AVForums Podcast May 24th 2020

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
00:00:00 - Starts
00:00:11 - Welcome to the podcast
00:03:40 - Current Competitions
00:05:25 - What have we done this week and what has happened in the AV world?
00:05:57 - IFA 2020 will be unusual this year - New format for the Euro AV Show
00:10:10 - Ed cooks a chilli and iFi launches iPhono3 Black Label phono stage.
00:14:22 - Cas takes a break from the movies - Returning to the cinema, can it happen? Oscars '21 cancelled?
00:18:27 - HBO Max to air 'Snyder Cut' of Justice League in 2021
00:22:46 - Sky to launch HDR on the 27th of May 2020
00:29:38 - Should the big studios start releasing films on streaming services?
00:33:05 - When cinema's reopen, will you go?
00:39:20 - Have we been to a Dolby Cinema?
00:42:58 - What's arriving for review?
00:48:12 - Sony announces pricing for 48-inch A9 OLED and 8K ZH8 LED TVs
00:54:43 - Q&A - 8K TVs
00:57:04 - This week's 4K and Blu-ray releases
01:21:25 - Q&A - Mixed questions
01:39:40 - The best and worst Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson films
01:58:43 - Ends

Presented by Phil Hinton with Cas Harlow, Ed Selley and Steve Withers.

Note: If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Time: 01:58:27 | File Size: 185mb | Direct Link

To watch the video with the live chat, click the YouTube logo in the video window
Support us by making a donation at avforums / Streamlabs
Become a Patron at AVForums is creating Videos | Patreon
Your donations help us to improve the website, publish more editorial and make better podcasts. Thank you.

Last edited:
Thanks again for the weekly. I watch Monday Mornings to make the Lockdown start of another week more tolerable :)
Enjoyed The Rock conversation especially!

Interesting discussion about Dolby Cinemas. Their first UK commercial cinema at Leicester Square was met with lukewarm reception IIRC - particularly for their (up to) £40 per ticket price (depending on seat, time of week, time of day etc.). The thing that put me off about Leicester Square however wasn't the cost - it was the cinema itself (i.e. comparatively smaller screen size, stalls/circle-seating etc - most likely a product of having to shoehorn a Dolby Cinema into an existing building).

But the second UK cinema - Leeds Thorpe Park - is sensational. It's designed from the ground up so they had free reign to maximise the available screen real estate. In addition, the tickets are a lot cheaper (even more so than any cinema near me in Scotland). I agree about the audio - chest-poundingly awesome.

Enjoyed the poddy guys, even though I didn't get mentioned this time.... unlike last 🤨.

As I stated on the remarks section when the poddy was "live" and when you were talking about what's going on (or not) out there. My line of work is basically nonexistent at the moment (like many other self employed in other professions so it's not just me, i'm not trying to be too solipsistic) therefore I haven't worked for nine weeks now and therefore no income. Thank heavens I rent the taxi at the moment, so back it went to the fleet owner.

Apart from finding stuff to do around the house and garden and pacing things out and and watching this poddy it breaks things up and is keeping me sane, it really is a welcome break. Wifey is an essential worker so at least, as I said on the remarks section, we still have an income plus I get the state pension. Some of my taxi driving colleagues must be tearing their hair out especially with a mortgage around their necks etc, etc.

By the way replacing my Denon AVC-A11XV(A) for the Denon AVC-X8500H or the Marantz SR8012 for "Atmos / DTS:X" capabilitiy (although I have already got my Kef Q50a's overhead speakers in place) will now have to wait for obvious reasons. I might see if these models reduce in price when any replacement(s) are due. In the meantime I noticed the Denon is the second lowest price it's been from a bricks and mortar shop (I wouldn't want to buy something like this from an online "only" company) at £2.599.

Anyway see you all on the other side of this awful pandemic. Take care and be safe LT. 😉

Last edited:
It might be worth mentioning that although we can see the video replay from this page, in order to also see the chat comments (which for me really enhance the whole experience) you have to go to the YouTube channel and access the videocast from there.

Thanks, Mr Hinton! Although upon reading my post #6 again I must apologise, it wasn't directed at AVForums staff (otherwise I would have said "please"!) but it was more to let other AVForum members know.

Last edited:
I do enjoy you weekly podcast 👍

Presumably you had to get your car detailed to sort out the marks that removing the stripes would have left on your paintwork.
Although it was probably due a detail anyway 😀

I do enjoy you weekly podcast 👍

Presumably you had to get your car detailed to sort out the marks that removing the stripes would have left on your paintwork.
Although it was probably due a detail anyway 😀
Yeah, the car was ceramic coated with the stripes on when it was new, so removing the stripes means it needs a single stage machine polish and the areas where the stripe was removed needs to be coated. Plus it was due for an ExoV4 top up which is the hydrophobic layer. It has sat for weeks not moving during lockdown so it needed a good clean as well. I'm having new wheels and some other parts fitted at the same time it gets detailed. Then it gets lowered next week and alignment is done a week after that. It should look a little bit different once it is done. If you keep an eye on @ggz_565 on Instagram you will see the progress, if you're interested.

Yeah, the car was ceramic coated with the stripes on when it was new, so removing the stripes means it needs a single stage machine polish and the areas where the stripe was removed needs to be coated. Plus it was due for an ExoV4 top up which is the hydrophobic layer. It has sat for weeks not moving during lockdown so it needed a good clean as well. I'm having new wheels and some other parts fitted at the same time it gets detailed. Then it gets lowered next week and alignment is done a week after that. It should look a little bit different once it is done.

Grab-a-cab it's quicker. Luv LT. :thumbsup:

Yeah, the car was ceramic coated with the stripes on when it was new, so removing the stripes means it needs a single stage machine polish and the areas where the stripe was removed needs to be coated. Plus it was due for an ExoV4 top up which is the hydrophobic layer. It has sat for weeks not moving during lockdown so it needed a good clean as well. I'm having new wheels and some other parts fitted at the same time it gets detailed. Then it gets lowered next week and alignment is done a week after that. It should look a little bit different once it is done. If you keep an eye on @ggz_565 on Instagram you will see the progress, if you're interested.
I didn't know if this was a treatment for the car, or a possible treatment for the Coronavirus! :D

Thanks gents, I'm just finishing this week's edition and Steve's lovefest with The Rock.

Enjoy the Q and A aspect of the show and a few people have already beaten me to a couple of questions.

Can I also ask you consider debating a funding model for the future along with the necessary article/thread. I would seriously consider being a subscriber in order to safeguard the podcast and website's future.

I don’t do instagram but I’m keen to see your wheels so I may break a rule and instal another blinkin app on my phone 😜

I'm sure everyone know but you can access all US Disney+ content by going via a VPN, allowed the kids to watch both Onward and Frozen 2 in the comfort of our home

I don’t do instagram but I’m keen to see your wheels so I may break a rule and instal another blinkin app on my phone 😜

Its worth it just to see the before / after that Phil's doing on his motor

Netflix bandwidth lock down or throttling was initially introduced in geographical stages with London being amongst first to be affected. At this point it was reported that people were outraged and traveled to Durham which had 15.25mbps at the time. However soon after Durham was also infected by the bandwidth lockdown so people traveled back. Many thought they had eye sight issues not realising that it was bandwidth quality, so allowed for a driving break at a Castle on the way back to London.

@SteveWithers Just finished The Last Dance & agree great player but a proper tyrant

Netflix bandwidth lock down or throttling was initially introduced in geographical stages with London being amongst first to be affected. At this point it was reported that people were outraged and traveled to Durham which had 15.25mbps at the time. However soon after Durham was also infected by the bandwidth lockdown so people traveled back. Many thought they had eye sight issues not realising that it was bandwidth quality, so allowed for a driving break at a Castle on the way back to London.
I understand the topical references! Now you are indeed living up to your username!

The Dolby Cinema at the Odeon Luxe venue in Leeds is excellent. Lots of free parking, and food places available too. It’s located in a new out of town retail park right next to the motorway which makes it very accessible by car. Well worth a visit when these strange times have passed.

Due to the large screen size, the Leeds Dolby cinema is far more impressive than London’s Odeon Leicester Square venue. The design of the Leeds venue is almost identical to the AMC Dolby Cinemas in the US.

Expensive, but worth going for an event movie (Top Gun Maverick for me hopefully).

Regards,

James.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom