AVForums Podcast: Philips OLED TV Interview, High-end Home Cinema and more... 9/12/19

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
00:00:00 - Sponsor message
00:04:41 - What have we done this week?
00:14:20 - Our memories of Ken Ishiwata
00:20:29 - Current Competitions
00:22:17 - Interview with Danny Tack from Philips
00:45:33 - Steve reviews the Focal Astral 16 processor/amplifier
00:51:02 - Ed reviews the XTZ A2-300 stereo amplifier
00:54:34 - Phil & Cas review Jumanji: The Next Level
01:02:04 - Are Disney getting desperate with their Star Wars PR?
01:06:12 - CES 2020 sidetracking
01:09:10 - 4K and Blu-ray disc releases this week
01:13:01 - Streaming releases this week
01:18:18 - Let's talk sports! No really! Amazon start showing premier league football
01:34:50 - Goodbyes

Presented by Phil Hinton with Steve Withers, Ed Selley, Cas Harlow and Mark Botwright

Note: If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Time: 01:36:11 | File Size: 185mb | Direct Link

Thanks folks for another good listen.
Re Amazon's football coverage, I think most people are happy with last week's games and they made a good decision using an experienced production unit.
Some interesting comments by Danny Tack, especially about the brightness of forthcoming panels.
In relation to future guests, how about approaching Sound United? A representative is being interviewed this week on AV Rant at the former's request. The agenda includes Denon/Marantz products, streaming and HD audio. Well worth consideration.
Looking forward to your xmas party edition next week.

Fell off my chair laughing ! Great stuff. Not sure if any you guys follow F1 but the 4K coverage these days is worth my Sky sub by itself. Cameras everywhere on the cars, on ( and in ! ) the track, and aloft - all in 4K. All live and just brilliant. ( and we have an English 6 X World Champ, t boot. )

01:02:04 - Are Disney getting desperate with their Star Wars PR?
Yes!
The real Star Wars geeks are those who bought the toys and anything Star Wars related, and went to see the film 3,4,5 or even 6 times. They pretty much loathe The Last Jedi, loathe Rey (just there to replace Luke & Anakin without any backstory), loathe Rose Tico (Her sister was more interesting), loathe Holdo (just there to belittle Poe) wonder why Finn's more interesting story arc wasn't used and hate the treatment of the original trilogy characters, especially Luke Skywalker. They say that Mr R.Johnson "broke Star Wars" lol.

What was the result? Solo suffered badly, toy sales (as you said in your podcast) are really suffering. The TLJ toys are still around, the new toys are already on special offer. The new Galaxy's Edge theme park is getting shut down and replaced by another attraction which apparently is great...........when it works.
The weird thing is that I am not a Star Wars geek at all but I'm probably of the same generation so I get where they are coming from.

The Mandalorian has now come into the midst of this battle, loved or at worst liked by the vast majority of Star Wars fans, Baby Yoda is winning the Internet. This makes Episode 9 look bad and it isn't even out yet lol.

Wow! I sound just like a member of the Fandom Menace lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent informative podcast once again.

Another streaming release on Friday 13th December is The Grand Tour Presents: Seamen. Expect more infantile humour judging by the title. Basically it’s the start of season 3, but no studio this time only specials.

The Premier League on Amazon has been discussed on the forums here: Football on Amazon Prime

It wasn’t as smooth of an experience as you guys had for AV Forums members.

It looks like it depended on which device you used to access the Amazon Prime Video app, which determined what sort of experience you received. For example, for me using an Amazon fire stick HD the first night of football resulted in a juddery mess. It transpires the firesticks “Auto” video setting is useless. The football was broadcast in 50hz and the auto setting was playing it at 60hz. Luckily an AV Forums member did Amazon’s CS’s job for them (Amazon suggested unplugging and restarting the firestick when I emailed them!) and advised me on how to change the setting and the judder disappeared.

P.S. @Ed Selley FYI Sky is no longer owned by Rupert Murdoch and is 100% owned by Comcast.

P.S.S. Mitchell and Webb Football:

Last edited:
Thank you for the Podcast including discussion with Dany.
Perhaps Philips in conjunction with AVForums could open up a competition to rename Philips ‘Vivid’ picture mode to something better. As Dany has already received feedback on the current name can be off putting for reasons discussed.

Just an idea.

for my 2 cents I like the name ‘Brilliant picture’ or ‘Philips Brilliant’.

I can’t seem to find this new Clint Eastwood collection

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
@Steve Withers - any chance you will review the Emotiva RMC-1 and/or Lyngdorf MP-50/MP-60?

If you want to find 4K and/or 4K HDR content on Prime, type this in Amazon TV App search bar:
“Title”(4K UHD)

Example:
Expanse (4K UHD)

Also tip - if you type (4K UHD) it will list all 4k/hdr content on Amazon.

If you want to find 4K and/or 4K HDR content on Prime, type this in Amazon TV App search bar:
“Title”(4K UHD)

Example:
Expanse (4K UHD)

Also tip - if you type (4K UHD) it will list all 4k/hdr content on Amazon.
I don't think you should have to searching for 4K content, it should be the default option if available.

I’ve found locating all the 4K content on Amazon easy enough for quite a while now, it’s almost always in the first few rows of carousels when launched. Obviously the easiest way would be for Amazon to simply list one product and have the option to choose the version you wish to watch in the listing itself but I don’t think it’s anywhere near as bad as it used to be.

Also, interesting listening to Danny Tack, and reinforces my view that LG OLED is pretty much there with only minor brightness bumps to look forward to. My current C7 and C8 TVs will suffice for a good number of years to come. 😎

Also, interesting listening to Danny Tack, and reinforces my view that LG OLED is pretty much there with only minor brightness bumps to look forward to. My current C7 and C8 TVs will suffice for a good number of years to come. 😎
It's funny you should mention that because I'm writing an article at the moment about the future of OLED.

The new Philips picture enhancement tech is the probably the final stage. The changes it makes to Dolby Vision while still remaining in the profile is pretty impressive. Not to mention their "Vivid" mode which is a revelation.

Good podcast as always - not sure you should be allowed time off over Christmas though - going to be bored walking the dog.
I've booked my ticket for Star Wars - it'll be my first visit to the cinema this year (I just get everything on 4k UHD) but strangely did feel quite compelled to go see it this time. I still remember going the first time around when I was 6! I can only be better than Ep8 can't it? Surely?

Interesting on your deal with Sky Phil, I've two months left on my contract with them. Even if I paid off my contract they were happy for me to leave them rather than get similar. So, they've lost me!

Good podcast as always - not sure you should be allowed time off over Christmas though - going to be bored walking the dog.
I've booked my ticket for Star Wars - it'll be my first visit to the cinema this year (I just get everything on 4k UHD) but strangely did feel quite compelled to go see it this time. I still remember going the first time around when I was 6! I can only be better than Ep8 can't it? Surely?
If JJ pulls this one out of the bag it will literally be a modern day miracle.But No one is holding their breath.

I don't think you should have to searching for 4K content, it should be the default option if available.
Agree. In addition there is so much wrong with the user interface. Too much to list.

To Amazon "your interface is tired, look your style is fired”
7701B748-C512-4091-9CC4-7FBF1D181AA6.png

:( Had to finally say goodbye today😢
P1100056.jpg

In my twisted mind and in a sick way, being Jokerr - I actually want StaWars to be the worst most sac religiously abomination of all the StarWars movies. Why, because I enjoy listening to Phil and Steve more when they slate it.

i told you....i am a little sick.

kill the Batman. Unrelated.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom