AVForums Podcast: TV Calibration with CalMAN and AutoCal - 4th November 2019

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
This week we have the first in a series of calibration podcasts.

Joining us in this edition is Tyler Pruitt from Portrait Displays the company behind the CalMAN software and we discuss the basics, how CalMAN can be used by enthusiasts and more...

The normal weekly podcast returns on the 11th of November.

Presented by Phil Hinton with Steve Withers and special guest Tyler Pruitt

Note: If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Time: 00:53:17 | File Size: 102mb | Direct Link

53 minutes? Hope you give us 2 hours next week!

Very interesting topic, I've always toyed with the idea of having my tv calibrated for complete dark room. I wonder though is it worth getting a Sony 65AF8 OLED calibrated even though it has no color management system? Can this be perfectly calibrated? What differences/advantaged does a CMS have?

Interesting that the concept of HDR 'Tone Mapping' is not really defined correctly - it's actually a 'frig' to deal with TVs that cannot match the peak luma level of the mastering display.

Dynamic metadata is basically a frig on-top of the frig.

As TVs gain brighter peak luma capabilities, the need for tone mapping will actually go away... as if the TV can match, or better, the mastering display's peak luma, there is no need for tone mapping at all.

Steve

53 minutes? Hope you give us 2 hours next week!

Very interesting topic, I've always toyed with the idea of having my tv calibrated for complete dark room. I wonder though is it worth getting a Sony 65AF8 OLED calibrated even though it has no color management system? Can this be perfectly calibrated? What differences/advantaged does a CMS have?
In my experience once the greyscale has been calibrated on a Sony TV, the colour tracking is extremely accurate. It's always better to have a CMS, but in the case of Sony it isn't necessarily a big issue.

Another VERY interesting pod cast. I have often thought though that it's such a shame that - in men - there is a high incidence of degrees of colour blindness, that can render super accurate calibration to be somewhat dubious. Since men are affected much more than women, I feel women should be included in blind tests, or at the very least the men should be tested for this condition when they do double blind testing too. ( Just a thought.. ) Looking forward to seeing these new dual layer LCD panels, too. Wonder how long before they go on general release. My credit card awaits ! Great pod cast. Many thanks.

Another great pod cast. Very interesting subject and surprised to hear that Hollywood are moving to the dual layer LCD screens for calibration. These types of displays should make for some interesting consumer units when they make their way out into the market. (I don't know if we get the HiSense unit in the UK).

Regarding the video games modes on TVs going for that "exciting" over saturated look, I've never understood why they do that. I've always stuck to using the same HDR/SDR settings I use for TV and movies and they look superb, and whenever asked for advise on settings for games I've always said use the same ones as for movies and TV.

Looking forward to future podcasts on the topic.

(Note: I didn't realise there were home versions of CalMan software at $149. Seriously tempted with that, even though my screen has been calibrated).

Excellent podcast guys, really enjoyed this one.

I have always calibrated SDR over the years (haven't had the courage to look into HDR yet) with my own metered i1pro, and am very interested in the Calman home product (when I upgrade tv next year). Good to hear the pro calibrator is not being made redundant, as I have always appreciated, its the tv and calibration knowledge you are paying for.

The light modulating cell layer tv's, is this what we know as Panasonic's Megacon?
Did they mentioned at last years CES if we will see a consumer version in the pipeline, and if so, is it 4 years + away ?

Yeah Megacon is a dual layer LCD as well

HiSense have launched one in China

Last edited:
Excellent PodCast. So glad I get my TV’s calibrated [LG OLED C7, SONY OLED AF9]. The logic makes simple sense.

Interesting point about HDR TV Tone mapping. The new season of Golliath on Amazon Prime is in HDR10. On my calibrated Sony AF9 it just looks too dark, even in a dark room. I am guessing that this is not Directors Intent as many scenes you can’t see the faces - perhaps this is the learning curve for TV Manufacturers to better tone map for HDR.

To conclude HDR does not always look better than SDR especially if there could be an issue with mastering and/or TV Tone mapping flaws.

i am a complete Amateur when it comes to Display technologies, but my brain usually trusts my eyes.

i have also noticed that Netflix DOLBYVISION content looks better with newer content, particularly with Marvel shows.

To quote a few members above - excellent podcast gents. Keep the specials going, especially when you are not available.

I’ve always wondered what happens when you pay for calibration and then a few weeks later the TV has a picture related firmware update - would it need recalibrating?

Excellent podcast guys, really enjoyed this one.

I have always calibrated SDR over the years (haven't had the courage to look into HDR yet) with my own metered i1pro, and am very interested in the Calman home product (when I upgrade tv next year). Good to hear the pro calibrator is not being made redundant, as I have always appreciated, its the tv and calibration knowledge you are paying for.

The light modulating cell layer tv's, is this what we know as Panasonic's Megacon?
Did they mentioned at last years CES if we will see a consumer version in the pipeline, and if so, is it 4 years + away ?

Panasonic semiconductor makes the 31" LMCL panels that are being used in the HDR mastering displays from Sony, Flanders Scientific, Eizo, ect. The Megacon is a 55" version of the same technology. Some of the China LCD panel makers are also developing larger screen versions of this technology.

I’ve always wondered what happens when you pay for calibration and then a few weeks later the TV has a picture related firmware update - would it need recalibrating?
Picture related firmware updates are very rare, they usually relate to the smart platform. However if there is an update that fundamentally changes the TV's picture performance, then yes it would need to be re-calibrated.

Can’t recall which pod @Phil Hinton mentioned BBC’s Spotlight on the troubles : A secret history, but thanks for doing so.
Excellent 7 part doc on the iPlayer, fantastic journalism, brought back many memories as I spent my first 18 years growing up in Belfast.
This must have taken a very long time (edit:made over 2 years, there is an hour long making of ep too) to pull this all together, tragic, disturbing, enraging, highly recommended.

Spotlight on the Troubles: A Secret History, Series 1: Episode 1: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0008c47 via @bbciplayer

Last edited:
It is about time you got Dr Julian Scott on one of your Podcasts...
This guy is extremely clever about all things to do with calibration.

It is about time you got Dr Julian Scott on one of your Podcasts...
This guy is extremely clever about all things to do with calibration.
Already recorded and edited. It'll go live on the 18th of this month. We're way ahead of you ;)

Just listened to this, another great job guys and a fascinating subject.

There was a brief discussion at the end regarding pro calibrators offering meter profiling as a service. I've been trying to give someone money for this, for years. Hint, hint! :D

Paul

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom