AVForums Podcast LIVE May 17th 2020

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
00:00:00 - Stream Starts
00:00:10 - Podcast starts
00:00:39 - Welcome to this week's podcast
00:03:06 - What have we done this week and what has caught our eye in the news?
00:09:07 - Hardware news
00:28:23 - Games news
00:34:35 - What podcasts do we recommend?
00:41:17 - Current Competitions
00:43:11 - Phil reviews the BenQ TK850 4k DLP Projector
00:47:37 - Hardware Q&A
01:16:05 - Movies - 4k Blu-ray, Blu-ray, TV and Streaming releases this week
01:26:03 - The best and worst of Tom Cruise
01:39:50 - Goodbyes

Presented by Phil Hinton with Mark Botwright, Ed Selley and Steve Withers.

Note: If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Time: 01:40:52 | File Size: 242mb | Direct Link

Support us by making a donation at avforums / Streamlabs
Become a Patron at AVForums is creating Videos | Patreon
Your donations help us to improve the website, publish more editorial and make better podcasts. Thank you.

Last edited:
I really like the format of the podcast. With 4 people you have good space available for sharing screen shots from the website in reference. This takes it to another level.

Loved the Campfire Audio review. It certainly deserves a good DAC like Chord Hugo/Mojo to shine.

Soundbars. Doesn’t seem to be many high end new Sound bars to compete with Sennheiser Ambeo Bar. I hope there will be.

The difference in bass on WotW that I was talking about:

ec5Nf2y.jpg

Thanks for the Podcast - always fun. The "Moths" Incident was especially good :)
For Tom Cruise, I would pop in "The Last Samurai" - not because ne was especially brilliant in it, but I do love that Movie!

I've not had any notifications for these streams since you did the first one, so I'm assuming you're recording them as live and uploading to YouTube afterwards?

I've not had any notifications for these streams since you did the first one, so I'm assuming you're recording them as live and uploading to YouTube afterwards?
No, these are going live at 7pm on a Sunday on the YouTube channel. You should have been getting the notifications. I'll ask @Stuart Wright to double-check they are going out.

The difference in bass on WotW that I was talking about:

ec5Nf2y.jpg
Why two pairs of traces? For instance, is the upper pair for the left channel and the lower pair for the right channel? It's a pity that the font on the axes is so small, I'm struggling to read the numbers! But yes, within each pair of traces they are similar between the Blu-ray and the UHD Blu-ray signals above 40Hz, but the bass on the UHD signal falls off a cliff below 30Hz, which rather renders any subwoofer redundant ....

Where are you not seeing them? I received the YouTube alert last night just after 7pm (but had kids bedtime so couldn’t watch live) and my Podcast app (Pocketcasts) alerted me to the episode being posted at 08:49 this morning.

Why two pairs of traces? For instance, is the upper pair for the left channel and the lower pair for the right channel? It's a pity that the font on the axes is so small, I'm struggling to read the numbers! But yes, within each pair of traces they are similar between the Blu-ray and the UHD Blu-ray signals above 40Hz, but the bass on the UHD signal falls offf a cliff below 30Hz, which rather renders any subwoofer redundant ....
They normally looks like this:
Green line = peak, Red line = average, and the larger the gap, the more dynamic the bass is
However trying to put 2 side by side often causes confusion so they're recoloured
It's a high resolution image, you should be able to zoom in, here's a direct link otherwise:

Great show as always, nice to hear Dalek Botwright joining in.

Podcast recommendations:

Steve: The Asset - long form episodic breakdown of the unequivocal case for Trump being a semi-unwitting Russian agent.

Ed: DriveNation - Two motoring journos delve into recent motoring history, recent episodes about McLaren F1 & Richard Noble LSR attempts are very good.

Phil: The Soundtrack Show - An accessible dive into the creation and stories behind the soundtracks of classic films such as Star Wars, Superman, Dollars Trilogy etc. Good episode on the original Super Mario Bros music too.

Mark: Top Flight Time Machine - originally a themed football show discussing Premiership seasons and World Cups of years past, it has evolved into a catch-all ramble about naps, digging, rigs, Minder, bizarre holidays, dead neighbours, cats, Kylie, The Pyramid Game, slippers, Snow White, Roy of the Rovers and Kevin Keegan.

Which YouTube channel are you expecting notifications from? The AVForums Podcasts channel - which was only used to test the podcast? Or the main channel?

I suspect the problem is that the first live stream was on the AVForums Podcast channel, but since then they've been on the normal AVForums channel. So you need to subscribe to AVForums.

I suspect the problem is that the first live stream was on the AVForums Podcast channel, but since then they've been on the normal AVForums channel. So you need to subscribe to AVForums.

Exactly, Steve. I'll subscribe to the main channel henceforth.

Great Podcast guys!

Top Gun??? Seriously though crooz has done so many great movies, recently i have been enjoying Oblivion and Collateral, probably one of my favourite actors. His mission impossible movies have replaced my bond fix as I have never been keen on craig.
Much prefer this style where you are actually on screen. Good job!

Last edited:
Loving the live podcasts.

Thanks for the Wind of Change podcast recommendation Steve, 2 eps in, a great listen, will give Pod Save America a listen too.

Coo I actually got mentioned on the podcast, twice, :clap: by the benevolent Count Withers (son of Googie) and doing a great impersonation, when he's not smiling of.... "The Hood". I bow to your greatness sir. 🙂

1589888958907.png

Great podcast and thanks for the recommendation for the "Team Deakins" Podcast, he's the only cinematographer I actually know the name of, mainly cos he's absolutely amazing.

@Ed Selley - Given the Munich show isn't on, how do you think the poducts that would have been announced there will be released?

I have a few Podcast recommendations:
"Under the Influence from CBC Radio" (two episodes) is one I stumbled across recently which had an interesting couple of episodes on "Sound + Vision: Album Covers As Marketing" (two parts - S09E04-05) which I really enjoyed (it helps I knew nothing about it going in).
"Science vs Fiction" has a film critic and a director who also happens to be an astrophysicist compare and contrast a couple of SciFi movies and talk about how accuate the Science is (and if it's important) - they did a great episode on "Outbreak vs Contagion" in November last year complete with a guest Dr who works in that field which was great, especially as the current situation hadn't really happened yet, they also did one on War of the Worlds, 1953 vs 2005, speak of Tom Cruise.
"Junkfood Cinema" would be my final shout out, that and the AVForums podcasts are the ones that automatically jump to the top of my queue and must be listened to immediately, it celebrates movies that just didn't get the love they deserve, and yes @Steve Withers - they have an Episode on "Mystery Men" if you needed to wet your appetite, they haven't done "Twister" yet but they did do a tribute to Bill Paxton after he passed away. I like to listen to a podcast where they talk positively about the movie they are covering, there's a lot of ones where they rip into them but this will (generally) only cover a movie they both enjoyed and they have a huge back catalog now - Speaking of racing movies like Days of Thunder and Talladega Nights, JFC is where I picked up completely useless pieces of information like how Disney's "Cars" is basically a remake of "Doc Hollywood"

Tom Cruise - I enjoy most of the movies he's been in, there was also a couple of great references to him in Preacher. I especially enjoyed Oblivion, Minority Report and Edge of Tomorrow (though Ed's right, changing the name was a really stupid idea)

Watched this yesterday; great stuff as always! Now that I'm subscribed to the correct channel, hopefully I may even be able to watch them live :)

Re Patreon: if I may be so bold, I'd suggest that £5 (as a base tier) is too high. Whilst it may not be a vast sum of money in its own right, there are numerous YouTube channels that are worthy of support. It's one thing supporting a bunch of channels at $1-2USD per month, but if everyone wanted £5 as a minimum it could start to become a significant outlay each month and potentially act as a barrier to potential supporters. Particularly in these somewhat turbulent economic times.

Watched this yesterday; great stuff as always! Now that I'm subscribed to the correct channel, hopefully I may even be able to watch them live :)

Re Patreon: if I may be so bold, I'd suggest that £5 (as a base tier) is too high. Whilst it may not be a vast sum of money in its own right, there are numerous YouTube channels that are worthy of support. It's one thing supporting a bunch of channels at $1-2USD per month, but if everyone wanted £5 as a minimum it could start to become a significant outlay each month and potentially act as a barrier to potential supporters. Particularly in these somewhat turbulent economic times.
So if it were lowered to £2 (because once Patreon fees are deducted £1 isn't worth it), would you subscribe?

So if it were lowered to £2 (because once Patreon fees are deducted £1 isn't worth it), would you subscribe?

Personally not right now because the current Covid-19 situation has obliterated my income and I am looking to reduce my outgoings. I'd imagine many would do though.

When it comes to Tom Cruise, he's made lots and lots of movies that are watchable, at least once. However, Edge of Tomorrow is absolutely #1, by far the best scifi- or action-type movie he has done in any case. Emily Blunt has a lot to do with that. But Cruise was great, too.

Finally managed to watch/listen to this week's edition and enjoyable as ever.

Two of the many podcasts I listen to are:

Intercepted - Podcasts
Quite frightening to listen about politics in the US. The Democrats are just as bad as the Republicans!

Bellingcat - Podcasts Archives - bellingcat
They identified the Russians involved in the Salisbury poison attack.

Both podcasts are part of some very interesting investigative journalism websites.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom