 4.0 :thumbsdow

Have you considered these interviews being standalone specials that are released when you do not have the normal weekly podcast?

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom