AVForums Sonos Play:5/Play:3/Play:1 Discussion

It would mean i'll be selling all my Sonos :)
Really? Why out of interest? You just hate Apple or something or something deeper than that

Probably a bit drastic selling them! No I don't like Apple as a tech company, years of stifling innovation in the industry for their own gains. It's been rumoured for years anyway, I would've thought Amazon buying them would be more likely as they seem to already have a good relationship. Can't see Google buying them!

I hope it does happen, at least then I can sell my worthless shares.

These days I try not to worry or even think about things that I have no control over, so whatever happens we’ll just have to see :)

Anyone got any thoughts on what an Apple buyout might mean for Sonos?

If you look at Beats they have kept the identify/brand strong and integrated it within the group with a little bit of product development alongside AirPods but essentially little change but still fits nicely.

I would guess that they will do something similar. Sonos is a name and brand that will be valuable to them.
I can see better integration of Apple Music of course and voice integration across existing Apple and Sonos products adding Siri/HomeKit but also keeping but rebranding the “Sonos HomePod” into the range.
I’m then guessing and hoping that Sonos product development team will then continue with a touch of Apple finesse over seeing it.
With the launch of Arc, which seems to be a big hit for Sonos getting further into Home Theatre, it is a product that could really be developed alongside Apple TV future incarnations. That could be interesting.

One thing that Sonos do really well is SonosNet (Mesh) so that could be an opportunity to get back into the networking side of things? Of all my voice assistant smart things, I do find Siri hit and miss, Alexa similar but Google highly accurate.

Interesting to see what happens, IF it happens!

Agree with everything you’ve said but I think it’s fair to say with potential for new overear cans coming from Apple this year, we’ll likely see Beats disappear as a brand, after all, Apple bought them to strengthen their online music setup

Last edited:
There have been rumours for a while about Apple looking to phase out the Beats branding. There are examples of them retaining names after acquisition, though, like Siri and Shazam.

Whether they’re interested in Sonos is a different matter, especially as all the analysts think they see services increasingly as a revenue stream. Can see a lot of Apple-haters ditching or not buying more Sonos products if Apple owns it. Maybe they’re better off finding easier/quicker ways to convert people to Apple Music via Sonos. But really, who knows. Anything’s possible.

Hi, not sure if I should ask this here or in the specific Arc thread. However I will ask here anyway.

I may pull the plug soon on an Arc, Gen 3 sub and 2 x SL’s to complete the home cinema set up.

However I may also pic up 2 x Play 5’s specifically for music, if I wanted to link the 2 x Fives to the sub, would I need to remove it from the home cinema group and have to create a new one, linking to the paired Fives? And have to go through the Trueplay process again?

Or can the sub be linked to more than one group of speakers at the same time?

I think just one group at a time

Hi, not sure if I should ask this here or in the specific Arc thread. However I will ask here anyway.

I may pull the plug soon on an Arc, Gen 3 sub and 2 x SL’s to complete the home cinema set up.

However I may also pic up 2 x Play 5’s specifically for music, if I wanted to link the 2 x Fives to the sub, would I need to remove it from the home cinema group and have to create a new one, linking to the paired Fives? And have to go through the Trueplay process again?

Or can the sub be linked to more than one group of speakers at the same time?

Have a play with the ones sub arc first for music and then decide wether you need any one or two fives.
unless you have a huge room or are audiophole obsessed the surround setup for music isn’t that bad And there are quite a few audio settings to fiddle with, like turning the SL’s to play as full speakers as opposed to ambient for music play back.

Have a play with the ones sub arc first for music and then decide wether you need any one or two fives.
unless you have a huge room or are audiophole obsessed the surround setup for music isn’t that bad And there are quite a few audio settings to fiddle with, like turning the SL’s to play as full speakers as opposed to ambient for music play back.

Cheers, just ordered an Arc, sub, 2 x SLs and a Five. So will give them a good test when they (eventually) arrive.

Does anyone think that my 2x ZP90 and 1x ZP120 devices are worth advertising for sale? I've registered them for trade-up but they can still be used with the old software. I don't use them any more as I'm on the new software.

I certainly think it's worth listing.....they are still very usable and should continue to be so on the S1 app ...maybe just mention they've been used to trade up (not with the original process that bricked them and that no discounts can be obtained using them)

I'm sure someone will take them off your hands as they are still more than capable.....not sure on prices though...maybe look on various selling sites for recently sold items

I see my reply has been deleted. I'd like to make it clear that I wasn't offering them for sale on this thread and I know the rules :)

I’ve just put a Connect for sale in the classifieds today, if anybody’s interested. I was encouraged by the discussion between @HMHB and @jouster as my Connect has also been used in the trade up offer.

I’ve just put a Connect for sale in the classifieds today, if anybody’s interested. I was encouraged by the discussion between @HMHB and @jouster as my Connect has also been used in the trade up offer.

Good luck, let us know how you get on please:) I really need to get my act together and decide what to do with mine :)

Sure will do! I thought maybe it was a bit cheeky selling the Connect when I’ve already used it for the trade up. But it still works perfectly with the S1 software and would suit someone with a system that includes legacy kit, or maybe even someone dipping their tow into the Sonos waters for the first time. It was my first Sonos device, the one that got me hooked!

Sure will do! I thought maybe it was a bit cheeky selling the Connect when I’ve already used it for the trade up. But it still works perfectly with the S1 software and would suit someone with a system that includes legacy kit, or maybe even someone dipping their tow into the Sonos waters for the first time. It was my first Sonos device, the one that got me hooked!

Why is it cheeky? You’re selling a product that still works well, not the discount associated with it.

Think it’s completely fine to be selling something because it still performs a task well

Why is it cheeky? You’re selling a product that still works well, not the discount associated with it.

Think it’s completely fine to be selling something because it still performs a task well
That was my conclusion in the end too. I’ve made it clear in the ad so it’s not like I’m hiding the fact. And it will still serve someone well if they are not planning to move to the new software any time soon.

I am puzzled by difficulty in setting up voice control by Alexa on Sonos. I had it working on a pair of Ones. I then set them as surrounds to a Beam and Alexa would not work correctly. I set up Google but didn’t really use it. The Beam is in mothballs with the arrival of the Arc and I thought I would try again.
I say “Alexa play Classic FM”
It says “Classic FM by Global Player” and then a big fat silence.
That’s all I want it to do for now. But I have given up. Life is too short. Unless someone has a bright idea?

I am puzzled by difficulty in setting up voice control by Alexa on Sonos. I had it working on a pair of Ones. I then set them as surrounds to a Beam and Alexa would not work correctly. I set up Google but didn’t really use it. The Beam is in mothballs with the arrival of the Arc and I thought I would try again.
I say “Alexa play Classic FM”
It says “Classic FM by Global Player” and then a big fat silence.
That’s all I want it to do for now. But I have given up. Life is too short. Unless someone has a bright idea?
What about other radio stations? Sometimes I get the silence you mention when I ask for Radio X.

What about other radio stations? Sometimes I get the silence you mention when I ask for Radio X.
When I asked for BBC Radio Ulster I got a warning about explicit material.

I tried again for Radio Ulster. Another voice said BBC Sounds. Then silence.

Success. I wiped all the skills from Alexa. Removed all devices. Removed Alexa from Sonos and deleted Alexa from phone. I started again from scratch.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom