AVForums Podcast Live 10th May 2020 - Craig Cunningham interview from Samsung, Soundbar review, 50 albums for lockdown and more...

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
00:00:00 - Stream Starts
00:01:27 - Start
00:06:59 - Thank you front line workers - what have we done this week?
00:10:54 - Current Competitions
00:12:07 - Craig Cunningham interview about Samsung TV's for 2020 and beyond
00:37:17 - Steve reviews the Sharp HT-SBW800 Dolby Atmos soundbar
00:42:40 - Ed discusses his 50 Essential albums for lockdown listening
00:55:00 - Movies Section - Film releases this week
00:57:48 - 4K and Blu-ray releases this week
01:02:29 - TV and Streaming releases this week
01:04:57 - Q&A
01:31:48 - Goodbyes
01:35:14 - Ends

Presented by Phil Hinton with Cas Harlow, Ed Selley, Steve Withers and this week's guest Craig Cunningham from Samsung.

Note: If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Time: 01:31:42 | File Size: 134mb | Direct Link

The Audio quality is great. Much improved.

Hello Craig. I used to be European Product Manager for Samsung - Printing Division, based in Chertsy EHQ / Top Floor. Before your time.

Yeah way better audio, expect when Cas was trying to speak through his nose to his mic :D

Speaking of first CDs I have very strong memory of going to a local record shop and buying my first 2 CDs; Nirvana - Nevermind and The Shamen - Boss Drum. The only issue was I didn't have a CD player at the time. I think I was getting one for a birthday or Christmas. I do remember looking at them in wonder in my room, they were so shiny and futuristic looking.

thanks for the podcast was interesting to see how Craig who had worked on developing dolby vision previously and then had to listen to you say how much better it was than HDR10+ ! he managed to blag it pretty well, but i think we all know that HDR10 is pretty much dead in the water and DV has become the defacto industry standard........................i expect an announcement at some point that Samsung in at least their high end TVs where money is not so much a limiting factor that they will be supporting DV .................unless they can mass market Micro LED in 2021.

Is there/could there be a separate post for the 50 recommended albums, save me writing them all down? :thumbsup:

Just wondering if ED has ever tuned into "Late Junction" on BBC R3. He may be quite ( or very ) surprised. Been my source of different music for many years now. I can guarantee it ain't R1, 2 or even normal R3 ! And it's free, t' boot..

Good diplomatic answers around DV/HDR10+, hard to compare the two. The answer is always “it depends”. I’m sure it’s possible to make an amazing HDR10+ map and a crap DV one, it depends on quality of the source and who’s doing it.

In terms of marketability, Dolby Vision has the upper hand. It’s like Blu-Ray/HD-DVD all over again, do you want the upgrade of the existing tech, or the completely-new-sounding thing?

Another great video podcast.

Interesting input from Craig Cunningham.
Have to say he did look a bit bored until question time at the end.

Bugger, missed this one I think I had my notifications switched off. 🙁 🙄

Bugger, missed this one I think I had my notifications switched off. 🙁 🙄
You can watch back on YouTube and follow the conversations and comments in real-time, and pretend it's live. ;)

You can watch back on YouTube and follow the conversations and comments in real-time, and pretend it's live. ;)
Yeah I get that, but i'm still miffed I missed the "live" version. It means I can't post daft comments as it happens. Phil it's not the same doing it here. 🙁 Oh well roll on next week's poddy. :) Anyway i'll finish off with a joke.

Adam was walking through the Garden of Eden feeling very lonely, so God asked him, "What's wrong, Adam?" Adam said he didn't have anyone to talk to.

God thought for a minute and then said that He was going to make him a companion and that it would be called "Wonderful."

"Wonderful" will gather food for you, cook for you, agree with your every decision, bear your children, never ask you to get up in the middle of the night to take care of them, never nag you, be the first to admit wrong when you've had a disagreement and "wonderful" never gives you a headache."

Adam inquired, "what will "Wonderful" cost?" God replied, "an arm and a leg."

Then Adam asked....... "what can I get for a rib?"

Last edited:
Just wondering if ED has ever tuned into "Late Junction" on BBC R3. He may be quite ( or very ) surprised. Been my source of different music for many years now. I can guarantee it ain't R1, 2 or even normal R3 ! And it's free, t' boot..
If you tag someone - put @ and then their user name - e.g. @JH4 they will get an alert drawing their attention to your message. Unless they turned that alert off. Which most people don't.

Good listen again folks, the audio quality being excellent. Enjoyed the interview with Criag Cunningham and understand the Samsung approach to DV in relation to their higher end screens. The need for DV etc for those with less nits seems to be an issue that Samsung acknowledge and hopefully address.

Why is @Steve Withers the only one who dressed up for ‘May the 4th be with you’

1589226080952.png

So no eARC for the qled q70r? Thats a real shame and a shitty move from samsung.

Craig said in the podcast that the update requires the One Connect box, which restricts it to the Q85 and Q90.
Yes i know. Just have a hard time understanding why the hdmi ports on the hw-q70r can support earc but hdmi ports on the qled q70r cant 😅 maybe the q70r will be ”too futureproof” for a mid pricepoint tv if it gets earc.
Just dissapointed since i bought the 82” q70r in march and just got a hw q90r last week.
Thanks for asking the question though steve 👌

Just a silly question but is it that the Samsung argument is that their TVs are so good (bright) that they don't need DV or HDR?

Just a silly question but is it that the Samsung argument is that their TVs are so good (bright) that they don't need DV or HDR?
What Samsung is saying is that its high-end TVs are bright enough to deliver 1000nit HDR without any tone mapping, and 4000nit HDR with minimal tone mapping. As such, dynamic metadata formats like Dolby Vision and HDR10+ offer little benefit (although Samsung does support the latter). Where dynamic metadata really helps is with less capable TVs, but there is a cost associated with adding DV to mid-range TVs.

What Samsung is saying is that its high-end TVs are bright enough to deliver 1000nit HDR without any tone mapping, and 4000nit HDR with minimal tone mapping. As such, dynamic metadata formats like Dolby Vision and HDR10+ offer little benefit (although Samsung does support the latter). Where dynamic metadata really helps is with less capable TVs, but there is a cost associated with adding DV to mid-range TVs.
thanks for the quick response, would you agree with that argument?

Steve - Is there a recommended minimum nit brightness level whereby DV etc are not so important?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom