AVForums Podcast - Has OLED reached its peak? 2020 TVs coming soon, film reviews and more - 20/01/2020

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
00:02:21 - What have we done this week?
00:09:25 - Current Competitions
00:12:12 - Has OLED reached its peak, 2020 TVs coming this year, Loewe is back and more
00:43:56 - Film Review: Bad Boys for Life
00:53:57 - Film Review: 1917
01:01:49 - Oscar Nominations
01:09:06 - Films, discs and streaming releases this week
01:14:27 - Spoiler Film Review: Star Wars - The Rise of Skywalker
01:36:15 - Goodbyes

Presented by Phil Hinton with Steve Withers, Cas Harlow and Ed Selley

Note: If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Time: 01:37:14 | File Size: 204mb | Direct Link

1:31:14 what was that sound, it was like someone was either taking a micro sharp intake of breath or a semi mini burp / hiccup? 🤭 Explanation please. 😐

Last edited:
Great podcast.

I dunno if OLED will make it truly mainstream and move huge numbers. A year ago I would have said yes it will but now I'm 50/50. Be interesting to see if you guys are right.

Will Smith will not be happy, age 51 not nearly 60 :laugh:

Talking of spoilers. 1917 I saw 5 minutes of a SKY special this weekend, 5 minutes I wish to delete from memory.

Listening to you guys I'm glad the last Star Wars film I watched was The Phantom Menace back in 1999. My frustration by this point based on your discussion would be at breaking point. Made a point a few weeks ago about 'The Rise of Skywalker' is a white board film. Guys/girls just sat round getting ideas down on a white board that need to be in the film to keep the fans happy.

excellent podcast as usual, interesting talk about Oled and the impact of HDR

I thought it was funny how you all said you thought Rise of Skywalker was ok, then proceeded to tear it to shreds! For the record I thought that it was awful with so many issues that are almost too numerous to count ………..

excellent podcast as usual, interesting talk about Oled and the impact of HDR

I thought it was funny how you all said you thought Rise of Skywalker was ok, then proceeded to tear it to shreds! For the record I thought that it was awful with so many issues that are almost too numerous to count ………..
Just for the record, I never said it was OK!

A 5 star review for this podcast from me on iTunes.

I previously was experiencing Podcast withdrawal symptoms with shakes and sudden outbursts of swearing in French. I don’t even speak French.

Love the StarWars discussion.

@Casimir Harlow was surprised at your comments on Bay in general. I get that everything after the first Transformers was downhill, but most of his movies are pretty high on my action list

Bad Boys
The Rock
Armageddon
The Island (yes it was good)
Pearl Harbour and Bad Boys 2 I guess is where he started going wrong for a lot of people, but BB2 I have still watched over and over, as well as those earlier ones. And the first Transformers was a movie-miracle in itself.

@Casimir Harlow was surprised at your comments on Bay in general. I get that everything after the first Transformers was downhill, but most of his movies are pretty high on my action list

Bad Boys
The Rock
Armageddon
The Island (yes it was good)
Pearl Harbour and Bad Boys 2 I guess is where he started going wrong for a lot of people, but BB2 I have still watched over and over, as well as those earlier ones. And the first Transformers was a movie-miracle in itself.

I think you mean you were surprised by everybody else's comments, and not the comments of the only person in the room defending Bay's early work. ;)

I think you mean you were surprised by everybody else's comments, and not the comments of the only person in the room defending Bay's early work. ;)
oh, perhaps I misheard, I thought you had said all his films were awful, and it was Steve who mentioned the Rock as an exception, but not much mention of anything else.

Great show as always.

Phil has exactly the same opinion as myself on the Disney SW sequels. Force Awakens was an enjoyable opener, Last Jedi was pants, TROS was fun nonsense but that’s about it. The only good things to come from this era have been some of the games, Rebels and the sheer joy that was Rogue One.

Hopefully The Mandalorian is going to set the tone for the next cycle. Keep in the fan service nuggets but try new stuff with new creatives. All the recent films have been helmed by white men, why not get Taika Waititi or Jordan Peele, or snap up Patty Jenkins when she finishes with Wonder Woman?

Now that the main Star Wars films are done with, does that we we don't have to listen to Steve hate on the films like they've just ran over, his puppy. Then reversed back over it and then drove forward over it again. Jesus Christ. They were not great films, but OMG.

Oh the very last scene.
OK the old woman and what she asked was awful, but I cannot fathom the hatred of why she was there. I for one thought of course she would go.

Talk about wanting to hate a film.

All the recent films have been helmed by white men, why not get Taika Waititi or Jordan Peele, or snap up Patty Jenkins when she finishes with Wonder Woman?

what has the colour or gender of the director of a film got to do with it? the only thing that truly matters is competence whatever the the ethnicity,gender, of the artist.

the fact that Star Wars was conceived, written and brought into being by the vision of a white man makes this comment even more ridiculous

Now that the main Star Wars films are done with, does that we we don't have to listen to Steve hate on the films like they've just ran over, his puppy. Then reversed back over it and then drove forward over it again. Jesus Christ. They were not great films, but OMG.

Oh the very last scene.
OK the old woman and what she asked was awful, but I cannot fathom the hatred of why she was there. I for one thought of course she would go.

I'll never mention them again.

I'll never mention them again.
Which will make you very happy I'm sure! :)

As you said, everyone for the film side needs to be sacked. But why is the TV so much better. Different people involved. Kennedy not?

Same with the Bond family. They need to go as well.

Protect the brand, protect the brand! And all cost don't rock the boat!!

I like listening to the Movie banter. The bad Movies were worth making just so that we get to enjoy the Banter.

don’t stop the banter. Continue to speak your minds. Awesome.

and thank you 🙏

Oh the very last scene.

Nothing wrong with speaking your mind. You have the choice of not listening to that section of the podcast.

I would like to ask Phil if he could consider doing a StarWars special Podcast. Covering all 9 Movies.
Will pay good money to listen to it. Name your price.

I would like to ask Phil if he could consider doing a StarWars special Podcast. Covering all 9 Movies.
Will pay good money to listen to it. Name your price.
With all nine movies hitting 4K Blu-ray at the end of March, I'm sure there will be some discussion about the entire saga then – Maclunkey!

With all nine movies hitting 4K Blu-ray at the end of March, I'm sure there will be some discussion about the entire saga then – Maclunkey!
As I understand Disney+ is coming to UK on 24th of March. Interesting if all 9 Movies will be available in HDR on it and when.

As I understand Disney+ is coming to UK on 24th of March. Interesting if all 9 Movies will be available in HDR on it and when.
I think they should all be available (unless there are outstanding deals with other streamers like Netflix) and in Dolby Vision and Atmos.

Great podcast as always. This and the CES podcast manage to stop me turning to harder things and conspiracy podcasts.
My take on Skywalker was it started bad, Really bad. then started to go ok, then became a flumuxed remake (Force Awakens) and then turned out ok.

A few podcasts ago Phil did mention he has seen some differences between Dolby Vision and HDR10+ to which I said I would be interested to hear these.
I am interested to see some examples if possible on the clipping of HDR10+

I am happy enough with HDR and DV though but I didn't think there would be a noticeable difference in them.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom