AVForums Podcast: Philips OLED TV launch, Star Trek: Picard review, Marantz NR1200 review & more...

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
00:00:00 - Start
00:01:31 - What have we done this week?
00:09:07 - Current Competitions
00:10:22 - Philips TV Launch Event
00:25:54 - Ed reviews the Marantz NR1200
00:42:02 - Films, discs and streaming releases this week
00:51:17 - Review: Star Trek: Picard
00:58:33 - Best TV shows of the last month
01:18:05 - Goodbyes

Presented by Phil Hinton with Steve Withers and Ed Selley

Note: If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Time: 01:19:04 | File Size: 151mb | Direct Link

Great episode as uual. The first series of Discovery was definately shown in 4K on Netflix. No correction it wasn't - sorry - but I do remember thinking how sharp the opening credits were

@Casimir Harlow If you haven’t already (which is unlikely I admit)...you really need to review “Sex Education” on Netflix matey.
It really is exceptional and I for one feel totally liberated...... :)
Staged in the UK as well which is nice to see.

Nice podcast

Top gear has improved for sure but not sure for the long term viability. It's very formulaic and that's why I rarely laugh.

Talking of the 106 rallye phase one don't get too carried away. Bit of rose coloured glasses seems wide spread on that.
The phase 2 106 GTI is better in pretty well every measurable way, 40% more torque, 20HP more, a far more flexible engine, wider rubber, disc brakes all round and the list goes on. The slight weight difference between the rallye and the GTI can not make up for this.

Put it this way if you had a brand new Rallye and a GTI and you drove both for a week. You would almost certainly buy the GTI after the test.

Anyway don't forget the 306 rallye and GTI-6 which along with the 106 GTI were probably the last great hot Peugeot's.

Anyway enough of the boring car talk :D

Really enjoyed new series of “Curb Your Enthusiasm”.
Watched on NowTV and in HD/5.1 sound. Only £3 a month for NowTV Boost and the difference is massive. Shocking how bad standard NowTV non HD picture is and terrible stereo sound which is also compressed.

great CodPast as always.

@Casimir Harlow If you haven’t already (which is unlikely I admit)...you really need to review “Sex Education” on Netflix matey.
It really is exceptional and I for one feel totally liberated...... :)
Staged in the UK as well which is nice to see.
Superb and genuinely funny. Even though i am not the target audience.

Perhaps Philips could consider making a P5chip available to TV Manufacturers that are not so advanced in picture processing = Hisense, TCL.

Why is Picard not in HDR. I have a theory that CBS when launching streaming service will only make it available on its service, just like StarWars in HDR is only on Disney service.

Great podcast guys, glad it finally made it to the site as when I started work and it was not uploaded I was calling you all the names under the sun.

I'm sure I have read somewhere that the HDR on Star Wars on Disney + is faux. I'm hoping this Sky deal ends up good although the Q box still isn't HDR enabled so hopefully you can sign in through other devices.

Top Gear was pretty good so we are all winners with 2 entertaining programmes instead of just 1.

Picard is interesting and I will watch with every week. I think Mandalorian worked with its weekly schedule as does curb your enthusiasm.

Talking of the 106 rallye phase one don't get too carried away. Bit of rose coloured glasses seems wide spread on that.
The phase 2 106 GTI is better in pretty well every measurable way, 40% more torque, 20HP more, a far more flexible engine, wider rubber, disc brakes all round and the list goes on. The slight weight difference between the rallye and the GTI can not make up for this.

Put it this way if you had a brand new Rallye and a GTI and you drove both for a week. You would almost certainly buy the GTI after the test.

The desirability of the Rallye isn't really a numbers thing. It was one of the last cars genuinely built for homologation purposes. It has random parts bin components in it- namely an ancient engine with a magnificently ambitious cam profile- to allow for this and it was always much rarer than the XSI/GTI. It is a manifestation of something that no longer really exists in modern ranges and that's why I get sentimental about them.

Anyway don't forget the 306 rallye and GTI-6 which along with the 106 GTI were probably the last great hot Peugeot's.

Anyway enough of the boring car talk :D

Forget hot (although I contest this, the late 208 GTI is a great car to drive but people were so used to Peugeots being appalling by the time it came that Peugeot sold about seven of them). The 306 GTI was probably the last remotely desirable car that Peugeot made.

The best driving hot hatch they ever made though was the 309 GTI and that's a hill I'm prepared to die on. I drove a restored one (I have some weird friends) 18 months ago and was staggered how good it was.

The desirability of the Rallye isn't really a numbers thing. It was one of the last cars genuinely built for homologation purposes. It has random parts bin components in it- namely an ancient engine with a magnificently ambitious cam profile- to allow for this and it was always much rarer than the XSI/GTI. It is a manifestation of something that no longer really exists in modern ranges and that's why I get sentimental about them.

Forget hot (although I contest this, the late 208 GTI is a great car to drive but people were so used to Peugeots being appalling by the time it came that Peugeot sold about seven of them). The 306 GTI was probably the last remotely desirable car that Peugeot made.

The best driving hot hatch they ever made though was the 309 GTI and that's a hill I'm prepared to die on. I drove a restored one (I have some weird friends) 18 months ago and was staggered how good it was.
I understood almost none of this post, although I have at least heard of Peugeot.

Great podcast yet again.

Just watch Top Gear on the recommendation and I cried laughing a number of times.

Thanks

Superb and genuinely funny. Even though i am not the target audience.
I doubt whether anyone would dare admit to being the target audience to this one Jokerr but secretly of course......... we all are!!

I love the weird 80s aesthetic of the set design for Sex Education too. Some awesome old cars in it. They have modern devices (there was even a Nintendo Switch in this series) but the design gives it an alternative universe kind of vibe. And the countryside it's set in is pretty lovely too.

To podcast as always guys (hope you're feeling better soon @Phil Hinton).

To add to the discussion...I'm a huge Star Trek fan of many years (seen every episode of every series and the films numerous times) and love both Discovery and Picard - may be in the minority though!

Good shout on James May in Japan, forgot that was on.

New Top Gear was great fun, finally my dream of no “Snore in an Incredibly Boring Car” has come true!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom