AVForums Podcast: Samsung 8K and 4K TV Launches, SVS SB200 Subwoofer Review and more 17/02/20

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
00:00:00 - Start
00:00:29 - AVForums is 20 years old and Storm Dennis
00:13:23 - Current Competitions
00:15:31 - Samsung launch 8K and 4K TVs in Europe
00:24:03 - Samsung and Netflix in exclusivity deal
00:29:11 - Bristol Hi-Fi Show preview
00:38:38 - Steve reviews the SVS SB2000 Subwoofer
00:45:42 - This week's cinema releases
00:49:59 - What have we been watching this week?
00:55:09 - 4K and Blu-ray releases this week
00:58:50 - This week's TV and Streaming releases
00:59:39 - Our favourite pandemic and end of the world movies
01:22:38 - Goodbyes

Presented by Phil Hinton with Steve Withers, Ed Selley and Mark Botwright

Note: If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Time: 01:23:37 | File Size: 153mb | Direct Link

28 days later.

Still love MD. My loading tray failed too on my Sony 333ES, but Ebay came to the rescue. I used to go to the Hi Fi show in London, as well. Hump't back heavy boxes of Hi Fi gear on the train to Bournemouth. Happy days ! Love disaster movies, too - not sure why.. "Day after" and "Deep impact" are so good. "Threads" has disappeared from my rack for some reason. Just too horrific, I guess ! How long before we are all wearing face masks, I wonder..

You mentioned The Happening - the Honest Trailers "Review" of this is a "If I need a laugh" go-to for me.

Oh, & you missed out "On The Beach" (1959) which I still find scary

You mentioned The Happening - the Honest Trailers "Review" of this is a "If I need a laugh" go-to for me.

Yep that covers this hideously bad film rather well

1:19:28 The Flak Towers in Berlin Hamburg & Vienna. Scarily made to survive, as they were also designed as Shelters

1:19:28 The Flak Towers in Berlin Hamburg & Vienna. Scarily made to survive, as they were also designed as Shelters

I agree they're robust but I'd question if they've sixty five million years robust.

Haven't listened yet but - "Our favourite pandemic and end of the world movies"

- Contagion

I only watched it once but i found it rather disturbing. Not watched Threads but i think i need to at some point. Just when i need cheering up like!.

Does Coherence fall under this category? Even if not that's a really great film!

Very fond memories of Minidisc.

I remember recording my Dad’s CDs, then scanning the covers, printing out little copies on a dot matrix printer and pritt-sticking them on to the Minidisc cases. Looked absolutely horrendous :facepalm::laugh:.

I agree they're robust but I'd question if they've sixty five million years robust.
I'm thinking, their physical weight would slowly sink them into the Ground, & then, like very ancient buildings, even if the Concrete stopped being Concrete, the 3D footprint of a very bizarre structure would remain.
Just a theory.

Star Wars caused some kind of real pandemic that people still suffer from today. People you haven't got it or just had light symptoms which disappeared with time just can't understand WTF is wrong with these people.

A new strain appeared in 00's I think it is called the comic book superhero syndrome. We really don't know how bad this version is still today.

Thank gents for this week's nostalgia trip. I too loved mini disc and my old sony unit is somewhere in the loft. It brought a whole new dimension to recordings and the ability to create/edit playlists etc.
Not doing the Bristol show again and may research a visit to Munich instead.

Do Independence Day and Armageddon count as end of the world movies? If they do they would be my pick.

There was an article in New Scientist ( if I remember right ) a long while back about what would survive on Earth in millenia to come, that would be recognisable as life. The conclusion was - not a lot...

Great podcast guys.

Thanks for the SB2000pro discussion, keen to find out if its actually just the original SB2000 but with app support or if there are bigger differences between old and new (I know SVS have said there are a number of changes and appreciate unless you have them side by side its impossible to compare). I can imagine the dsp app is great to have at hand for more problematic rooms.

Another fan of "The day after tomorrow" as its getting a mention, always loved that score as the camera pans over the frozen Liberty/Libertas torch.

Great podcast guys.

Thanks for the SB2000pro discussion, keen to find out if its actually just the original SB2000 but with app support or if there are bigger differences between old and new (I know SVS have said there are a number of changes and appreciate unless you have them side by side its impossible to compare). I can imagine the dsp app is great to have at hand for more problematic rooms.

Another fan of "The day after tomorrow" as its getting a mention, always loved that score as the camera pans over the frozen Liberty/Libertas torch.
Listen to this podcast in which SVS talk about their subwoofers etc.

@Phil Hinton portrait phone filming is my activator, it winds me right up! I say to people, is your TV orentated like that at home? Normally people I already know by the way, I don't just rock up to strangers. I am met with odd looks, they just don't think about it.

Good pod as always fellas. Thanks.

@Ed Selley the teflon coating in non stick pans will probably last a few million years and radioactive iodine-129 from nuclear waste storage facilities and meltdowns at abandoned nuclear power stations should be around given it's half life is about 16 million years.

Although future civilisations will probably have to be specifically looking for these things to find them.

@Phil Hinton portrait phone filming is my activator, it winds me right up! I say to people, is your TV orentated like that at home? Normally people I already know by the way, I don't just rock up to strangers. I am met with odd looks, they just don't think about it.

Good pod as always fellas. Thanks.

The trouble is, as was mentioned in the podcast, there is a real generational gap in tech. What seems to make sense to us is a total nonissue to others. A generation now spend their life on phones and not needing to turn the phone 90 degree will save them a second they could be reading some junk posted online.

....is your TV orentated like that at home? ....

Not only that, a human's field of vision is this shape.. landscape!
fov.JPG

Does that mean that the pristine boxed set of "THX" certified widescreen VHS untouched Star Wars original trilogy are not worth the hundreds (nay thousands) I thought they were? 😶 🤨

The Day of the Triffids - Although the movie itself wasn't that great - there have been two great TV Series based on this 'End of Humanity' storyline :)

Talking of the Samsung European release it does look like the Q80T will either be about the same price as last years Q70R or cheaper (the USA figures suggest it will be cheaper).

Going by USA RRP release prices
Screen sizes (prices): 49-inch ($1,099.99), 55-inch ($1,299.99), 65-inch ($1,799.99), 75-inch ($2,799.99), 85-inch ($3,999.99)
1500 nits on all but the 49" which has 1000 nits

I remember last year the 49" Q70R was initially lauched with a RRP something like £1400. So will will be interesting if the Q80T will perform better than last years Q70R because on the face of it at the moment the Q80T looks a cheaper buy (OK UK prices have not been confirmed yet).

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom