AVForums Sonos Play:5/Play:3/Play:1 Discussion

I noticed that. I used my trade in to get a White Five expecting to be shipped early June, but came back with late June. I'm in no rush. To be honest I'd be surprised if they are able to meet the demand (assuming there is some demand for sonos) given the disruption to supply chains across the world. Perhaps the white plastics are not as readily available?

Updated to the S2 software this morning. I can’t see much difference to the S1 version but I didn’t expect massive changes yet. The iPad version has a different colour scheme.

Has anyone else taken the plunge yet?

Yup, my trusty Android 6 tablet/controller is dead now, no S2 support, RIP :(

1591619470744.png

Surprisingly smooth - maybe the actual system update was no more grand than any other update just a lot of hype over v.2.

Updated to the S2 software this morning. I can’t see much difference to the S1 version but I didn’t expect massive changes yet. The iPad version has a different colour scheme.

Has anyone else taken the plunge yet?
Oo didn't realise it was out yet thought it was due on 10th. Guess I'll have to split my system to try it out. Interested to see what hi res files are supported, DSD, MQA ? etc.

Well that's a big let down, according to the release notes Hi Res files are not supported yet. I'm not bothering to split system yet! Sonos are cheeky gits getting everyone to upgrade their speakers for an update that doesn't support Hi Res... yet.

Release notes:

Last edited:
Yep, changed over this morning. Nothing that I can see so far to get excited about. Groups is quite useful. Was hoping there would be support for Tidal Masters, with them mentioning hi res audio, but that doesn’t seem to have changed.

Can I ask how you made the switch to S2.
Ive had no prompt to do so.

I didn't either... just go to App store and update current app to S1, then inside the app there's an option to upgrade to S2 for those pieces of equipment that are compatible, which I haven't yet.

Last edited:
I didn't either... just go to App store and update current app to S1, then inside the app there's an option to upgrade to S2 for those pieces of equipment that are compatible, which U haven't yet.

Thanks. I’d got S1 but had no idea S2 was there to upgrade to today ;)

Groups is interesting for S2. I was on the beta for a prior release a few months ago and that supported groups before it was removed. So it could work on S1 and not just S2 configurations.

As I feared, split my Sonos system to try High Res audio files from my NAS on my new Sonos Port and some Play 1's but High Resolution FLAC and ALAC is not supported on S2. Well they will play 24-Bit files, but only at 44.1KHz, nothing above that will play. So when ARE we getting this support then?

Screenshot_20200608-164453_Sonos_copy_432x912.jpg

Screenshot_20200608-164508_Sonos_copy_432x912.jpg

To be honest I didn't expect a major leap forward in features for this new S2 software, I imagined it might have a reskin and offer a few extra things and it looks like that is the case.

What I do believe though is that it should be seen as a solid starting point to which they can add a lot more in the future. I'm speaking with my software developers hat on :)

Updated mine this morning to S2 (5x Play:1's, 1x Port) No problems, looking forward to future updates.

I'll only update when something major comes along. I'll only be losing one Play5 but I want to keep it in my system as long as possible.

I've found one change to the ui that I don't really like.... they've made the time played and time remaining information for the track disappear after a few seconds and you have to tap on the progress bar to see it again. I do like to see this information when playing back my FLAC files but maybe it's because I'm used to always seeing it.

I don't understand changes like that. In what way does hiding it benefit the user?

I don't understand changes like that. In what way does hiding it benefit the user?
Change for the sake of change really, somebody somewhere adding bits like this to the update to justify their employment.

I’ve taken the plunge to replace my ageing Connect with a Port. The only issue I anticipate is the two older Android tablets in the house that won’t be supported - I’m assuming this will prevent the rest of the system moving to the new software, is this accurate?

I'm not sure that it checks your tablet and phones for compatibility if the first device you update the app on is a newish one that the new software supports. If so it will probably let you go to the new software on the device concerned and then update your whole system. You then won't be able to get the new app

I'm only having an educated guess though :)

For those like me that didn't take up the Sonos offer back late last year (?) for 30% off a Boost from a Bridge trade in, it appears Sonos have re-enabled this offer on their website. When I pre-ordered the Sonos Five a couple of weeks ago it wasn't available, but when I check on order status today, it was, so I've got the 30% off a Boost logged should I want it in the future. Fully aware one can get a boost off Ebay for cira 50 quid.

As an aside, looks like the Black Five is also on back order like the White Five now.

I've split my system into two now. Bit of pain having to sort out TuneIn favourites and add NAS library again to the S1 app, but worked ok nonetheless. So have 3 x Play 1's, Play 3 and Port on S2 and Connect, Play 5, Bridge on S1.

As I feared, split my Sonos system to try High Res audio files from my NAS on my new Sonos Port and some Play 1's but High Resolution FLAC and ALAC is not supported on S2. Well they will play 24-Bit files, but only at 44.1KHz, nothing above that will play. So when ARE we getting this support then?

View attachment 1314219

View attachment 1314221
Yes total swizz thought this was meant to be proper Hi-Res but with limited sample rates it's nothing of the sort. Looking at their website it says they support, so half the Qobuz Hi-Res albums I've bought will not play at all :-

Supported bit depth
  • 16-bit
Sonos S2 system only
  • 24-bit (44.1kHz/48kHz, FLAC/ALAC)
Supported sample rates
  • 16,000 Hz
  • 22,050 Hz
  • 24,000 Hz
  • 32,000 Hz
  • 44,100 Hz
  • 48,000 Hz

Yes total swizz thought this was meant to be proper Hi-Res but with limited sample rates it's nothing of the sort. Looking at their website it says they support, so half the Qobuz Hi-Res albums I've bought will not play at all :-

Supported bit depth
  • 16-bit
Sonos S2 system only
  • 24-bit (44.1kHz/48kHz, FLAC/ALAC)
Supported sample rates
  • 16,000 Hz
  • 22,050 Hz
  • 24,000 Hz
  • 32,000 Hz
  • 44,100 Hz
  • 48,000 Hz

My worry is that they won't ever support above 48KHz sample rate... just as I've invested in a new Port! I acknowledge that Hi-Res is unlikely to be beneficial on anything other than a Port or Sonos Amp hooked up to some decent speakers, but if we will be limited to 48KHz that is extremely misleading marketing from Sonos!

I'm not sure that it checks your tablet and phones for compatibility if the first device you update the app on is a newish one that the new software supports. If so it will probably let you go to the new software on the device concerned and then update your whole system. You then won't be able to get the new app

I'm only having an educated guess though :)
You’re probably right, at least it seems like a sensible guess. The only old tablet I’m bothered about is my daughter’s; it’s an Amazon Fire tablet, about two years old, she uses it to control the Play:1 in her bedroom. Will be a bit annoying if it needs replacement but I suspect that’s what will happen.

Exactly, I held off culling a few Sonos devices due to S2, I even bought a few more. I have some Naim, Bluesound & Pi Roon devices that already do Hi-Res so where I can I get the Hi-Res version of albums, but if it now means they will not play on the Sonos devices that's a bit pants and I will have to double download different versions, or maybe I'll just ditch Sonos, it's nice and easy to use but just behind on the technology front.. I swear previous, it would actually play the Hi-Res stuff but presumed it was just downsampling it to CD quality, maybe I've remembered that wrong..

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom